All Grain

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

haludar

All Grain

Post by haludar »

Ok so i have been doing extract brewing for a while now and want to try an all grain batch. I think i understand the process enough to make an attempt but i have a question for the experts on this forum. my question is after i sparge and return for the boil would it be all right to split my boil volume in half and boil both halves for the same amount of time. IE: lets say my boil volume is six gallons set to boil 90 minutes would it be alright to split it into two three gallon batchs set to boil 90 minutes. If so would i hop both batchs equally and then mix when they have both completed a 90 minute boil?
Thank you in advance for your time
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Split Boils...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

You certainly can do this, but if you were ever to go to full volume boils after doing this, you would have to adjust the hopping somewhat because of the effects of volume on utilization.
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Most Definitely

Post by BillyBock »

Haludar: Oh yea...most definitely. I used to do this when I first started AG and was still in the kitchen. Go to Wal-mart for a few inexpensive stainless steel pots and you're good to go. After collecting the runnings, I would stir the wort to try and limit stratification and then separate into individual pots.
haludar

Post by haludar »

so if i were to do this how would i fix the hop effectiveness would i need more or less boiling time or more or less hops im not sure
haludar

success...so far...i think

Post by haludar »

Ok so i brewed my first all grain batch today. I have been doing extract w/special grains for a while. and i overshot my OG by atleast 8 points beer smith put my OG at 1.062 and the calculator here put me at 1.059 and i hit 1.070. Is this good, Is this bad. I don't know what to think.
some one please help me
haludar

success...so far... i think

Post by haludar »

8 lbs. English 2-row Pale info
1 lbs. German CaraRed info
1 lbs. Crystal Malt 40
littlehop
Light Lager
Light Lager

final gravity

Post by littlehop »

assuming extraction was on schedule with the recipe I'd guess evaporation during the boil. what volume did you end up with? This would also effect hop utilization due to higher gravity during boil, if there is room in fermentor you could add water to lower gravity.It will still be beer maybe just not as balanced.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.