Progress of first batch

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

lootcorp
Light Lager
Light Lager

Progress of first batch

Post by lootcorp »

Hi guys,

Well the first batch (a summer ale) is now in the secondary, scheduled to be bottled this weekend (1 week primary, 2 week secondary, planning 2 weeks bottle conditioning)

Siphoning and all went ok - had past experience from fishtanks when I was a kid, so at least i didn't go in *completely* blind! :)

Just a few questions - first, once I moved the primary to the kitched to rack (tried to move it very gently), the airlock started firing up again. Once transferred into secondary, the secondary airlock showed some good activity for a day. is this normal?? I was slightly surprised to see some more activity after I was pretty sure fermentation was just about done (SG is somewhere around 1.007, I was expecting 1.010, but I made a lot of tiny mistakes on this first batch so I'm just hoping it tastes good!)

I plan on bottling Friday night and taking a single bottle, chilling on Sunday night, and having a little taste test. I know it won't be conditioned and carbonated fully, but I hope it will taste ok! Previous taste tests reveal it certainly tastes like beer, albeit warm and flat beer! :)

Thanks once again guys, this forum rocks!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Outgassing

Post by BillyBock »

Congrats! The airlock activity you saw was just CO2 outgassing--coming out of solution...perfectly normal. I'm sure it'll taste great.

Brew on!