Speciality Grains and all grain brewing

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Sapper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Speciality Grains and all grain brewing

Post by Sapper »

I am an extract w/specialty grains brewer from way back.
I have had excellent results steeping the grains for these recipes.
I brewed my first all grain batch Saturday.
Most of the literature I have researched is unclear about what to do with the specialty grain (crystal malt etc) in an all grain procedure.
In my ignorance I conducted my mash, lauter and filled up my brewpot with wort. Then I steeped the grain for 30 minutes in the wort.
In retrospect I feel like that was not the best thing to do.

Is it standard procedure to put the specialty grains in the mash?
If not, should I steep them seperately?
If steeping is the answer, do I wash with the steeping water or add it to the wort? This seems wrong because it would lower the gravity.

My feeling is to mash all the grains together, but I would like to hear what everybody else is doing.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

In the Mash

Post by BillyBock »

For convenience and simplicity, place all your grains in the mash. Since specialty grains like caramel malts and roasted malts don't contribute fermentables you can add them at the start of the mash or at the end of the mash right before sparging. Some people do this on stouts when they're looking for a less prominent roast flavor. Personally, all my malts go in at the beginning--it's one less thing for me to forget :D
Sapper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks

Post by Sapper »

Thanks for the tip.

I'm glad the right answer is the simple answer.