Help With Lager Recipes

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

jam_phan

Help With Lager Recipes

Post by jam_phan »

Hello, I'm new to this site and new to brewing. I have brewed two batches now both basically the same. On the brewing note the brewing tutorial on this site was a great resource. I have a question about the lager recipes on this site. I read somewhere that lager's have to be fermentated at a lower temperature. If I wanted to make one of them do I have to Ferment it at a lower temperature? Thanks

Stephen
gene
Light Lager
Light Lager

Help With Lager Recipes

Post by gene »

yes if you want it to be a lager. the lager yeast works below 60
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You can get away with room temp's

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Jam, Welcome to the Forum,

True lagering requires slow cool - cold temperatures for extended periods of time, Example true Oktoberfest requiers 90 days right at freezing temperatures to be "authentic" but to answer your question,

Yes you can get away with fermenting at room temp's, you may not get the creamy effervesence of the lager yeast and the esters may blend their way through, but I brewed "lager" yeast beers at room temp (65-70 F) for years before I could afford a temp controlled chest freezer for lagering in with no (at least to me) noticable adversed affects OK? So go for it, and

"DON'T WORRY (make) and HAVE A HOMEBREW"

Others please give this person a hand with your experiences ...

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Maturation is the real reason.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Stephen,

There is more to lager beers than just cold storage. You hit on the main point, the yeast. Lager yeast 'tends' to work better in cooler temperatures, or you make "steam" beer. However the real reason for cooling beer down is to allow it to mature while having an extended period of contact with the yeast, this helps prevent autolylsis. Making a 'good' ale is relatively easy, while making a 'good' lager is a little more complex.

Lager is usually lower in gravity than ales and require a lighter finish. This does not allow for as much 'cover-up' as in ale brewing. Brewer talk about 'top' and 'bottom' fermenting yeast but that is not the whole truth. Today we brew using a hybrid that exibits both behaviors (or work within a range). The real answer is maltotriose which is present in ales and not in lagers. This sugar is complex and takes time for the yeast to reduce. That is one of the reasons for lagering. The second is to blend and mellow the 'green' flavors 'out' of the finished beer.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
jam_phan

Post by jam_phan »

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm getting a better understanding now. I think I'm going to make a few more ale's and maybe some stouts and then move on to a Lager.
Lagermeister

Post by Lagermeister »

I agree with Tom 100%. Personally I would brew ales before moving on to lagers. One reason is, it will be ready much sooner then a lager. Plus you really do need to slowly bring the temperature down to 31 to 32 degrees for lagering. I am currently lagering a Marzen Octoberfest, which I am not planning on drinking until June of 2005. The key is to control the temperature for an extended period of time and using a temperature controlled freezer/cooler makes it a lot easier.

Lagermeister
Father Flanagan once said: "I never met a beer I didn't like" or was that someone else?