"Cold Salad" or pre mash moisting

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Mirabeau
Light Lager
Light Lager

"Cold Salad" or pre mash moisting

Post by Mirabeau »

Read in a 19th century french brewing manual that they used a method called "Cold Salad" ou "Salade
Jean-Luc
Webmaster of a homebrewers forum
(french spoken)
http://www.brassageamateur.com/forum
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by DreamWeaver »

I was kinda hoping for some kind of reply. I too was curious about doing something similar while Homebrewing this weekend. I have been using 2 row Briess highly modified malt and still have a little chill haze that must be, I'm guessing, do to a lack of a protein rest. I usually do a single infusion mash. I am hindered by my 48Qt cooler but have tried this on my last batch and it seemed to have worked a bit but the beer is still conditioning in the bottle and has'nt been chilled yet.

I tried a lazy attempt at a protein rest with .75qts water per lb of grain, at 130*F for 15 minutes. (That part made me nervous, looked like cookie dough) Then I added .75 qts of (near) boiling water to that for a 60 minute saccharification rest and ended up at 157*F after a few adjustments, with not enough room to mashout but I tried adding as much water as I could anyways. I need to choose which is more important with my equipment... a mashout or protein rest especially when I do a 10 gallon batch.
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...
Mirabeau
Light Lager
Light Lager

Cold salad

Post by Mirabeau »

I don't understand your concern...
I was just talking about a "cold" rest, even before protein rest.
A french member of my homebrew forum http://www.barranger.net/forum told me that a protein rest should remain around 15mn, when I was doing a 30mn one...
the cold salad is totally different, as its only a cold moisting of freshly crushed grains, before mashing.
I'd bet that in the case of your "chill haze", it could help, but may bring a slightly deeper colour to your beer...
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by DreamWeaver »

My concern was to achieve a clearer beer & was interested in a proven method, if you had one. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...