Adding Fruits during fermentation

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Mirabeau
Light Lager
Light Lager

Adding Fruits during fermentation

Post by Mirabeau »

Hi All !

A member of my french speaking Homebrewers Forum is asking about when adding fruits such as raspberries (frozen) to its batch.

I recommanded to add it during secondary fermentation as his primary is low to start, after having the fruits boiled for sterilization.

What's your opinion ?

Thanks for all

Add have fun with brewing...
Jean-Luc
Webmaster of a homebrewers forum
(french spoken)
http://www.brassageamateur.com/forum
blksabbath

Post by blksabbath »

Don't boil them...simply steep them in water at 150-160' F for 15-20 min. Then transfer the beer from your primary on top of the fruit in the secondary. Let it sit for a week or two or three and then transfer it to a tertiary fermenter for maybe a week. The last step is basically so your beer can clear up before you bottle. It get's rid of the fruit gunk.

good luck and hope this helps

EDIT: Wow! didn't notice how old this post was....the guy's probably made 20 batches by now.
BEER!!
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Yes I agree

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

I agree with the last post about adding fruit. And will stress that a tertiary fermentor is needed especially if kegging the beer.

Nate
JimK

Post by JimK »

I am drinking a wheat beer that I had added 2 gallons of handpicked Black Caps (black raspberries) to in the last 10 minutes of the boil. This was brewed a few weeks ago, and since then I have read many posts and found that I probably messed up. However, though it didn't taste the best out of the keg when it was four weeks old, it has come into it's own after six weeks. The thing I really like about it, is that it isn't sweet. There is a definite Black Cap taste, and the color is a dark purple. My question would be, will adding the berries after steeping them as you suggest change the character of the beer? Would it end up sweeter than mine did? Would I need to use less berries for the same effect, or would the secondary fermentation that would be sure to start up, take care of the extra sugar contained by the berries. I don't want a sweet beer.