Settlement

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Scurry

Settlement

Post by Scurry »

I have only brewed two batches of beer and I have noticed a settlement at the bottom of the bottles in both batches. Is this normal, or did I make a rookie mistake? I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

The Sediment is

Post by fitz »

The sediment you are seeing is the yeast coming out of suspension. It is very normal, and with out the yeast, you wouldn't have beer or carbonation. If the sediment bothers you, decant you beer into a glass slowly, and stop when the yeast starts to come out of the bottle. It is actually good for you, high in vitamins. It doesn't make the beer look as pretty though. You can make the sediment thinner, by using a secondary fermenter. You could also, force carbonate, but that would be something for you to decide after you have brewed a while.
Scurry

Sediment

Post by Scurry »

Thanks for the information. I am relieved to hear the sediment is normal.

By the way, I have been studying for the Bar exam for the past two months (brewing my beer has been pretty much my only diversion), which hopefully explains why I referred to the "sediment" as "the settlement". Duh.