Question on partial mashing and a request for recipe help

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

newbrewdude

Question on partial mashing and a request for recipe help

Post by newbrewdude »

1) I'm new to brewing. I want to do partial mashing. I plan to use a grain bag, heat the water in a seperate stock pot to the mashing temp and then stick in a preheated oven (heat and then turn off) to mash. The question is, what is sparging exactly and why does everyone talk about a stuck sparge? Is it just passing extra hot water over the grains so you get all of the sugar (and flavour)? I was planning on mashing with about 1/2 the volume of water. Then I'd heat the other 1/2 to about 165F in the brew pot. When the mash was complete, I could take the grain bag out of the mash pot and soak in the fresh brewpot water to get everything out of the grains.

2) Looking for a nice (tried and true) red ale recipe. Something along the lines of a Kilkenny or so, nothing exact like a clone, but something someone has a favorite one in their toolkit. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Stuck Mash is ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Newbrewdude,

A stuck mash comes from exactly what it sounds like, stuck. What happens in an all grain recipe, one would use any where from 8 - 14 pounds of grain, and certain grains like rye are gooy. So that after the mashing process is complete and one would sprage, (pass hot water 165-170F over the grain bed) and extract al of the goodies out the lauter tun screen at the bottom of the grain bed becomes clogged causing the sparge water to stop or slow down to an unacceptable rate hence "Stuck Sparge".

Hope this quick explanation helps.

Regards,

Paul.
newbrewdude

Thanks Azorean Brewer

Post by newbrewdude »

I've been readin up a bit, but that's not the same as having actually done it. I'm on 2 batches and looking to start the next shortly. I appreciate the help.

I think the method I'm thinking of for partial mash will work fine then. It's basically like making a 2nd cup of tea with the grain bag and then combining the 2 cups of tea together for boiling, except that it is wort not tea.

Any suggestions on a nice ale recipe? I'm still experimenting, but it's daunting trying to figure out what to try. There's a lot of info out on the web, but not a lot with recommendations from people who have actually tried it. Or, at least I cannot find many with actually recommendations.

Regardless, thank you for the response.