Diluting after fermentation

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

jmarkey

Diluting after fermentation

Post by jmarkey »

I was wondering what kind of ill effects I may have by diluting my homebrew after primary fermentation (when tranferred to secondary)? I just made a stout that will potentially be a little stronger than I wanted (O.G. 1.064), and may want to want to knock the alcohol down a little (after tasting after primary, of course.) Plus, I was considering steeping some black patent malt in the dilution water to darken up the brew a little.

Any opinions?

Thanks.
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Dilute, yes; grains, no

Post by richanne »

You can go ahead and dilute with water, but I wouldn't steep grains in it. Too many potential problems.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

De-aerated H2O

Post by BillyBock »

You'll need to make sure the water is de-aerated. Boil it and cool it before combining it with your beer. Otherwise you'll end up oxidizing your precious nectar.
Sisu
Light Lager
Light Lager

I've done it...

Post by Sisu »

I've added extra steeped grains in boiled water to a beer I thought was not sweet enough for style. Worked just fine. No problems. I'm very anal about sterile technique, however. I steeped my grains as usual, removed the grains, then boiled for at least 10 minutes, and finally cooled to room temperature before adding to the beer.
If it's not perfect (it'll still be good), then just drink it and try again....

"Hmmmm... beer."

Tim