Tiny Bubbles

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Dark Ale

Tiny Bubbles

Post by Dark Ale »

I was wondering if any one knew how to duplicate the tiny bubbles in some styles like guiness?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Nitrogen

Post by BillyBock »

Guinness uses a combination of nitrogen and CO2, called "Beer Gas". I think it's 75% Nitrogen, 25% CO2, or close to it. Nitrogen isn't soluble, so the CO2 goes into the beer. Less CO2 means less filling and therefore less burping. The nitrogen helps give it that creamy texture. Additionally, draught Guinness uses a special faucet to further aid the creamy texture. You could simulate the effect by using a creamer faucet which would whip the head up but still use your standard CO2 setup. Of course, it wouldn't be "exactly" the same thing, and you might want to lower the carbonation level for effect.
Dark Ale

thanks

Post by Dark Ale »

So if I did not carbonate my beer much and dispensed it with nitrogen through a creamer head I would get a close approximatin then. I was hoping it would be some sort of brewing trick.But thanks I will try it. regards
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Tiny bubbles in my beer, keeps me happy through the year

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

I have tried, with some success generous portions of flaked barley, dextrine malt, and hops combined with low-carbonation. The flaked barley will help with giving the creamy head, the dextrine malt increases mouthfeel and head-retention, retaining good head is something everyone worries about. The hops will also help with the head retention. I think I read somewhere that wheat malt would help with the retention as well. Also low-carbonation seems to do the trick as well for small bubbles.