Hops filtering

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Mirabeau
Light Lager
Light Lager

Hops filtering

Post by Mirabeau »

Hi guys,

I'm just curious about a bench of all your hops filtering solutions such as whirlpool various technics, rest, centrifuging, filters, etc...

Thanks for your feedback

Cheers

JLuc
Bowhunter
Light Lager
Light Lager

Bagging It

Post by Bowhunter »

I use filtering bags. I have great success and they are not expensive.

Tom
Mirabeau
Light Lager
Light Lager

even with pellets ?

Post by Mirabeau »

wich bring a lot of hop dust ?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I use whole hops and a screen

Post by jayhawk »

I siphon my wort out of my kettle through a counterflow chiller. I have a steel screen that I use to sheath the copper siphon tube and it keeps the hops out. THis only works with whole hops though. The mess left after using pellets will clog the screen too, so I just don't use pellets. Now that I think about it though, I have never tried whirlpooling with pellets, so that may be a solution to my pellet problem.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I use

Post by fitz »

I use pantyhose on the pellet hops. Do yourself a favor, use only white or a natural one though. They are finer than traditional hop bags.
beerlover
Light Lager
Light Lager

? on Panty House

Post by beerlover »

I use panty hose for steeping grain 150-170F but was concerned about using the panty house for hops in a boil (220F +). They don't melt or anything? THey hold up ok?
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I used

Post by fitz »

I used them once out of necessity, and I had good results, except the one batch where I used black, but the yeast did what it was supposed to and cleared the black tint from the beer prior to bottling. I haven't had any off flavors, melt downs, or other mis-haps with them. They are finer mesh than hop/steeping bags, and you get multiple "bags" out of each pair. Make sure you give the hops plenty of room to expand when they are hydrated.