Pilsner question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Pilsner question

Post by joemez »

I just fired up a pilsner kit and I noticed the yeast is a lager yeast. I always thought pilsners fermented at ale temps.
I set the chiller to 55 deg F. Is that a good setting? Also, should I expect fermentation to start as quickly as an ale? I have some room in my keg fridge so I am planning on putting it in the fridge(40deg.) for a bit after primary is over. A good Idea or no?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Pilsner Answer

Post by BillyBock »

Pilsners are actually lager beers. However, in a pinch you can ferment beers with lager yeast at ale temps--just expect some fruitness. Typically lagers take a lot longer to ferment than ales. My primary phases usually last at least 2 weeks, but normally toward three weeks. As far as temperature, depending on the yeast strain, they can handle anywhere from 40F up to 65F. Normally, the range is 45-55F. As far as how quickly the ferment will start--that all depends on the temperature of the wort when you pitched, and the size of the starter you pitched. If you pitched while the wort was warm (say at ale temps) you will generally get a quick start. If you pitched at your actual ferment temp, then generally it will take longer to start. What strain of yeast are you using? Is it liquid or dry? This summer, all my lagers have been fermented at 55F. Your setting of 40F for a secondary should be decent as well. After the ferment I drop my beer down to kegs at 28F-30F for the rest of their remaining life :-) Greg Noonan's book, "Brewing Lager Beer" is a good read on the subject.

Hope this helps.

v/r
Bill
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

thanks Billy

Post by joemez »

Ok, sounds good. I am glad it is cold here, otherwise I dont think I would be able to get my chiller down to 55.
I used dry yeast pitched at 65 deg, so I would expect fermentation to start within 24 hours or so?
The secondary may be a bit lower than 40, now that I checked my fridge temp(probably in mid to high 30's). I would assume that should be fine, right?
This will be my very first Lager!!! wooohoooo
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

No Problem

Post by BillyBock »

With lager yeasts I'd say you should see something out of the airlock definitely in 48 hours since they act slow. Any longer and I'd start to worry. I assume you've been cooling it since it was pitched? I'm in the same boat on this latest batch yesterday. I pitched at 65F while cooling down to 50F. The wort is now at 55F so it's in lager range now. But I won't expect to see any airlock activity for a bit because my fermenter is a 15gal plastic conical. Remember, before you see activity the yeast have to saturate the wort with CO2, and then fill the airspace above the wort before you'll see the first burps out of the airlock.

Are you using a glass carboy or plastic bucket? If you're concerned take a peek in your chiller. If it's plastic, shine a flashlight to the side of the bucket and look for the shadow of a krausen ring. If it's glass and you don't see a krausen ring forming on top, then look for whispy circle laces/islands of bubbles on top of the wort. These are indications of fermentation--even if you don't see any airlock activity. Depending on airlock type (I use a 3-piece), the internal pressure of the fermenter may not be enough yet to release the gas even though fermentation is evident.

What dry lager yeast was it? I'm a Saflager S-23 fan myself. If you're going to use a secondary temperature that low, make sure the primary ferment is complete--otherwise you'll drastically slow the yeast down. To clear up any confusion by what I may not have said, note that my primary and secondary are actually in the same vessel since I use a conical--2-3 weeks for primary, 1-2 weeks for secondary. Then into the kegs at 28F for lagering for weeks and weeks and weeks and....seems like eons sometimes. The rough rule I've seen written is a minimum of 8 weeks of lagering. That's a long time, so make sure you brew plenty and often to keep your stocks up to get you through these waiting periods :-)

v/r
Bill
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

that's a long time!

Post by joemez »

I had no Idea it would take that long. Oh well, at least I have 2 batches on tap right now... Thank God!!
I see those air bubbles on the top(I am using a glass carboy) so it looks like were on our way. I'm gonna be changing ice twice a day though, just to get it to stay under 55.
I also used saflager s-23.