After primary fermentation...

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

estormo

After primary fermentation...

Post by estormo »

I've got a recipe that calls for a 1/2 ounce of Cascade (dry hop) to be siphoned into the secondary fermenter, and then bottle with 1.25 cups of extra-light DME. I feel like I'm being ignorant here, but how do I do this?! Do I boil the Cascade hops in water and then add? The same with DME? Please help -- the primary fermentation is nearly complete!
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Dry Hop

Post by KBrau »

Some people beleive that dry hopping will contaminate your beer because they are unboiled, however the alcohol in your beer will probably be antiseptic enough to minimize any bacterial growth. Just to be safe you may want to steam the hops for a few minutes before adding them to your secondary. As for the DME it is just a replacement for corn sugar when you bottle. You can dissolve it in boiling water just as you would corn sugar and then add it to your beer when it cools. The only thing you should keep in mind is that when you are conditioning with DME as opposed to corn sugar, it will take longer for the carbonation to complete.