Yeast Pitching Temperature

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Dr Funkenstein

Yeast Pitching Temperature

Post by Dr Funkenstein »

I am using Coopers dry yeast and the instructions are to add yeast to 105 degree water and let set for a few to rehydrate. I have been reading where when you pitch yeast, the wort is to be cooled to 80 degrees.
What would the results be if the yeast is pitched into a wort that hasn't been all the way cooled, say maybe around 100 to 105 degrees?
Thanks for any info with this question.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Don't Do That

Post by BillyBock »

What will happen is your yeast will multiply quickly and begin fermenting like a rocket before your wort has had a chance to cool down to the proper temperature range. The end result will be a very fast ferment and a funky tasting brew.

v/r
Bill
Dr Funkenstein

Is There any Salvation?

Post by Dr Funkenstein »

That seems to have happened. On Nov 5, I received an emergency call and had to leave during the cooldown of the wort. Girlfriend misread the rest of the procedure and walla!
The fermentation has come to a halt it seems. The temperature is at 66 degrees, and was wondering, is this batch a lost cause?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Only One Way to Find Out

Post by BillyBock »

Well....the only way to find out is to bottle/keg it, let it age, and see what happens. Elevated temperatures will cause fusel alcohols to be created (that's the funk I was referring to)...this will lend it a "solvent-like" aroma.

It's not over 'til the fat lady sings. So let it cold age and in the meantime work on another batch to get your stocks replenished.

v/r
Bill
Dr Funkenstein

Thanks BillyBock

Post by Dr Funkenstein »

I appreciate the advice and will do just that.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I agree

Post by fitz »

I agree with Billy. You may want to age it a little more also.