help with boiling the wort??

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

help with boiling the wort??

Postby Krushull » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:45 pm

I was reading palmers guide to brewing and he says to use a large pot to boil up the wort. I only have about a 3-4 litre (about 1 gallon)pot to use and was wondering if this will be ok or will the malt, etc get burnt with lack of water?

Thanks if anyone can help.
Krushull

Get A Bigger Pot

Postby BillyBock » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:33 am

I think a 1 gallon pot is a bit too small--unless you make really small batches. Otherwise you'll risk scorching and boil overs. All is not lost. You can get stainless steel 20 qt stock pots from Wal-Mart for about $25 each. You can comfortably do a 3-4 gallon boil in that and then top your fermenter off with enough water to make 5 gallons.

v/r
Bill
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

How much beer do you need to make?

Postby bigdosgood » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:36 pm

This is the question. When I first started brewing, 6 months ago, I had about a 5 gallon pot but could only boil 3 or it woud boil over. Then, when the beer took longer to ferment and get where I coud drink it, i was upset that my friends and I killed it off in an afternoon! I also switched to egs, it goes farther and now I brew 10 gallons at a time!
bigdosgood
Light Lager
Light Lager

Tell Me About It

Postby BillyBock » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:40 pm

Oh yea....I started with 5 gallon batches but now I do 10 to 12 gallons batches anymore with a 15 gal kettle...mainly due to the increased demand from friends and neighbors :-) I keep half and the rest goes to them. Oddly, even though my beer's on tap, I'm still able to moderate my consumption as if it were in bottles. I hate to hear my keg run dr.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Postby Krushull » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:42 am

well I have a 25 litre fermenter
so I was going to make about 23 litres
thats about 6 gallons
so will probably boil up about 3 gallons
Krushull

Watch the ALC%

Postby fitz » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:24 am

If you are going to go that close to the volume in your fermentor, be careful how strong of a beer you are going to make. The yeast activity will make up the extra room quick. Try a 5 1/2 gallon batch to begin with. That way you'll know what to expect. A couple boil overs, and a few beer volcanoes in your fermentor, and you may consider another hobby. don't try to push too much out of a limited system.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yes be very careful

Postby Dr Strangebrew » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:12 pm

Make sure that you allow plenty of headspace in your fermenter especially for beers with a high OG. Also, and this goes hand in hand with high OG beers, make sure that if you pitch a large yeast starter you allow plenty of headspace. I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout with an OG of 1.132 I pitched 2 quarts of yeast and 2 packages of champagne yeast. The next day when I came home from work foam was rolling out the top of the fermenter. I cleaned it all up and removed much of the foam from the fermenting wort. Tthen a half an hour later when I checked it again foam was rolling off the top of the fermenter and was all over the floor like I had never cleaned anything up! Be careful about headspace!

Of course you also could use a blow-off tube. I have never used them, but someone here can probably tell you how to set one up.
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

You can

Postby fitz » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:04 am

You can use the blow off, but if you are trying to get the most bang out of your fermentor, you may lose a bunch in the blow off, and there is always the chance for infection, if not maintained. You can use a blowoff with your 3 piece airlock. Take the top off of it,and the bubble cap, and place a tube over the plastic pipe in the center of the airlock, run this down into a pan of water, and you have a blow off. If you are going to brew with a blowoff, make sure to clean it as when you can, a plugged blowoff can be dangerous, and it can also harbor bacteria in the nutrient rich wort.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Return to Techniques, Methods, Tips & How To