BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive C

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive C

Post by TCBrewguy »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|| Status: Bug Found ||
--------------------------
|| Note: Prob. Fixed ||
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not necessarily a bug, but upon starting 1.1, a dialog box appears announcing that BTP v1.0.28 is available for download and asking if we want to update.

Also, the shortcut Apple-P does not bring up the print dialog box. In fact the print option in the edit pulldown is grayed out. The print icon on the interface, however, appears to be working.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Menu Bar Icons missing

Post by billvelek »

TCBrewguy wrote:Not necessarily a bug, but upon starting 1.1, a dialog box appears announcing that BTP v1.0.28 is available for download and asking if we want to update. ... snip
Same here.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|| Status: Bug Found ||
--------------------------
|| Note: Prob. Fixed ||
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I immediately noticed that the icons are missing from the menu bar, or rather the bar right below it. I see some off colored squares where I think the icons should be, and mousing over them I see bubble messages like "new folder", "delete folder", "new item", "delete item", "save", and "save as copy".

My profile indicates WinXP Media Center, etc.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Search field might need some tweaking

Post by billvelek »

Let me start by saying that I'm very impressed so far, and I've barely done anything with the new program; I'm just looking around.

I really like the search function, but thought I found a bug in it so it might need a _little_ bit of work yet. Okay, when I was in the "Hops Inventory", and typed "Gold", it limited the list at the top to "Brewers Gold, East Kent Goldings, First Gold, Goldings, Styrian Goldings, Whitbread Golding (WGV) ... BUT it also tossed in Wye Target (not sure why, but that is not my main point); I REALLY like the way this feature works.

However, then I went to "Grains Inventory" and typed "brown" -- looking for brown malt, and the search didn't work, even after I hit my 'Enter' keyboard button. NOTE: this seems to be an intermittent problem because I have actually gotten it to work, but can't get it to work again. More on this: if I type "brown m" it goes to brown malt, but it seems like with the way its working elsewhere (all I need to type is "gol" to get the "gold" in the hops list), it ought to work with just "brown" without typing further. It's not a problem to type the 'M', but since I wasn't expecting to need to do that, I didn't try at first and just thought there was a problem.

Also, re the menu list on the left-side the screen, it seems to me that it might be a little backward. All of the 'regular' folders for grains, hops, etc., directly under the recipe folder, are empty, whereas the "Inventory" folders contain everything, which of course I don't have. Seems to me that I would have ALL grains listed in the NON-inventory 'grains' folder, and just the grains that I have on hand in the INVENTORY folder.

Finally, the +/- signs/commands in the directory tree did not work, i.e., when I first start BTP, the directory tree is collapsed and has '+' signs in front of 'Inventory', 'Ingredients', and 'Styles'; clicking on the '+' signs expands them, but then they did not want to collapse when I clicked on the '-' signs. I restarted the program and it works okay, so this is an intermittent problem.

That's all for now.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Search field might need some tweaking

Post by billvelek »

billvelek wrote:Also, re the menu list on the left-side the screen, it seems to me that it might be a little backward. All of the 'regular' folders for grains, hops, etc., directly under the recipe folder, are empty, whereas the "Inventory" folders contain everything, which of course I don't have. ... snip
Either I looked at it wrong, or there's an intermittent problem. I've restarted the program several times and things are like they should be re ingredients lists vs. inventory lists. Or maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me; I'll try to be more careful and try to duplicate problems before posting. Sorry.

Bill Velek
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

New Update

Post by jeff »

I just posted a new file. It seems to fix the missing icons and print menu item issues.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: New Update

Post by TCBrewguy »

jeff wrote:I just posted a new file. It seems to fix the missing icons and print menu item issues.
Print menu issue fixed for me.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

All of the menu buttons on the interface are grayed out (except the print button) when I open a new window.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Buttons

Post by jeff »

TCBrewguy wrote:All of the menu buttons on the interface are grayed out (except the print button) when I open a new window.
That sounds right. The buttons illuminate when they can be used, and only the print button can be used when a new window opens. The save icons don't become active until a recipe folder is selected, and the add and subtract buttons are activated based on the current selected item or folder. Since nothing is selected when a new window opens, the only thing you can do is print the blank recipe.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

jeff wrote:
TCBrewguy wrote:All of the menu buttons on the interface are grayed out (except the print button) when I open a new window.
That sounds right. The buttons illuminate when they can be used, and only the print button can be used when a new window opens. The save icons don't become active until a recipe folder is selected, and the add and subtract buttons are activated based on the current selected item or folder. Since nothing is selected when a new window opens, the only thing you can do is print the blank recipe.
Hmm...ok. I think I get that. I'm not sure I understand the inventory feature, however. I never keep ingredients on hand because I live so close to my LHBS. It doesn't seem like I can add new items to my ingredient database - only the inventory database. Is that correct? Also, how to you remove an item once you have dragged it into the recipe area?
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|| Status: Recorded ||
-------------------------
|| Note: Item Noted ||
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not a bug, but just a slight inaccuracy. The ingredient database lists Rahr malt as originating in Canada. While Rahr does have a malting facility in Canada, the company is headquartered just south of Minneapolis, MN, where its largest malting facility is located. :wink:
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

TCBrewguy wrote:snip ... Also, how to you remove an item once you have dragged it into the recipe area?
In the ingredients panel, right click on your mouse and then select "delete". To make this a little more intuitive as well as consistent, I suggest that the keyboard delete button also be able to do this as well as the "delete item" icon on the menu bar. That is the button that you click to delete an item from your ingredient list [edit: from the LIBRARY ingredient or inventory lists], and likewise it should be able to be deleted with a right-click drop-down menu command as well as the keyboard delete button. There's no point in doing deletions one way in one part of the screen, and a different way in another part of the screen -- in my humble opinion.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Last edited by billvelek on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

billvelek wrote:
TCBrewguy wrote:snip ... Also, how to you remove an item once you have dragged it into the recipe area?
In the ingredients panel, right click on your mouse and then select "delete". To make this a little more intuitive as well as consistent, I suggest that the keyboard delete button also be able to do this as well as the "delete item" icon on the menu bar. That is the button that you click to delete an item from your ingredient list, and likewise it should be able to be deleted with a right-click drop-down menu command as well as the keyboard delete button. There's no point in doing deletions one way in one part of the screen, and a different way in another part of the screen -- in my humble opinion.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
I agree.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Glitch in the 'Schedule' display

Post by billvelek »

When I click on a step in the 'Schedule' display, the name of the step disappears; it reappears if I click on a different step (which then disappears), but this is obviously a bug.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I'm also getting the version 1.0.28 update available popup on opening the program.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I'm also unable to add to the ingredients database. Also, once you are viewing the grains database you are unable to open a grain to adjust variables, I usually buy a whole sack of base malt and like to update the file to my lot analysis sheet that comes with the grain.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)