BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive C

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

mpaniagua's shopping list problem

Post by billvelek »

mpaniagua, I tried to duplicate your problem, but was not able to do so; I am using WindowsXP. I _think_ it might depend on how your ingredients got into BTP.

First, I couldn't find ANY of those four ingredients (labeled exactly as they appear in your recipe) in the master database. I assumed that you dragged some ingredients from the master database into your inventory folder and then renamed them. I did that, and then dragged those renamed ingredients to a recipe, and checked my shopping list and it worked just fine. See my screen shots here: http://home.alltel.net/billvelek/BTP-sh ... -test.html Since it worked okay, I decided it was probably because I still had those renamed ingredients in my inventory list, which you appear to not have, so I deleted them from inventory and retried the shopping list, but it still worked.

The only thing I can figure is that you must have used the Green '+' icon (new item) to add those grains to your inventory, in which case BTP probably wouldn't have the faintest idea how to categorize them. I'm not going to take the time to check out that possibility, since you already know whether that's how they got there and that seems like a reasonable cause of the problem. If that's not it, then I'd have to conclude that the problem is probably specific to Apple.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Doesn't freeze with a single ingredient for me

Post by billvelek »

Hi, slothrob. I just set up a single grain recipe, clicked on the proportion graph as you described, and everything continued to work just fine for me -- with WinXP. Might be an intermittent problem; I'll keep a watch for this.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

Code: Select all

I assumed that you dragged some ingredients from the master database into your inventory folder and then renamed them.
No, the ingredients didn't exist. It was a recipe imported from Promash.

ups, forgot to tell you, I'm using Mac Version. Sorry about that. Also, be aware that the problem arise when the ingredient is not in the inventory database
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

BTP master DB probably doesn't recognize ProMash ingredients

Post by billvelek »

I think that you have your answer: BTP master DB probably doesn't recognize ProMash ingredients -- at least not fully. It's odd, though, that BTP does recognize them enough to use them for their gravity and color contributions. This seems like it might be a difficult programming problem, and might not be common enough to warrant a solution anytime soon -- but that's a decision for Jeff and Lathe. Until then, what you could try is dragging and dropping the equivalent ingredients from the BTP database or inventory into your recipe to replace the ingredients originally listed from ProMash (which you will delete). Other than that, I can't think of a solution.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Fixed

Post by lathe »

mpaniagua wrote:No, the ingredients didn't exist. It was a recipe imported from Promash.
mpaniagua,

No worries. This was a bug that is now corrected in the upcoming release of 1.1.0.6.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

killed it

Post by warthog »

i created a new recipe, by just dragging random ingredients into the main window. i double clicked on an ingredient (2 row black malt) gave the recipe 12 lbs of the stuff (srm:75), changed it from mash to steep, and back and the color changed to 97, though it apeared in the 'glass' as a nice ruby color, until i clicked it again, when it turned yellow. i double clicked then right clicked to change the units, and the program froze. had to 3 finger to get out.
PC 2.6ghz cel, XPpro,2gbRAM, 1920x1200
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Old suggestion (from way back) still not implemented

Post by billvelek »

warthog wrote:i created a new recipe, by just dragging random ingredients into the main window. i double clicked on an ingredient (2 row black malt) gave the recipe 12 lbs of the stuff (srm:75), changed it from mash to steep, and back and the color changed to 97, though it apeared in the 'glass' as a nice ruby color, until i clicked it again, when it turned yellow. i double clicked then right clicked to change the units, and the program froze. had to 3 finger to get out.
Before mentioning my old suggestion, let me explain what happened. I was trying to duplicate this error (haven't succeeded so far). I started with fresh recipes a couple of times, so I had several BTP windows open in my task bar. I concluded that my color was not changing when I changed from mash to steep because there appears to be no place to enter the length of time or temperature of the steep. I went to 'schedule' to see if it should be entered there, noticed the buttons are missing so I right-clicked and found the drop-down menu, which is fine. However, there was no 'steep' on there, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to be done, so I used "New Decoction" and renamed it to 'Steep'. Of course, I don't think this is a suitable substitute for a couple of reasons that I won't get into right now, but it was all I could think to do; if there is another way to enter 'steep', then this version is far from intuitive in that regard or else I'm just completely missing something.

Anyway, I was never able to get the color to change from 75SRM and I was never able to get my program to lock-up. My system is described in my sig.

Now for my old suggestion. When I first looked at the blank schedule and started to create one, some of the pop-ups asked for the vessel, which I have not gotten around to creating yet for v.1.1. I decide to do that now, and opened v.1.0.28 to copy the dimensions, etc., for my mash tun, but first decided to get rid of some of the recipes in my task bar to make more room and keep things simple. I clicked on the red-x on the wrong recipe, and was given the option: "Exit" or "New Recipe". I suggested a LONG time ago that if you're going to have this popup anyway, that you ought to add "Cancel" to it so that a person can chose to NOT exit BTP and also NOT abandon the recipe they have been working on. Please consider doing this for those of us who are a bit hasty in clicking on the 'Red-X'. :D Thanks.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

No, the ingredients didn't exist. It was a recipe imported from Promash.

mpaniagua,

No worries. This was a bug that is now corrected in the upcoming release of 1.1.0.6.
thanks Jeff.
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Bolding bug?

Post by Bob57702 »

I'm not sure if this is a bug but when you move an item, i.e. ingreidents or recipes, to another subdirectory in the left side data directory tree it bolds that subdirectory and it remains bold until you move something else or close the current recipe. I would expect the mouseover to bold the appropriate directory, as it does now, but the bolding to reset after dropping the item. I hope I explained this correctly.

Bob O.
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

1.1.06a won't install

Post by Bob57702 »

I've attempted twice to load it and get an error: "An exception error of NilObjectException was not handled. The application must shut down." I've reinstalled v1.1.05a without any errors.
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: 1.1.06a won't install

Post by lathe »

Bob57702 wrote:I've attempted twice to load it and get an error: "An exception error of NilObjectException was not handled. The application must shut down." I've reinstalled v1.1.05a without any errors.
Bob,

Did you read the installation instructionsfor V1.1.0.6?
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Ver 6 loaded okay now ... but not at first

Post by billvelek »

Bob, I was trying to be very careful in following the instructions, but I got the same error message as you. I then did an uninstall of ver 6 and reinstalled ver 5 so that I could get back to square one, and then repeated the process -- i.e., deleting the BeerTools Pro Library.rsd file, but then I noticed a different date on the file. I think that the first time around I deleted an .rsd file, but from a different folder than I have been using for the alpha testing ... at least it appears that way. When I deleted the one in my alpha folder, and then installed ver 6, it came up just fine.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Bug?? re menu command: 'Window | Info'

Post by billvelek »

Ver 6 (never noticed this command in previous versions): the menu command 'Window | Info' brings up a blank window which appears to be user editable, i.e., when clicked upon, a flashing cursor appears in the upper-left corner. If this is an editable screen, the problem is that it will not accept any text.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

ver 1.1.0.6 Start up Error.

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Guys,

Just installed ver 1.1.0.6 and upon launching the app I get this error:

"An Exception of class NilObjectException was not handled. The application must shut down"

I press ok and all is gone. I have restarted my laptop and still get the same error.

Any Ideas?

oops! I just noticed the NEW insytall instructions...let me try again!
Sorry... :oops:

ok....the instructions worked and i have it running now.

Thanks!
Ron S (_)3
Last edited by wottaguy on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I just installed 1.1.0.6 on a second Mac at home, and both are working fine. Maybe only a Windows problem? 8)
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing