BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive C

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

pet peave. All special ingredient measurements are set to tsp. I'm still unable to change Whirlfloc quantity to each. I see that you change the universal measurement in the preferences but not all special items are measured by tsp.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Okay, the minutes thing is cleared up -- thanks.

Now, though, when I reopened the recipe that I'm messing around with, my inventory database is gone. What's up with that?
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Crisp Maris Otter in the database has a mistake -- the description talks about how good Simpson's MO is.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Inventory Malfunction

Post by just-cj »

Okay, I just played a little more with the ingredients inventory. I loaded a bunch of ingredients in there, then chose Make Default. Closed the recipe I was working on. Opened my test recipe, inventory was showing up. Quit BTP, restarted -- no inventory. Opened up my test recipe, no inventory. Tried opening by clicking on the recipe file instead of the BTP icon, no inventory.

Any idea what's going on? I really don't want to mess with it too much more if I'm just going to lose everything that I'm trying to set up so I can play with the new features. :cry:

Edit: I just looked in my Library Preferences folder, and there's a file named "BeerTools Pro 1.1.plist" which was created this morning when I first fired up BTP 1.1. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be updated, but it wasn't changed when I tried my inventory manipulations.

I also have the following:
Prefs.xml
RecentItems
Template.xml

All of those were updated the last time I used BTP a few minutes ago, so it seems like the files are being written properly.
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Hop Editor is not working for me

Post by billvelek »

jeff wrote:When you are ready to brew your recipe, use Recipe->Shopping List/Inventory to deduct the recipe from inventory. If inventory is deducted only when adding an ingredient to a recipe then it wouldn't be very easy to deduct the recipe from inventory a second time when you brew it again.
Excellent approach, Jeff. That makes complete sense.

I think I've located a bug, or at least I'm having trouble making headway on my system, with the Hop Editor. I haven't had time to try editing other ingredients yet, so I don't know about them. Specifically, I want to change the AA% value of my hops. I have tried three approaches, none of which worked:

Let me set this up. I went to the Hops folder in the Ingredients section of the library and clicked on Fuggles (which I've homegrown). I then dragged and dropped it into the Hops folder in the Inventory section of the library. I then also dragged and dropped it into the ingredients section of my recipe, so I now have three places to try to edit it.

First, the recipe: there are two ways to access the edit panel, and I've tried both -- double-clicking on the Fuggles and also right-clicking the mouse. In both instances, I have changed the AA% from 4.8% to 4.5%, clicking "OK" on the panel when I'm finished, but it doesn't register the change.

Second, my inventory: there is no right-click drop-down menu, although double-clicking on EITHER the right or the left mouse button will open the editor. But the same thing; I make the change to Fuggles from 4.8% to 4.5% and then click "OK" and the change is not registered.

Third, the Hops folder in the Ingredients section of the library; I can find no way to open the editor -- double clicking doesn't work, right-clicking provides no menu, and there are no menu bar commands that I can find.

Also, maybe it's because I've been trying to make those changes, but the 'label' for my Hops folder in the Inventory section of my Library directory-tree appears to be in bold type, even when I have another folder open, such as the grains folder in the Ingredients section.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Hop Editor is not working for me

Post by just-cj »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|| Status: Bug Found ||
--------------------------
|| Note: Prob. Fixed ||
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
billvelek wrote:First, the recipe: there are two ways to access the edit panel, and I've tried both -- double-clicking on the Fuggles and also right-clicking the mouse. In both instances, I have changed the AA% from 4.8% to 4.5%, clicking "OK" on the panel when I'm finished, but it doesn't register the change.

Second, my inventory: there is no right-click drop-down menu, although double-clicking on EITHER the right or the left mouse button will open the editor. But the same thing; I make the change to Fuggles from 4.8% to 4.5% and then click "OK" and the change is not registered.
Bill, I noticed this as well when I was trying to make some changes for one of my grains. Try this. Type in your change, then hit the Enter or Return key on your keyboard. Then click okay. That seems to work for me -- but just clicking okay should work, otherwise what's the purpose of that button (since it does the same thing as cancel)?
Third, the Hops folder in the Ingredients section of the library; I can find no way to open the editor -- double clicking doesn't work, right-clicking provides no menu, and there are no menu bar commands that I can find.
Same thing that I mentioned above. I guess they don't want you to change the original database, as that might cause problems during updates. But, it does seem a bit over-controlled to me. 8)
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Hop Editor is not working for me

Post by billvelek »

just-cj wrote:
billvelek wrote:snip ... I have changed the AA% from 4.8% to 4.5%, clicking "OK" on the panel when I'm finished, but it doesn't register the change. ... snip
Bill, I noticed this as well when I was trying to make some changes for one of my grains. Try this. Type in your change, then hit the Enter or Return key on your keyboard. Then click okay. That seems to work for me -- but just clicking okay should work, otherwise what's the purpose of that button (since it does the same thing as cancel)?
You are correct, just-cj; it works like that for me, too, which should help Jeff and Lathe track down and fix the problem.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Question re inventory

Post by billvelek »

This is not about a 'bug', and is not as much a suggestion as it is a comment and a chance to ask how other users would propose handling this if BTP can't be coaxed into doing it for us.

In playing with our new toy and testing the inventory feature in various ways (by the way, I think it's ingenious the way it is already set up), I quickly noticed when opening old recipes and then clicking on "Recipe | ShoppingList/Inventory", that I was being told that I needed to order grains that I already have ... sort of. The problem is that, as it now functions, BTP apparently searches inventory for a VERY specific grain -- right down to the supplier -- rather than a 'class' of grains. This is probably essential to preserve a recipe EXACTLY as designed, but threw me off at first, and I can see how this could become an annoyance and inconvenience as I fill in my inventory and make the list longer than it already is. Specifically, I have some recipes in which I have selected merely the generic two-row pale malt -- "American 2-row". Others have included the more specific "2-Row Brewers Malt" from Briess, which is what my LHBS originally carried (I still have some), and still others specify "Cargill Two-Row Pale" from Cargill, which is what my LHBS now carries and which comprises most of my base grain inventory. The problem is that I consider them interchangeable, but BTP doesn't yet have that capability, so when I get down to having just Cargill in my inventory, all of my recipes that have the other two versions are going to signify that I need to purchase those grains because I have none in stock.

Base grains is not the problem; I'm always aware of what I have. But I have a wide assortment of other grains stored in mason jars, the quantity of which I am not mindful of without going back and looking. This is one reason why I had wanted an inventory feature so badly. This short-coming is probably also going to be magnified as users import recipes from other brewers who use different "brands".

Moreover, let me explain that when I buy specialty grains from my LHBS, for example "Chocolate Malt", I really don't think to ask the brand and I don't particularly care. I just want "chocolate malt" to use in a recipe as "chocolate malt" without regard to anything else, and I'd imagine that's how most of us probably brew. So if I import a recipe from someone who happened to specify "Beeston" chocolate malt -- not necessarily because s/he used "Beeston" in particular but rather maybe because that's just the first 'chocolate malt' they found on the list -- and if I happen to have "Briess" chocolate malt in inventory, I really don't want BTP telling me that I can't brew that recipe because I don't have chocolate malt on hand. I hope I'm making myself clear.

I don't know if this would work from a programming perspective, but if an extra sortable text-field were added -- call it "sub" for suitable substitutes of grains that are clearly interchangeable -- and then have either BTP or the user add a common denominator for those that are interchangeable, couldn't BTP manage to make the replacement or at least tell the user that -- "You don't have Briess 2-row, as specified in the recipe, but you DO have Cargill 2-row"? In this fashion, I could go to each basic 2-row and add perhaps an "A" in that field for each one, and for the "chocolates" I could add a "B" for each suitable substitute, etc. BTP would then look for the "A" grains in my inventory rather than for "Briess" 2-row pale in particular, and spotting the Cargill it would just use it instead of the Briess. And I guess if you really wanted to get fancy, you could use a different text color for the ingredients that are substituted in place of the particular ones specified in a recipe.

I know that something along those lines would make the inventory feature much more useful and convenient for me.

Thanks.

Bill Velek

P.S. -- I thought I was putting the above in its own thread rather than in the bug thread; sorry about that. I looked for a way to immediately delete it, but can't see how.
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

Testing the Mac version, on the recipe area, in the Carbonation tab, the control that let you choose the Priming Agent Mass measure unit (grams, teastpoon, ounces,etc) is missing.

I love the new interface!!!!

Marcelo
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

Is there a Package database that I can use to add packages in the Packaging option? I can't find a way to add "standard" packages in this option. Design flaw or bug?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

mpaniagua wrote:Is there a Package database that I can use to add packages in the Packaging option? I can't find a way to add "standard" packages in this option. Design flaw or bug?
That will be added to the Library (left column) along with schedule steps and equipment before the final release.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Import recipe bug...

Post by TCBrewguy »

When I imported all my recipes, some of the recipe styles got mixed up. Underneath the recipe title, the style is listed incorrectly as Kolsch. In the style pane, however, it is correctly listed as Altbier.

MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Export text is grayed out...

Post by TCBrewguy »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|| Status: Bug Found ||
--------------------------
|| Note: Prob. Fixed ||
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I pull up a recipe and try to export the text, the 'export text' option is grayed out on the pulldown menu.

Also, out of curiosity, when BTP 1.1 imports a recipe, do subsequent changes to that recipe get reflected in the file from which it was imported? If not, where is BTP 1.1 saving my recipes?
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
slothrob

edit units

Post by slothrob »

jeff wrote:Another significant change to the interface is the removal of the unit conversion popup menus next to each numeric text field. The popups are gone but the functionality remains. You can get a list of all unit conversions by right-clicking on the text field (control-click Mac OS X). Select the one you want, and the value is converted. The fields also allow the user to specify the unit as part of the value (ie: 8.9 lbs or 15 oz).
I may not understand how this is supposed to work, but it doesn't seem to do what it used to, nor what is described in this FAQ. If I change the units, only the units change, so the conversion isn't performed as it was before, i.e., 1 lb doesn't change to 16 oz, as it did in v.1.0, when the units are changed from lb to oz.

In addition, the ctrl-click brings up a contectual menu, but the options are Edit, Delete, and New Grain, Hop, etc. nothing to do with conversion of values.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: edit units

Post by lathe »

slothrob wrote:In addition, the ctrl-click brings up a contectual menu, but the options are Edit, Delete, and New Grain, Hop, etc. nothing to do with conversion of values.
The inline editing fields do not offer one click conversions. That FAQ applies to the fixed position fields such as Kettle Volume and Water Added..etc.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff