BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive A

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Bug tracking

Post by jeff »

lucas wrote:just started to wonder, do you guys (jeff and lathe) have a bug tracking system setup? bugzilla or the like? I'm quite happy to just submit bug reports here but if you have a proper system in action I'd rather be submitting straight to it
This is it for now. I installed Bugzilla for a client in the past, but I was not entirely happy with the interface. When version 1.1 of BTP comes out, I will review the options again. However, I like how the forum encourages discussion and is less rigid in its format. The disadvantage is that it makes it harder for us to track the status of specific bugs.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
lucas
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Bug tracking

Post by lucas »

jeff wrote: This is it for now. I installed Bugzilla for a client in the past, but I was not entirely happy with the interface. When version 1.1 of BTP comes out, I will review the options again. However, I like how the forum encourages discussion and is less rigid in its format. The disadvantage is that it makes it harder for us to track the status of specific bugs.
yeah, I know what you mean. I used bugzilla during my last project and the interface was shocking. Cant say i know much about the quality of it's competitors but i do like the concept of centralized bug tracking
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Renaming Files & Save As

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I've recently noticed that when a file is renamed, the name of the file that appears in the tile bar at the top of the page doesn't change.

Also, when using Save As I have to manually add the .btp extension in the File Name box even though it is selected in the Save As Type box. If I don't do this the file doesn't appear in my list of recipes, presumably because BTP doesn't know what kind of file it is. For example if I name the file mybeer.btp it will show in the list, but if I just type mybeer, it won't. I'm using the latest XP version of BTP.
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Bug: MashIn schedule step

Post by bzwrxbz »

When i have a valid "Mash Vessel", "Heating Vessel", and "Heat Source" in the MashIn dialog, I am allowed to change the "Heat Duration" to reach a target temperature in the dialog box, and then the schedule graph changes accordingly.

This can not happen, and the values are wrong. For example, I have a burner that will take ~30 minutes to heat ambient water to a strike temperature of 170F or so. Now, the dialog will say that it takes approximately 30 minutes to heat the water... which is fine. The problem lies with the fact that i am able to change the heat duration time to something silly like 4 minutes... and BTP accepts it, and the schedule graph changes to show 4 minutes.

Now, when I double click on the Mash In step again, it will revert to the correct value of ~30 minutes, and then change the schedule graph to the right values.

IMO, the user should NOT be able to change the duration if there is something selected as the heating source. Duration is a direct function of the vessels/source, and the user should not modify the time duration in this circumstance.

cheers!

ver26, windows
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Bug: Super subtle - but super bothersome

Post by bzwrxbz »

In the "Infusion" dialog in the schedule, there is a lock checkbox for the "Water Temp". Now, when it is checked, all works fine, you press "Ok" to exit the dialog, things are ok so far. Now, when you open that same "Infusion" dialog, the checkbox is not checked, but the dialog still behaves as if the water temperature is locked.

It took me a few minutes to figure out what the heck was going on. My workaround is to check the checkbox, then uncheck it, to get the view to mesh with the condition of "locked" or not.

This is a minor bug, but can be SUPER confusing if one is not aware of it, and raised my blood pressure a point or two until I figured out the workaround. LOL

cheers!
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

might have a minor bug here ...

Post by billvelek »

Jeff, thanks for fixing the .btp extension problem when using 'Save As'. Obviously I have downloaded v.1.0.27, but have been meaning to let you know that the update function didn't work right when I tried to use it (but I suppose that would have been v.1.0.26, trying to get v.27, right? Anyway, maybe it has been fixed now. My point is that when I saw your notice about the availability of v.27, I opened BTP v.26, clicked on the menu command 'Online | Check Updates', was told that one is available, IIRC, but the program did nothing after that; i.e., if I told it to get the update, it just sat there. Anyway, I had to visit the BeerTools.com website to retrieve the update instead of using BTP. Just thought you'd want to know.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Ingredients added to promash recipes

Post by slothrob »

I believe this qualifies as a bug:

I have Ingredients saves in my Default to speed up recipe creation.

When I open a BTP recipe that already exists, the Default ingredients are not added, which is as I would expect the program to act, so that the recipe doesn't change every time I open it.

When I open an existing ProMash recipe, the Default ingredients are added, changing the recipe.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

V.28 -- Hop Editor -- "Storage Factor" value can e

Post by billvelek »

WinXP here with V.28 -- In the Hop Editor, the "Storage Factor" value can exceed 100; the Wiki says this value should be in the range up to one hundred, and I was just able to add a million and save it.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

OK, everytime I add something to the database it is defaulting to tsp as the measurement. Even after i save it as ozs, lbs etc.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
lucas
Light Lager
Light Lager

doesnt work on osx 10.5 (leopard)

Post by lucas »

Here's a list of the errors I get trying to run btp on the wwdc07 beta of leopard

these begin as soon as I start the software.

1 "Runtime Error 4: Failed Assertion

Failure Condition: lib
Failure Message:

Please report what caused this error along with all of the details above."

I hit continue.

2 "Runtime Error 4: Failed Assertion

Failure Condition: nssym
Failure Message:

I hit continue.

3 "Runtime Error 4: Failed Assertion

Failure Condition: NSGetArgv
Failure Message:

I hit continue.

4 "Runtime Error 4: Failed Assertion

Failure Condition: nssym
Failure Message:

I hit continue.

5 "Runtime Error 4: Failed Assertion

Failure Condition: NSGetArgv
Failure Message:

I hit continue, then I get the spinning beach ball and btp crashes.

let me know if these's more details error logs kept somewhere that I can provide
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Color bug?

Post by djavet »

If I use some Melanoidin Malt, BTP 1.0.29 didn't show the right color, must be red or rubbish... Is that a bug or simply not possible to emulate?

Dom
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

getting cut offs on the print out again if I have more that two sparges in a batch sparge session. I can email the file if you need it jeff/lathe
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:getting cut offs on the print out again if I have more that two sparges in a batch sparge session. I can email the file if you need it jeff/lathe
BTP 1.0 or 1.1?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

me, too, on the print cut-off

Post by billvelek »

jawbox wrote:getting cut offs on the print out again if I have more that two sparges in a batch sparge session. I can email the file if you need it jeff/lathe
I had been meaning to mention that myself but I'm usually too busy on brew day and then I don't think about it later. This is with version 1.1.0.10-alpha.

The first time I noticed it, I was doing a regular batch and I remember thinking that maybe it was because I had an ingredient list a little bit longer than usual, but then I forgot to go back and do some comparisons. But it is now clear to me that this bug has nothing at all to do with the length of the ingredient list because last weekend I did what I call a stage one for a triple-partigyle, and all I had was two ingredients -- 25 pounds of 2-row and 1.5 pounds of crystal 40.

Looking at that printout, the Schedule section was cut off about midway down the 'Temperature' line for what I call "Sparge #1", which is the second 'subsection' of Batch Sparge (the first subsection being "First Runnings"). That was on the first page; the second page does not resume printing of the schedule at all and instead just goes to the graph. I remember having to go in and check my computer to get the volume of my sparge water for sparge number two and the temps for both sparges.

If anyone is interested in how I did my partigyle, I'll start a separate thread on that in the Techniques section of this forum.

Cheers.

Bill Velek