BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive A

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Here's what is probably happening..

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:It's when I set the Water Temp at 212, the Target Temp at 270, it displays the Water Volume, in this case, at 1.54 gallons. I hit OK, the window closes.

Then, when I open the window with the Edit button, the water volume now is displayed as 1.61 Gallons.

If I set the Water Temp and Volume, a Target Temp is displayed. If I close the window, hit Edit, the Water Volume has again changed.
When entering data in any number field in BeerTools Pro, the number is captured internally when the field loses focus by tabbing out of it, by hitting 'Enter', or by hitting 'OK' in an editor. Hitting 'OK' in an editor will force all fields in the window to lose focus so at that point the value entered is captured. When the value is captured, calculations are run that affect other values in the editor. Since hitting the 'OK' button closes the window, you never see the final calculations run. It may be helpful to get in the habit of hitting 'Enter' to run the calculations and then hit 'OK' to confirm. This way there are no surprises when you open the editor again.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Actually, I am hitting enter/return to register my values. Then click OK to close the window.

Just to make sure it's clear, the change to -Residual Volume is showing up not in the window I'm currently editing (Mashout), but in the next step in my schedule (Collection). I think you know that already, but I wanted to make sure you knew that the numbers in the window I'm editing do get recalculated/updated when I hit "enter" after typing in the changed volume.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I understand

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:Actually, I am hitting enter/return to register my values. Then click OK to close the window.

Just to make sure it's clear, the change to -Residual Volume is showing up not in the window I'm currently editing (Mashout), but in the next step in my schedule (Collection). I think you know that already, but I wanted to make sure you knew that the numbers in the window I'm editing do get recalculated/updated when I hit "enter" after typing in the changed volume.
I think I understand what you are saying now. You are editing a step on which another step depends and the changes you make are propagated to the following steps forcing them to recalculate. This is probably where you are seeing the need for a lock box to prevent Residual from changing on you.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Yeah, that's it. I think it's probably the same issue that I discovered coming from 2 different directions. If that residual was locked then the Final Volume would refresh to the number I expect, without just increasing the Residual Volume in the window I don't have open.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

For now..

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:Yeah, that's it. I think it's probably the same issue that I discovered coming from 2 different directions. If that residual was locked then the Final Volume would refresh to the number I expect, without just increasing the Residual Volume in the window I don't have open.
The way BTP calculates a Collect step when something in the recipe or schedule changes is to give preference to the sparge rate. This means that when changing values in the collect step, BTP will try to maintain the same sparge rate and change the other variables to match.

Tell me what you think. BTP continues favoring sparge rate, but only until residual became 0. If residual were to dip into negative territory, BTP would then adjust the sparge rate to avoid a negative residual volume. Do you think that this would cover the problem you are having? If so, I would be able to add this in an update sooner than a lock checkbox.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

This would cover situations where I decreased the Mashout volume addition, but not when I increased that addition while trying to get my volumes balanced.

Therefore, while this change wouldn't cover all situiations, it would cover half of them, while also removing the (-) Residual Volume instances, which seem like they are somewhat imaginary.

So I would vote for the temorary solution. I hope other batch spargers get some scheduling experience and chime in soon.

My approach to batch sparging favors sparge volume (Runoff) over rate, as I am trying to optimize efficiency by getting the First Runnings and each Sparge Runoff as close to equal as reasonably possible. Ideally, at some future date, I would be overjoyed to see a dedicated Batch Sparge step available in the schedule section that did some of this volume balancing automatically(!), based on my desired boil volume.

Edit: Ultimately, it would probably work best for my way of using this tool to default the Residual Volume to the void volume of the tun, and locked, unless I had a reason to change it, which I don't forsee.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

I just noticed a possible bug either in the "%Atten." calculator or in the main window algorithm for calculating ABV. I have a recipe for which the OG is 1.063 and the anticipated FG is 1.012. The ABV listed in the main window is 6.69% v/v. The calculator, however, lists the ABV as 6.9% using the same figures. Is this in fact a glitch or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Matt
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
slothrob

evaporation doesn't match boil volumes

Post by slothrob »

With 1.0.3 I'm getting strange numbers for the pre- and post-boil volumes.

I have a kettle volume of 6.5 gal. and I expect a final volume of 5.5 gal.
I type in 6.5 gal, set the boil at 1 hr, then start dialing up the evaporation rate. At 11.9% Evap/hr, I get 0.77 gal. lost but 5.5 gal is listed as the final vol.

6.5-0.77=5.5??
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Vessel Shape wont keep

Post by bzwrxbz »

Ver 1.0.3

When creating a new piece of equipment...

The vessel shape will not stay at "Rectangular" after closing the vessel dialog box, then reopening it. It goes back to "Circular/Elliptical", always.

thx!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Vessel Shape wont keep

Post by jeff »

bzwrxbz wrote:Ver 1.0.3

The vessel shape will not stay at "Rectangular" after closing the vessel dialog box, then reopening it. It goes back to "Circular/Elliptical", always.

thx!
Great, good catch!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Vessel Shape wont keep

Post by jeff »

bzwrxbz wrote:Ver 1.0.3

thx!
This issue has been fixed in version 1.0.4; it is available for download now.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Lost water profiles

Post by notbob »

After the 1.0.4 download, I'm missing the 2 water profiles I had entered into my database.

I had saved 1 file that has my water to Burton on Trent water, and that info still loads okay.

I just don't have mine anymore in the Water Profiles database.

Al
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Lost water profiles

Post by jeff »

notbob wrote:After the 1.0.4 download, I'm missing the 2 water profiles I had entered into my database.

I had saved 1 file that has my water to Burton on Trent water, and that info still loads okay.

Al
Make a backup of the file in Library/Preferences/BeerTools Pro/DataOld.rsd
Something must have been missed when your DB was updated. If you hold onto that backup file we can recover your profiles in the next version. Anything else missing?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Lost water profiles

Post by jeff »

notbob wrote:After the 1.0.4 download, I'm missing the 2 water profiles I had entered into my database.

Al
Did you by chance enter the water profiles by editing some of the preloaded profiles or did you add new ones?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

I added new ones

Post by notbob »

I added 2 New profiles into the data base. They seemed to stay put during version 1, 2 and 3. But they seem to have disappeared on this swap.

I haven't noticed anything else. My settings have all stayed the same for my defaults.