BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive A

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Saving %U

Post by jeff »

djavet wrote:I see now what you said, but my default setting (based on tinseth) despear each time I open the recipe in 1.0.19
The %Utilization setting gets saved with the recipe. If there is a recipe that opens having the "Basic" algorithm selected, change it to Tinseth and save the recipe again. This should solve the problem.

You may still have to check the setting when opening recipe files from other people since they may use a different algorithm. The %U algorithm gets saved with each recipe because it affects how the recipe lines up with the style guidlines.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I've read that Tinseth, while a good algorithm for full boil utilization, doesn't work well for calculating partial boil utilization as it takes final volume into account, post-dilution, which has no effect on utilization in a partial boil. This doesn't account for the effect high gravity boil and will give you an artificially high IBU.

For this reason, Rager is often recommended for determining utilization when boiling less than full volume. So, you may find that changing boil voume will not have the effect you expect when using TInseth.

I've always seen this in reference to Promash, does this "fault" exist in all Tinseth calculations (BeerToolsPro included), or is it a peculiarity of Promash?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Tinseth

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:I've read that Tinseth, while a good algorithm for full boil utilization, doesn't work well for calculating partial boil utilization as it takes final volume into account, post-dilution, which has no effect on utilization in a partial boil. This doesn't account for the effect high gravity boil and will give you an artificially high IBU.

For this reason, Rager is often recommended for determining utilization when boiling less than full volume. So, you may find that changing boil voume will not have the effect you expect when using TInseth.

I've always seen this in reference to Promash, does this "fault" exist in all Tinseth calculations (BeerToolsPro included), or is it a peculiarity of Promash?
I haven't heard that about Tinseth's formula, although I really don't know how accurate it is with partial boils. However, BTP plugs the kettle gravity (not the final gravity) into the formula which does affect the IBU total for the recipe.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Not Sure if this is a Bug

Post by just-cj »

In the Mac version, if you try to quit the program without saving, you get a dialog box containing three choices: Don't Save, Cancel, Save. On most Mac programs, Command + D triggers Don't Save, and Command + S triggers Save. Those keyboard commands don't work in BTP. (The third, Command + . does work as usual.)
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Packaging Bug

Post by bzwrxbz »

When changing the final volume of beer, the packaging window does not update the bottle count to reflect new volume of beer.

cheers!
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Window Title Bug

Post by bzwrxbz »

When opening a recipe, the name of the recipe/file does not appear on the new window area on the lower windows bar. The default one in my case "Untitled Session" will appear on all of the BTP boxes on the bottom, when in reality I have multiple named recipes open that are not titled "Untitled Session" in anyway.

For example, at the moment I see three BTP boxes on the windows bar titled "Untitled Session".

cheers!

billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I get sort of the same "packaging" bug ...

Post by billvelek »

I'm not sure that updating the bottle count to reflect changes in final volume is appropriate, but I do think that the packaging display should at least change the "Remaining" amount. Since seeing your post, I have played around with this a little, including restarting BTP several times to be sure of my observations, but I have not been able to consistently recreate the problem or discern why it sometimes occurs and sometimes doesn't. My initial finding when I first observed the problem is that neither 'Net Volume' on the Volume Adjustments display, nor the 'Remaining' volume on the Packaging Display were automatically updating when Final Volume was changed while the Ingredients display was selected; i.e., whenever I changed 'Final Volume' while displaying either Volume Adjustments or Packaging, they WOULD update immediately, so I had no problem. Moreover, the few times I was able to actually duplicate this problem, i.e., the Net Volume or Remaining volume not matching 'Final Volume', a minor change to the Final Volume up or down a decimal value would immediately cause the other volumes to fall back in line. I haven't had enough time or consistency to determine if the problem is related to the 'Lock' button, etc., but I have definitely experience a slight problem along the lines that you have just described as a "Packaging" bug.

EDIT: You posted another message while I was composing this answer; it was about a "Window Title Bug", but I do not experience that same problem; e.g., I have four different recipes open, and each one is named in the list that appears in my Windows Title Bar at the bottom of my screen.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Window Title Bug

Post by bzwrxbz »

bzwrxbz wrote:When opening a recipe, the name of the recipe/file does not appear on the new window area on the lower windows bar. The default one in my case "Untitled Session" will appear on all of the BTP boxes on the bottom, when in reality I have multiple named recipes open that are not titled "Untitled Session" in anyway.

For example, at the moment I see three BTP boxes on the windows bar titled "Untitled Session".

cheers!
I have just determined that this only happens when I have the initial screen maximized. If the first window is "Restored Down", then the window bar boxes display correctly. I will investigate a little further..........

At least this is a repeatable bug for me, for the time being.

cheers!

bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: I get sort of the same "packaging" bug ...

Post by bzwrxbz »

billvelek wrote:I'm not sure that updating the bottle count to reflect changes in final volume is appropriate, but I do think that the packaging display should at least change the "Remaining" amount. Since seeing your post, I have played around with this a little, including restarting BTP several times to be sure of my observations, but I have not been able to consistently recreate the problem or discern why it sometimes occurs and sometimes doesn't. My initial finding when I first observed the problem is that neither 'Net Volume' on the Volume Adjustments display, nor the 'Remaining' volume on the Packaging Display were automatically updating when Final Volume was changed while the Ingredients display was selected; i.e., whenever I changed 'Final Volume' while displaying either Volume Adjustments or Packaging, they WOULD update immediately, so I had no problem. Moreover, the few times I was able to actually duplicate this problem, i.e., the Net Volume or Remaining volume not matching 'Final Volume', a minor change to the Final Volume up or down a decimal value would immediately cause the other volumes to fall back in line. I haven't had enough time or consistency to determine if the problem is related to the 'Lock' button, etc., but I have definitely experience a slight problem along the lines that you have just described as a "Packaging" bug.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
My common sense would say that if I had the "Final Volume" checkbox checked, and the dropdown was set to "Scale", that the packaging (bottles at least) should scale just like the ingredients do.

In response to Bill's problems, the "Remaining Volume" on the Packaging Display does seem to change for me when i adjust volumes... but, I have not played with it enough to possibly notice a bug in the refresh/update.

cheers!

billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: I get sort of the same "packaging" bug ...

Post by billvelek »

bzwrxbz wrote:My common sense would say that if I had the "Final Volume" checkbox checked, and the dropdown was set to "Scale", that the packaging (bottles at least) should scale just like the ingredients do.
Well, as much as I do want bottle caps to be debited from any 'inventory' feature, I guess I just don't view packaging as an 'ingredient' that ought to be scaled. I could have a 5 gallon batch that I put in 16 oz. bottles this batch, and then decide to scale it up to 10 gallons but be filling one corny keg and putting the rest in 12 oz. bottles. I actually have no objection to it scaling the packaging by default because a user ought to double check things and making any needed changes, but I just don't view it as an essential need like the "Remaining" volume which, if unchanged, actually represents a programming error.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

One potential problem I see with updating packaging, instead of just updating volume, is that I typically bottle in 1x2L, 4x22oz, some number of 0.5L (depending on availability), and whatever number of 12 oz bottles I need to finish. I'm sure a lot of people do something similar, or Keg some amount and bottle the rest.

How would the program know what bottles to increase?
Perhaps another lock button for each set of bottles?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:Snip ... How would the program know what bottles to increase?
Perhaps another lock button for each set of bottles?
Although I didn't mention it, that was one of my thoughts, too, but I think having lock buttons for each container is going overboard. Anyone who has ever brewed ought to have a pretty good or rough idea of how many bottles he'll need for a batch, and a wise man will have a few extra santized bottles and caps thrown in for good measure ... just in case. I mean, how hard is it to remember 40 pint bottles or 54 12-oz. bottles per 5 gallons and make a quick adjustment in your head for a different batch-size. I can't see scaling of containers as being a big deal, or something that is going to happen that often; most of my scaling is going to be done when I take your 10 or 15 gallon recipe and scale it to my 5 gallons, and that sort of thing. If a brewer usually makes 5 gallon batches, how often will that brewer make a 3 or 4 gallon batch? If I advance to a larger kettle to start making 10 gallon batches, it's a no brainer that I can do in my head that I just double the bottles. The things that I'd prefer for Jeff and Lathe to spend their time on is things that I can't do myself, or can't do easily, or that would be considerably more convenient; personally, I just don't consider scaling an assortment of bottles, locked or unlocked, to be valuable.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Joe028
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Joe028 »

Invalid XML. I have only had trouble since the new release version 1.0.19, but it may have been there before. I have a file with ingredients and some basic info only and it saves fine. When I then add in the schedule and totally tweak the session out for brew day with all the details I am able to save it right over top the old file, yet when I reopen it I get the error message "Invalid XML file."

I have tried this many times now and thought it was a function of the "save as" feature creating the problem, but I was able to just use the "save" button after adding the details of my recipe and then when I reopen I still get the Invalid XML error.

Some of the details I added that made it unable to open were...
Made 3 step schedule
changed heat capacity of mash/lauter tun
changed boil duration
changed notes
added trub loss volume adjustment
added racking loss volume adjustment
added date

I think those are the only changes from the originally saved file of ingredients and just a few notes.

Don't know what to do as I now can't access this recipe to brew with.

Joe
Joe028
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Joe028 »

I'm no programmer, but after looking at these files in text form I think I may have found the problem. I am writing in as much detail as possible so hopefully the problem can be fixed.

Did I mention I love Firefox, because that is how it was found, I opened the file using firefox and it directed me directly to the error. In each file that I have that would not open, the problem was found in the notes section. I can not tell exactly why it happens, but there is a character in the notes section that is causing the problem.

For example most of my notes are one line sentences followed by hitting the "enter" key on my keyboard. The cursor moves to the next line and I can continue typing.

The problem was that instead of the standard new line character (backwards P) there was an arrow pointing down then left (Like found on the enter key on keyboard). The characters I am referring to are easy to see when copying the text into MSWord with the showing of paragraph marks enabled.

I don't know how they got there, but they mess up the whole file to the point it will not open when using BTP. For now I will manually edit out the errors in my notes with a text editor and save my notes elsewhere, other than BTP.

I am using XP. I am sorry for the long post, but wanted to be detailed. I may be the only one with this problem too, I don't know. If any other information is needed please contact me.

Thanks.
Joe
stevie.o
Light Lager
Light Lager

New Bug?

Post by stevie.o »

I imported a recipe from ProMash.
and the Bar Graph for the fermentables disappered.
I have the other Bar Graph for other ingredients
but nothing for the fermentables... the Percetages ar there - 14%
but no fancy colored bar over it...?

My other recipes has the bar graph..?

Steve

iBook 10.3.9 BTP 1.19