BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive A

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Bug: Rel17

Post by etbandit »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:
bzwrxbz wrote:...If the cursor is placed over the textbox for a long time to show the gravity... it eventually disappears, this is normal. But... it never comes back...
I noticed the exact same thing.
The gravitys dont even appear when I place cursor over the textbox.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

In 1.0.18, when I have a recipe window open, the open a second window, e.g. a Database or Session window, the second window is not listed under "Window" in the menubar. This is preventing me from toggling to that second window when it gets behind another window on the screen, requiring me to close windows to get to it.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Kettle volume and IBU adaptation

Post by djavet »

Hello

Regarding my old post:
-> http://beertools.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

I think it's something wrong with the kettle volume/final volume and IBU.
I've brew a 19l batch with a kettle volume of 19l, I've a IBU of 36 per exemple, then I change the kettle volume to match my kettle size : 10 liters, it correct the water adjonction, but not the IBU.
If I do the same operation in Beersmith, the IBU decrease or increase regardin g my kettle size. Why not in BeerTool Pro?

I've use ver. 1.0.18

Regards, Dominique
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Kettle volume and IBU adaptation

Post by bzwrxbz »

djavet wrote:Hello

Regarding my old post:
-> http://beertools.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

I think it's something wrong with the kettle volume/final volume and IBU.
I've brew a 19l batch with a kettle volume of 19l, I've a IBU of 36 per exemple, then I change the kettle volume to match my kettle size : 10 liters, it correct the water adjonction, but not the IBU.
If I do the same operation in Beersmith, the IBU decrease or increase regardin g my kettle size. Why not in BeerTool Pro?

I've use ver. 1.0.18

Regards, Dominique
Are you sure you do not have the Final Volume checked, and the drop down is set to "Scale"? If it is, then the hops amounts are being adjusted for you, to attain the same IBUs when the volume is changing.
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
mcginnis842
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mcginnis842 »

I've been having a problem with opening beer tools files and having them open under the top bar of my screen making them unmovable.

This happens the most when I open one file then another. I can't seem to move the window by dragging on the lower parts of the window.

I'm using 1.0.18 on Mac OSX 10.4.8
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

mcginnis842 wrote:I've been having a problem with opening beer tools files and having them open under the top bar of my screen making them unmovable.

This happens the most when I open one file then another. I can't seem to move the window by dragging on the lower parts of the window.

Same problem here.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

mcginnis842 wrote:I've been having a problem with opening beer tools files and having them open under the top bar of my screen making them unmovable.

I've noticed it also, although it seems to be random in my case. I'm on a PC.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Mistake in Grain Database

Post by just-cj »

I just found a mistake in the grain database. Weyermann Carahell is listed as 65.0 Lovibond, but it's actually 10.0.

Also, I added Simpsons Golden Naked Oats -- it's a kind of crystal oat. Here's what I found out about it:
Version 1.0.18, by the way.
Last edited by just-cj on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

bzwrxbz wrote: Are you sure you do not have the Final Volume checked, and the drop down is set to "Scale"? If it is, then the hops amounts are being adjusted for you, to attain the same IBUs when the volume is changing.
Thx, I try this, but it chang too the others ingredients... Why?
How exactly proceed?

It give a rule to calculare this on paper to crosscontrol the amount of hops?

Regards, Dominique
derfburg21
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by derfburg21 »

When I use the print button not all of the info prints. The break is not very good between pages. A Preview would be very nice. Also in the Schedule, I have notes in my "Mash In" "Sach Rest" but they do not print out, or show up in the Export Text function.

Using 1.0.18, XP, 2000 and a HP 1610 printer.
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bzwrxbz »

djavet wrote:
Thx, I try this, but it chang too the others ingredients... Why?
How exactly proceed?

It give a rule to calculare this on paper to crosscontrol the amount of hops?

Regards, Dominique
Dominique... What exactly are you trying to do?

1. Take a 19L recipe, and do a partial boil on a 10L Kettle?
2. Take a 19L recipe, and turn it into a 10L recipe?
3. Take a 19L recipe, and separate out the boil for use in a 10L Kettle in 2 steps?

Answering 1,2, or 3 will help in determining where your problem lies. Or, you can email me (button below) the file and I can take a further look.

cheers!
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

For my mash in, I have 1.25 qt/lb as the Infusion Rate set in the edit window, but 1.19 qt/lb displays as Thickness in the Schedule frame.
This is for 12.48 qts:10#; 12.48/10=1.25.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Jeff: please see my questions at the end of this post

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:For my mash in, I have 1.25 qt/lb as the Infusion Rate set in the edit window, but 1.19 qt/lb displays as Thickness in the Schedule frame.
This is for 12.48 qts:10#; 12.48/10=1.25.
I tried, but can't duplicate your problem, slothrob. I just set up a test session with ten pounds of grain and a mashin of 12.48 quarts, and my thickness reads correctly: 1.25 quarts/pound. I thought maybe it might be due to a false bottom in your tun which presumeably (I don't have a false bottom) collects water that is then unavailable for mixing with the grain, which would certainly impact thickness, so I went to vessels and adjusted my deadspace -- thinking that that is what that is for -- but it had no impact at all. Of course I tried checking the UserGuide which makes no mention whatsoever of what "deadspace" means; it is not mentioned anywhere under 'vessels', nor can it be fournd in the index or with a word search. Maybe it means space in the lid of the ice chest; I don't know, but this is the sort of thing that keeps me on hold from recommending this program to others at this time. However, if, in fact, it does mean the space in a lid, then where is the space under a false bottom taken into consideration by the program? Not only will it definitely impact thickness, but I would expect that it would impact temperature and heat transfer somewhat, too.

Jeff: What does "deadspace" mean, in regard to the 'vessel' edit page? If it means the space under a false bottom, then why doesn't it impact thickness? If it is not under a false bottom, then how does your program take that into consideration?

Thanks.

Bill Velek
slothrob

Thanks, Bill!

Post by slothrob »

The difference in my 2 numbers would be 0.58 qts for 10 #'s.
This would be 0.145 gal., which is remarkably close to the 0.16 gal. that I uae as the residual volume for my tun. It's a cooler with a braid, no false bottom, so it doesn't affect thickness, it simply can't be drained.

I looked, and I had entered that number as Dead Space in my tun calibration (hoping the program would make that my default residual volume, which it didn't).

I reset the Dead Space volume to 0, now the problem is gone. I suppose Dead Space only includes the volume under a false bottom, then.

Not sure why it didn't affect the value for you.
Did you, perhaps, change the Boil Kettle Dead Space and not the Tun's Dead Space?
If not, did you remember to select your Mash Tun as Mash Vessel in your Mash In step in the Schedule frame?

Thanks for the help, Bill! :D
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Brant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by Brant »

Isn't deadspace simply the amount of space in the vessel below the spigot that will not be drained, because unforced water won't flow uphill, meaning that amount is forever unavailable to the brewer? However, I did just notice that my own schedules show the same same type of difference as slothrob is describing, and just confirmed that changing my mash tun's deadspace does in fact change the thickness on the Schedule. It seems to me that either I'm incorrect about what the deadspace means (which I don't believe, because it works out everywhere else by my definition of deadspace...), or deadspace actually has two meanings (both mine, and Bill's idea about it representing the space under the false bottom). If that is the case, then that technically would be a problem, because those two volumes are probably not the same in most systems.

Here is one more consideration about deadspace that I have. I think there is a potential difference in what should be considered deadspace for those of us with dip tubes that siphon from below the false bottom. With a full flow rate, which keeps the output hose full, the dead space will be lower, below the end of the dip tube. But with a slow (e.g., fly sparge) flow rate, the output hose will probably have airspace in it, which means no siphon is happening, so the dead space will still be the height of the hole in the mash tun's wall. I'm just throwing that out there in case anyone is coming up a little short on the sparges, plus to illustrate one reason why I don't think deadspace should have two meanings.