BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive A

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
Beer Snob
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Beer Snob »

Oh yeah and are you friends with Cris Colby? We are the only program with a picture in the balanced recipie article. Under the 'inspiration' section no less!! :shock:
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Balanced recipes article

Post by jeff »

Beer Snob wrote:Oh yeah and are you friends with Cris Colby? We are the only program with a picture in the balanced recipie article. Under the 'inspiration' section no less!! :shock:
I have to say that I don't know Chris too well, but he must be a pretty decent guy to use BTP in his article :wink:

Honestly, we had no idea that the BTP screenshot was going to be featured. When the article came out, I was visiting my family in CT. Lathe lives in CT too, and he had been over for dinner that night. After the evening, Lathe and his wife drove home and the new BYO was in his mailbox waiting for him. When he saw the screenshot, he drove all the way back, and got me out of bed to see it. We were pretty excited to say the least.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Hi Jeff,

Ok. just printed a new recipe and noticed two things:

1) Print out cut/split one of the lines so now you cannot read it on either page.
2) Is there anyway you can put the target temp on the mash schedule. The strike water temp is on there but not the intended mash temp.

Thanks,
Jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:Hi Jeff,

Ok. just printed a new recipe and noticed two things:

1) Print out cut/split one of the lines so now you cannot read it on either page.
2) Is there anyway you can put the target temp on the mash schedule. The strike water temp is on there but not the intended mash temp.

Thanks,
Jaw
Any way to print to a PDF and send it to me?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

will do after work tomorrow
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Pellet correction error

Post by TCBrewguy »

I just noticed that when I try to change the pellet correction (tinseth, mosher, fowler, etc.) nothing changes. Is anyone else having this problem?

edit: The pellet correction selection will change, but only after changing either the boil time or gravity correction algorithms - strange.

edit 2: After further investigation, the utilization section really seems to be acting up right now. Every time I change the pellet correction selection and close the utilization window, it reverts to some default selection (even though the selection window indicates that my desired selection is still active). I've tried saving the recipe, closing it and reopening with the same result.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I noticed something like that yesterday and swear that I worked in an earlier version, but I didn't have time to go back to check it out in detail.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Pellet correction error

Post by jeff »

TCBrewguy wrote:I just noticed that when I try to change the pellet correction (tinseth, mosher, fowler, etc.) nothing changes. Is anyone else having this problem?

edit: The pellet correction selection will change, but only after changing either the boil time or gravity correction algorithms - strange.

edit 2: After further investigation, the utilization section really seems to be acting up right now. Every time I change the pellet correction selection and close the utilization window, it reverts to some default selection (even though the selection window indicates that my desired selection is still active). I've tried saving the recipe, closing it and reopening with the same result.
Yep. It is (was) a bug. 1.0.21 will include the fix, thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

bug in printout/report

Post by Steve973 »

if you look at the "analysis" section of the printout, Original Extract contains values in Plato for both apparent and real, but terminal extract has a Plato value in apparent and a specific gravity value in real.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Jeff,

I see the target temp on the print out now, but it doesn't show up when you export the recipe as html. See the link here

http://waterstreetbrewery.net/?page_id=18
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Target temp on export

Post by billvelek »

jawbox wrote:Jeff,

I see the target temp on the print out now, but it doesn't show up when you export the recipe as html. ... snip
I hadn't checked the export feature until now, and I see that it doesn't show up on any of the export formats.

Also, in checking this, I just noticed that when I select 'Plain Text' as the output format, and then copy and paste it, it doesn't work correctly with NotePad, but it works okay with WordPad and WordPerfect. Is that just a limitation of NotePad, or is that a bug that can be fixed on BTP? What happens is that when I paste directly into NotePad, it is placing a symbol that is similar to an 'o' or '0' in place of the line-feed (return), although it is neither of those symbols. Oddly, I can paste the plain-text into WordPerfect, highlight and copy it again, and then paste into NotePad and everything looks like it should. This leads me to believe that it is a bug on your end. I don't recall generally having problems with line-feeds (returns) in NotePad whenever I copy and paste other material. Not a big deal to me, but just thought you should be aware of this.

Another small point is that if I highlight just a portion of the export screen and then hit copy, it still copies the entire recipe to my clipboard. Again, not a big deal at all, but I think that eventually it should be where a person can highlight just what they wish to copy.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Target temp on export

Post by bzwrxbz »

billvelek wrote:
jawbox wrote:Jeff,

I see the target temp on the print out now, but it doesn't show up when you export the recipe as html. ... snip
I hadn't checked the export feature until now, and I see that it doesn't show up on any of the export formats.

Also, in checking this, I just noticed that when I select 'Plain Text' as the output format, and then copy and paste it, it doesn't work correctly with NotePad, but it works okay with WordPad and WordPerfect. Is that just a limitation of NotePad, or is that a bug that can be fixed on BTP? What happens is that when I paste directly into NotePad, it is placing a symbol that is similar to an 'o' or '0' in place of the line-feed (return), although it is neither of those symbols. Oddly, I can paste the plain-text into WordPerfect, highlight and copy it again, and then paste into NotePad and everything looks like it should. This leads me to believe that it is a bug on your end. I don't recall generally having problems with line-feeds (returns) in NotePad whenever I copy and paste other material. Not a big deal to me, but just thought you should be aware of this.

Another small point is that if I highlight just a portion of the export screen and then hit copy, it still copies the entire recipe to my clipboard. Again, not a big deal at all, but I think that eventually it should be where a person can highlight just what they wish to copy.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Notepad sux for almost everything... I am surprised it is still around. I use Wordpad or something better, always.
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Maybe so, but ...

Post by billvelek »

I use notepad enough without any problems that I have it pinned to my start menu, but the popularity and/or limitations of notepad was not my main point. Extraneous characters seem to be the problem here with notepad, and IIRC it was extraneous characters that caused other difficulties for BTP recently, like with .xml files or something like that. The main thing was actually that none of the formats for 'export text' include the target temp; most of the time that isn't going to matter to any of us, and for many of us it will never matter. But that doesn't mean it is not a bug that shouldn't be fixed.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Maybe so, but ...

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:But that doesn't mean it is not a bug that shouldn't be fixed.
Let's all get the same understanding of what a bug is:
A software bug is an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program that prevents it from behaving as intended (e.g., producing an incorrect result).
So a bug is not a matter of preference as in the case of desired missing features. If Export Text crashed the program or somehow produced erroneous results, it would be considered a bug. In this case, though, missing target temperatures are simply omissions rather than defects; an issue of design.

This does not mean that such omissions should not be addressed. In fact, 1.0.22 already has target temperatures added. I would like to add that Export Text has a lot of room to grow, and will be greatly enhanced.

My point is that Export Text should not be condemned as buggy simply because it has been intentionally simplified to allow resources to be devoted to other important items in development.

Thanks for your kind attention.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Bugs???

Post by billvelek »

Jeff, I agree that desired features that have simply not been included in a program are certainly not bugs; no problem there, and if I accidentally referred to the missing target temp as a bug, then it is only because I presumed that with it being included in the screen displays, that it would naturally have been intended to be included in the printout too, since your printout pretty much contains all vital info. When we consider past discussions where I, among others, have mentioned how we would like to have target temps in our schedule, and couple that with past discussions where some, including myself, have indicated that we work in our brewery (kitchen) from the printout and NOT from our computers screens, it was naturally my presumption that target temps are supposed to be displayed on printouts. Well, in fact they ARE now ... but they are not included in exported text, which I can't believe is intentional. Perhaps calling it an "oversight" is better than calling it a "bug", but nevertheless it is something that I'm sure you will not hesitate to agree ought to be "fixed".

In my more recent post, my reference to a bug was actually with regard to what appears to me to be an incorrect transfer of data to NotePad. To me, it is a bug unless you actually intended for users of notepad to have to go to immense trouble to clean up the text transfer. Again, I can't believe that this is what was intended, and in any event, ought to be "fixed" unless it is something behond the control of BTP.

Meanwhile, putting semantics and word parsing aside, I have identified what I think is probably a bug, which I have started to discuss in the pre-release forum, but have put some screen shots and an explanation here, if you will please be so kind to look at it: http://home.alltel.net/billvelek/btp-bug.html ... but perhaps I am once again misunderstanding the purpose for a step (transfer) and the effect that it should have on volumes, etc.

Thanks.

Bill Velek