Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.

Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby starsailor » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:47 pm

There are 2 places in the main page of the interface where I can enter or allow the software to calculate a certain volume at a specific temperature. During a normal brew day I typically need to these volumes at a different temp. These 2 places are:

Kettle Volume @ 212 °F:
This is the pre-boil volume collected in the BK just before boiling losses start, but at boiling temp. While knowing this volume is good info to know that it will fit in the BK it's not very useful for knowing when to stop sparging or filling the BK prior to starting to heat the wort to the boiling point. I'd like to be able to set the temp here to the runoff temp in the kettle before firing the burner to know when to stop the sparge. That volume value, process wise, is much more useful to me while brewing yet the original is more useful when planning a brew. Allowing me to set the temp there would be very helpful during the brewing process while still preserving the original volume value at boiling.

Final Volume @ 68 °F
This is the post chilling volume in the BK after boiling and chilling yet before running off the BK into any fermenter or transfer vessel. While this is also a useful value for knowing how much wort to expect to transfer into a fermenter (less any trub loss and deadspace loss) it's not very useful in knowing when to stop the boil while the wort is still at boiling temp. I'd like to be able to set this value to the boiling temp so I know exactly when to stop the boil, especially as my boil off rate varies greatly with seasons, ambient air temp, and humidity. This volume at boiling is again much more useful while brewing yet the original is useful while planning a brew. Again, allowing me to set the temp here would be very helpful during brewing process while still preserving the original post chill volume value.
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby jeff » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 pm

This is added as of version 1.5.24
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby jawbox » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 pm

Like :D
PowerMac G4 933 Mhz, 1GB Ram, 17" Studio Display, Mac OSX 10.3.9
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IPhone 5
IPad 2
I like macs ;)
User avatar
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:43 pm
Location: W. Dundee

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby starsailor » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:51 pm

This will be a very a useful feature. I'm a bit surprised that it was only implemented at 3 predetermined temps though. While those temps are close to what I'll likely use, the ability to edit a default temp in the popup would be a bit more useful. For example, after sparging being able to edit a 168degF default temp in the popup to the exact temp of the run off in the kettle would be better, especially as the run off is going to loose heat to the kettle and to the air during the sparge. However, I'm sure I'll make good use of it as implemented. Thanks!
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby jeff » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:02 pm

starsailor wrote:For example, after sparging being able to edit a 168degF default temp in the popup to the exact temp of the run off in the kettle would be better, especially as the run off is going to loose heat to the kettle and to the air during the sparge.

I thought about making the temperatures editable but decided against it because the gains seemed to be eclipsed by the additional complexity. For example, let's say that on the outside chance your runoff is 10°F less than 168°F. The change in volume for a 10°F drop in temperature is around 0.3% or roughly 2 fl. oz. for a 5 gallon batch. I figure in most cases this is close enough and for times when it isn't the new water volume calculator could come to the rescue. However, if there are other temperatures that need to be added to the list of choices this can be done easily enough in a future update. Please let me know if you have something in mind.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby starsailor » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks Jeff for the well considered feature and reply. I see your point about the small temperature differences and what you implmented definetly fits the spirit and intent of my request. I hope many others find it useful.
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby bpylant » Fri May 03, 2013 9:13 am

I'd like to add to this feature request: can the setting be persistent, meaning if I choose to show the kettle volume @ 168º (which is my preference, as I'm collecting mash-temp wort), it will stay that way until I change it again? As it stands right now every time I relaunch the program it reverts to 212ºF.

Alternately, have this setting saved as part of the recipe. Either way, though, I think it would be much more useful if it didn't revert to the default every time I relaunch.

Thanks!
BTP 2.0.8

Computer Info:
Mac OS X 10.9.3
2.53 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM
User avatar
bpylant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: Merchantville NJ

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby bpylant » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:26 pm

bpylant wrote:I'd like to add to this feature request: can the setting be persistent, meaning if I choose to show the kettle volume @ 168º (which is my preference, as I'm collecting mash-temp wort), it will stay that way until I change it again? As it stands right now every time I relaunch the program it reverts to 212ºF.

Alternately, have this setting saved as part of the recipe. Either way, though, I think it would be much more useful if it didn't revert to the default every time I relaunch.

Thanks!


I'd like to renominate this feature request for v2.0; when I change the temperature the recipe acts like it's been modified and needs to be saved, but even if I save the recipe after this change this temperature doesn't appear to be saved in the recipe file.

More annoyingly, unlike v1.5 when I change this to 168ºF it doesn't hold until I relaunch the program; as soon as I open a different recipe it reverts to 212ºF.

Thanks!
BTP 2.0.8

Computer Info:
Mac OS X 10.9.3
2.53 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM
User avatar
bpylant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: Merchantville NJ

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby ColoradoBrewer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:42 am

bpylant wrote:
bpylant wrote:I'd like to add to this feature request: can the setting be persistent, meaning if I choose to show the kettle volume @ 168º (which is my preference, as I'm collecting mash-temp wort), it will stay that way until I change it again? As it stands right now every time I relaunch the program it reverts to 212ºF.

Alternately, have this setting saved as part of the recipe. Either way, though, I think it would be much more useful if it didn't revert to the default every time I relaunch.

Thanks!


I'd like to renominate this feature request for v2.0; when I change the temperature the recipe acts like it's been modified and needs to be saved, but even if I save the recipe after this change this temperature doesn't appear to be saved in the recipe file.

More annoyingly, unlike v1.5 when I change this to 168ºF it doesn't hold until I relaunch the program; as soon as I open a different recipe it reverts to 212ºF.

Thanks!
+ a gazillion! I asked for this when v2.0 was in beta and never received a response if it was possible or not. Also missing in v. 2.0 is the field to input evaporation/hr. I use different BKs depending on batch size and it's annoying to have to calculate the evaporation by hand.
BTP 2.0.8 (Linux)
User avatar
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:32 am
Location: South of Denver, North of the Springs

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby jeff » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 am

Implemented in version 2.0.5
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby bpylant » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:14 am

SWEET!, thanks!
BTP 2.0.8

Computer Info:
Mac OS X 10.9.3
2.53 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM
User avatar
bpylant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: Merchantville NJ

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby ColoradoBrewer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks, Jeff! The quick response is appreciated.
BTP 2.0.8 (Linux)
User avatar
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:32 am
Location: South of Denver, North of the Springs

Re: Allow user to change temp for "volume @ temp" valu

Postby jeff » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:47 am

ColoradoBrewer wrote:Thanks, Jeff! The quick response is appreciated.

No problem. It isn't the same as version 1.5 but hopefully the solution is workable for you.
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC


Return to BeerTools Pro Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests