Page 1 of 1

Adjuncts in boil kettle shouldn't affect pre-boil gravity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:24 pm
by Otter
Just noticed this on a belgian Tripel recipe. When I added the 2.5lbs of Table Sugar, the pre-boil gravity changed.

I like to use the pre-boil gravity to let me know what I need to collect out of my mash.

You can uncheck the ingredient and then check gravity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:38 pm
by billvelek
I thought maybe there was a "stage" that you could set to eliminate that problem, but I see that there isn't, which seems strange to have appropriate menu items that are dimmed out. E.g., most brewers don't boil their honey -- at least not for the full length -- but it isn't possible to select "Primary Fermenter".

Cheers.

Bill Velek

Re: Adjuncts in boil kettle shouldn't affect pre-boil gravit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:32 am
by jeff
Otter wrote:Just noticed this on a belgian Tripel recipe. When I added the 2.5lbs of Table Sugar, the pre-boil gravity changed.

I like to use the pre-boil gravity to let me know what I need to collect out of my mash.


Version 1.5.3 addresses this issue by adding a new stage for extracts and adjuncts called "Late Addition (Kettle)". Anything marked as a late addition will not be calculated as part of the pre-boil and will not affect hop utilization calculations. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm
by jawbox
Jeff,

Could you address how BTP handles adjuncts (sugar, honey etc) that usually ferment out 100%. I think BTP applies the yeast attenuation to these items rather than fermenting them out at 100%.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:14 pm
by jawbox
One more question.

Does BTP use the Fine grind or Coarse grind in calculating the gravity contribution from each malt?

Thanks Again

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 am
by jeff
jawbox wrote:Jeff,

Could you address how BTP handles adjuncts (sugar, honey etc) that usually ferment out 100%. I think BTP applies the yeast attenuation to these items rather than fermenting them out at 100%.

Thanks.


BeerTools Pro does not predict apparent attenuation. Rather it is entered by the user and left unmodified by BTP when calculating recipe results. The only time BeerTools Pro alters the apparent attenuation is when the user enters a different terminal gravity than what is predicted. Experienced brewers will typically adjust apparent attenuation during the recipe formulation process to account for different yeast strains and varying proportions of highly fermentable adjuncts. Hope this helps clear things up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:58 am
by jeff
jawbox wrote:One more question.

Does BTP use the Fine grind or Coarse grind in calculating the gravity contribution from each malt?

Thanks Again


Actually, BTP uses the "as-is coarse grind" to calculate gravity. This value is the coarse grind adjusted for moisture content. Additionally, the AICG depends on DBFG and FG-CG so changing any of these values will affect the others.