Ingredient Substituion in Recipes

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
tgioiosa
Light Lager
Light Lager

Ingredient Substituion in Recipes

Post by tgioiosa »

I'd like to see an Ingredient "Replace" feature for Recipes.
I'm not sure this already exists in BeerTools (at least I haven't found it anywhere), but here goes.....

I would like to have the capability to substitute an ingredient in an already-existing or downloaded recipe with an ingredient from the "My Ingredients" database. I can do that now but it involves having to first delete the ingredient in the recipe and then adding in the ingredient from My Ingredients, and then having to re-enter the amount of that ingredient. It's tedious when you have a lot of substitutions to make. Here's an example of what I mean:

Say the recipe has Munich Malt at 1.5 lbs. But in "My Ingredients" I have enough Bonlander Munich Malt to substitute, and to do this I have to add the Bonlander Muncih to the recipe, type in the 1.5 lbs., and then go delete the original Munich.

Wouldn't it be a lot simpler if BeerTools had a "Replace" feature?

You could select the Munich malt in the recipe and right click for an option called "replace with..", then choose the replacement ingredient from "My Ingredients" which would make the replacement AND keep the quantity from the original. For hops, it should also maintain the original quantity and the boil time from the original ingredient.

-Tony
All Grain Brewer since 2002
System: Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core @ 2.41GHz - 2GB Ram - Two 20" Samsung 204B 1280 x 1024 LCD displays, GeForce XT6800 graphics, 2100GB total hard drives
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

highlight the ingredient in the recipe you want to substitute. Then right click on the grain in your ingredients or the standard ingredient db that you want to replace it with. You'll see a replace in recipe option.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
tgioiosa
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by tgioiosa »

Jawbox,

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I didn't see it because I was trying to right-click on the Recipe's ingredient expecting to find the "replace" option.

It works great the way you described it.

-Tony

:D
All Grain Brewer since 2002
System: Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core @ 2.41GHz - 2GB Ram - Two 20" Samsung 204B 1280 x 1024 LCD displays, GeForce XT6800 graphics, 2100GB total hard drives