Inventory?

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.

Inventory?

Postby mrkristofo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:38 am

I'm really liking the layout of the new version. It seems very intuitive...except for the inventory. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to work? Or even find it, for that matter...
15" MBP 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 1440 x 1200, OSX 10.5.3
mrkristofo
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Postby PFBrew » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:23 am

I know what you mean. The only way I've found to add stuff to inventory(easily) is to right click on an ingredient in the DB and select add to inventory. Not super intuitive, but seems to work.

Just to clarify. "Your" ingredients are listed under My Ingredients(default). You can select from the preexisting ones(in the Ingredient DB right-click an item and select Add to my Ingredients) or fill out the info for a new one by selecting the item type under my ingredients and selecting new and filling in the info.

Are you on a Mac by chance? I still don't know why they won't create a right mouse button on those suckers!
OS: Fedora 8/Ubuntu (Gnome)
CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz
RAM: 4 GB
NVidia GeForce 7950GT 512 MB
1920x1200
PFBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Postby mrkristofo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:26 am

Yeah, I'm on a mac. Rt-click isn't really an issue now because it will do it when you touch 2 fingers to the trackpad instead of one.

I didn't see the "Quantity" part to the right of "My Ingredients" either. Neat. Seems to work for me now.
15" MBP 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 1440 x 1200, OSX 10.5.3
mrkristofo
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Postby pmd428 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:11 am

Click and drag it from one database to the other, its easy.
pmd428
Light Lager
Light Lager
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Lapeer, Michigan

Postby jawbox » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:26 am

even if you didn't have the touch pad ctrl-click works the same as a right click. Don't forget to deduct the recipe from your inventory to keep a current inventory.
PowerMac G4 933 Mhz, 1GB Ram, 17" Studio Display, Mac OSX 10.3.9
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IPhone 5
IPad 2
I like macs ;)
User avatar
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:43 pm
Location: W. Dundee

Postby djavet » Thu May 08, 2008 12:58 am

Is the inventory a new feature in 1.5.6? I dont have it into my 1.5.5b

Dom
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:24 am
Location: Switzerland

Inventory

Postby slothrob » Thu May 08, 2008 9:32 am

djavet wrote:Is the inventory a new feature in 1.5.6? I dont have it into my 1.5.5b

Dom

It's there. It's called My Ingredients.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
User avatar
slothrob
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Greater Boston

Postby rrosa » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Is there a way to automatically subtract the amount of the ingredients in the inventory list from the ingredients used in a recipe?
Ricardo - http://cervejarte.org/blog
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2Gb SDRAM running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
User avatar
rrosa
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro

Postby dasein668 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:34 pm

rrosa wrote:Is there a way to automatically subtract the amount of the ingredients in the inventory list from the ingredients used in a recipe?


If you have a recipe in your "Planned Recipes" folder, you can choose the shopping list window from the menu. You can then deduct the amount from that window.
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:45 pm

Postby rrosa » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 pm

dasein668 wrote:If you have a recipe in your "Planned Recipes" folder, you can choose the shopping list window from the menu. You can then deduct the amount from that window.


I see. Thanks! I had never used this Shopping list.

Another stupid question (or two): Does the "Planned Recipes" folder contain just symbolic links to recipes in other folders? What is the best way to "plan" a recipe. What I managed to do is to create a recipe in the "Recipe Folder" (usually just duplicating an existing recipe and modifying it), drag it to the "Planned Recipes" folder (which just adds the recipe in that folder without deleting it from the previous folder, and actually keeping both recipes in sync, that is why it seems it is just a symbolic link), and then after the beer is brewed, just delete from the "Planned Recipes" folder (the synced copy is kept in the original folder). Is that the way to do it? It seems odd.
Ricardo - http://cervejarte.org/blog
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2Gb SDRAM running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
User avatar
rrosa
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro

Postby dasein668 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:38 am

This is how I have been working. I'm not sure if this is the optimal way or not...

1) I set up numerous recipe folders under "Recipes". For example, I have "House Beers" "Tested Recipes" (brewed, but not "house beers"), "Starters", "In Development" (new recipes not yet brewed).

2) I set up a "Sessions" folder under "Recipes" as well.

3) When I'm ready to brew, I drag a recipe from wherever it currently exists to the "planned" folder. I check my ingredients, purchsase if necessary, and add to inventory. Then "Deduct from Inentory".

4) I then change the name from "New House Ale" (or whatever) to something like "2008_07_0601 New House Ale" and then save as into my sessions folder.

5) Delete the recipe from the "Planned recipes" folder.

6) Open the new recipe I saved into "Sessions" and use that for any notes, etc that relate to the particular session.

Hope this helps.
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:45 pm

Postby jeff » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:43 am

dasein668 wrote:This is how I have been working. I'm not sure if this is the optimal way or not...

1) I set up numerous recipe folders under "Recipes". For example, I have "House Beers" "Tested Recipes" (brewed, but not "house beers"), "Starters", "In Development" (new recipes not yet brewed).

2) I set up a "Sessions" folder under "Recipes" as well.

3) When I'm ready to brew, I drag a recipe from wherever it currently exists to the "planned" folder. I check my ingredients, purchsase if necessary, and add to inventory. Then "Deduct from Inentory".

4) I then change the name from "New House Ale" (or whatever) to something like "2008_07_0601 New House Ale" and then save as into my sessions folder.

5) Delete the recipe from the "Planned recipes" folder.

6) Open the new recipe I saved into "Sessions" and use that for any notes, etc that relate to the particular session.

Hope this helps.


What if there were another pseudo-folder called "Brewing"? Would this eliminate the need to do a save-as?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Postby dasein668 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:37 am

I'm not sure, Jeff. Part of what I like to accomplish with the save as is to have a copy of the final recipe as brewed, including actual OG, FG etc. Since this varies slightly from batch to batch, I've wanted a separate recipe that records all of these details without affecting the original recipe. And then the session recipe remains even after the brew session is over, so I can compare, for example, the last 5 batches of New House Ale, or what have you. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if a pseudo folder would accomplish that or not.

The system I've been following works really well for me; I'm not sure if it would work for most people or not.
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:45 pm

Postby rrosa » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:36 pm

I think the planned recipes pseudo-folder is a bit confusing but once you understand it, it is okay. One could then create folders to keep original recipes, brewed recipes, house recipes as you mentioned and that seems good enough. And I don't see the need to "save as", just drag and drop the recipes between folders. And to keep back up copies, just copy the whole "Recipes" folder under the "BeerTools Pro" directory using Finder, Windows Explorer, etc..

Thanks for the explanations!
Ricardo - http://cervejarte.org/blog
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2Gb SDRAM running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
User avatar
rrosa
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro

Postby dasein668 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:32 pm

rrosa wrote:I think the planned recipes pseudo-folder is a bit confusing but once you understand it, it is okay. One could then create folders to keep original recipes, brewed recipes, house recipes as you mentioned and that seems good enough. And I don't see the need to "save as", just drag and drop the recipes between folders. And to keep back up copies, just copy the whole "Recipes" folder under the "BeerTools Pro" directory using Finder, Windows Explorer, etc..

Thanks for the explanations!


The only trouble I see with drag/drop is that that moves the recipe, rather than making a separate copy that I can modify for my particular session. I do drag/drop when I move a base recipe from "in development" to "tested" or "house recipes" but create a copy with a filename that references the brew session and date into the "sessions" folder for the actual brew day. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:45 pm

Next

Return to BeerTools Pro Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron