Feature Requests Archive B

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
mranes

Re: Presets Request

Post by mranes »

joshi wrote:Presets and example equipment. Many many people use fairly standard sized equipment, such as a converted keg (keggle), turkey fryer burner, 5 or 10 gallon round cooler, etc. I know there is a thread in the forums where you can go see what everyone else tested and used, but it would be REALLY helpful if you could choose these things from a list when you are defining your equipment.
+1 on this!

It would be cool to have presets for B3's Italian kettles, Megapots, the Polarware stuff and more. It would make the scheduling area a bit less daunting. :)

Mark
slothrob

Schedule

Post by slothrob »

It's really not that big a deal to set up a Schedule. Do it once and it will all be clear.
It's easier in v1.5, as well.

The cool thing is that, since you do the same kind of mash each time, you only have to set it up once. Do that and it will automatically adjust itself to each new recipe you enter! Even easier than opening the calculator window.

I'd be glad to help anyone who wants to get over the hump of getting started with the Schedule. You can PM me and I could formulate a Schedule for you, but maybe we'd help the most people with another "How to set up a schedule" thread.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Bobby_M
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Presets Request

Post by Bobby_M »

mranes wrote:
joshi wrote:Presets and example equipment. Many many people use fairly standard sized equipment, such as a converted keg (keggle), turkey fryer burner, 5 or 10 gallon round cooler, etc. I know there is a thread in the forums where you can go see what everyone else tested and used, but it would be REALLY helpful if you could choose these things from a list when you are defining your equipment.
+1 on this!

It would be cool to have presets for B3's Italian kettles, Megapots, the Polarware stuff and more. It would make the scheduling area a bit less daunting. :)

Mark
100% agree. As long as you include name brands/sizes of cooler based mash tuns, they'll all have the same heat data making it much easier for folks to use. I think it would be great to have this piece of data modular in that it can be downloaded/imported into your local copy. For example, as a new set of pots come out, the data can be uploaded as people do the work to populate. If one person does the calculation for an uninsulated sanke based MLT with a false bottom, it only needs to be done once.
merlin_r68

Ingredient Description Balloon or Info to context menu?

Post by merlin_r68 »

Hi,

Great product, btw.

I want to read the descriptions of various grains in the DB. I select Ingredient DB-->Grains.

I can only read a small portion of the description before it gets cut off with an ellipsis (...). To read the rest, I have to add it to my recipe and then double click on it (that's the fastest way I have found), or, I have to go to Window-->Info.

It would be better to have a pop-up balloon come up on mouse hover with the full text. Another option would be to add 'Info' to the ingredient's context menu or to allow the user to double click on the item in the DB without adding it to the recipe.

What I got:

"Dingemans Munich malt undergoes higher kilning temperatures than pale malt. The resulting malt..."

What I wanted to see (easily for many grains):

"Dingemans Munich malt undergoes higher kilning temperatures than pale malt. The resulting malt will lend a full, malty flavor and aroma, and an orange-amber color. This malt can make up to 100% of the grain bill, but low diastatic power makes this malt unsuitable for use with adjuncts."
AMD Athlon 64 (FX-60 Dual Core) @ 2.61 GHz,
2.0 GB RAM,
SATA RAID,
Windows XP Pro x64 Edition Version 2003 - SP2
joshi
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Schedules

Post by joshi »

slothrob,

I have no problems setting one up myself. And thank you for offering to help those that need help. However. my suggestion was to help make that type of help unnecessary. I am suggesting things so that the scheduler system is more intuitive for the first time user.

I've written a lot of software, including some for non-computer using type of people. Just offering some suggestions to make the scheduling part more easily adopted. First impressions are important, and mash schedules are an integral part of brewing software.

I like the software a lot and am just trying to help it succeed. There are still a lot of first-time users out there.
Been there, brewed that.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Ingredient Description Balloon or Info to context menu?

Post by jeff »

merlin_r68 wrote:Hi,

Great product, btw.

I want to read the descriptions of various grains in the DB. I select Ingredient DB-->Grains.

I can only read a small portion of the description before it gets cut off with an ellipsis (...). To read the rest, I have to add it to my recipe and then double click on it (that's the fastest way I have found), or, I have to go to Window-->Info.

It would be better to have a pop-up balloon come up on mouse hover with the full text. Another option would be to add 'Info' to the ingredient's context menu or to allow the user to double click on the item in the DB without adding it to the recipe.

What I got:

"Dingemans Munich malt undergoes higher kilning temperatures than pale malt. The resulting malt..."

What I wanted to see (easily for many grains):

"Dingemans Munich malt undergoes higher kilning temperatures than pale malt. The resulting malt will lend a full, malty flavor and aroma, and an orange-amber color. This malt can make up to 100% of the grain bill, but low diastatic power makes this malt unsuitable for use with adjuncts."
You might try using the Window->Info panel. This gives extensive data on each selected item.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
merlin_r68

Re: Ingredient Description Balloon or Info to context menu?

Post by merlin_r68 »

Ok, I understand now. I need to just keep that Info window open at all times (I thought it was modal at first). It would be nice to add the "Info" option to the right-click (context) menu for quicker access when it isn't already open.
AMD Athlon 64 (FX-60 Dual Core) @ 2.61 GHz,
2.0 GB RAM,
SATA RAID,
Windows XP Pro x64 Edition Version 2003 - SP2
slothrob

Re: Schedules

Post by slothrob »

joshi wrote:However. my suggestion was to help make that type of help unnecessary. I am suggesting things so that the scheduler system is more intuitive for the first time user.
It would be nice to have a few sample schedules and some common equipment bundled with the program. Another option would be for us to update the BeerToolsWiki once v1.5 goes mainstream.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
edogbert

Adding Ingredients

Post by edogbert »

I am making a recipe just using the ingredient database and I have to drag and drop the ingredient into the recipe. This is getting very annoying. If you could just double click on the ingredient to get it to go from the database to your recipe, that would be great. But as of right now loving the new program.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Adding Ingredients

Post by jeff »

edogbert wrote:I am making a recipe just using the ingredient database and I have to drag and drop the ingredient into the recipe. This is getting very annoying. If you could just double click on the ingredient to get it to go from the database to your recipe, that would be great. But as of right now loving the new program.
Double-click is reserved for edit, but you can right-click the ingredient and select "Add To Recipe" if dragging presents a problem.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
edogbert

Right Click Problem

Post by edogbert »

I am using a mac so a right click is not always there. i think that you should make the right click the edit option and the dubble left click the add to recipe. now that may just be me.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Right Click Problem

Post by jeff »

edogbert wrote:I am using a mac so a right click is not always there.
On the Mac a "right-click" is performed by holding the Control key while clicking the mouse. However, the new MacBooks allow right-clicks to be performed by holding two fingers on the track pad while clicking (pretty nifty) :wink:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
bludrgn
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by bludrgn »

I would like to be able to exchange grain in the recipe for grain in my inventory by dragging and dropping the grain on top of the item in the recipe.
All Grain

Windows XP SP2 Pentium D 805 2.66GHz 2 Gig Dual display Samsung SyncMaster 753DF Compaq V75
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

bludrgn wrote:I would like to be able to exchange grain in the recipe for grain in my inventory by dragging and dropping the grain on top of the item in the recipe.
You can also use the "Replace In Recipe" context menu item to replace an ingredient selected in the recipe.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Grist ratio

Post by jeff »

mranes wrote:Basically, just let me set a quart/pound (or other scale) brewhouse preference and then have the basic recipe printouts reflect this in how much mash water I need.

Mark
Is it possible for you to send me a PDF of the print-out that includes the information you want so I have a point of reference?

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff