Feature Requests Archive B

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.

Re: Clipboard...

Postby attitude » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks , I finally figured it out. What a pain in the *ss. With promash , its one click.


lathe wrote:attitude,

If you press the "copy" button, the html will be placed in your computers clipboard. Once you have done that, "paste" it into an empty plain text file (notepad). Saving that plain text file with the .html extension creates an html file.

EX: myrecipe.html

Open the file with your internet browser to test it.
HP Pavilion dv1040US*Pentium M 1.6GHz*14.0 15:9 ratio 1280 X 768 res WXGA HD rightview Widescreen*1 GB Ram*
User avatar
attitude
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Dilution Tool

Postby wottaguy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:36 am

This request has been asked from a member (djavet) and I thought it was a very worthy request. He has made a request of a Dilution Tool to be added to BTP. Below is what he has requested:

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7548#17548

I do agree that this would be a very good additional feature and should be added when possible.

Thanks!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
User avatar
wottaguy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Florida

Re: Dilution Tool

Postby TCBrewguy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:26 pm

wottaguy wrote:This request has been asked from a member (djavet) and I thought it was a very worthy request. He has made a request of a Dilution Tool to be added to BTP. Below is what he has requested:

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7548#17548

I do agree that this would be a very good additional feature and should be added when possible.

Thanks!

(_)3


Isn't that what the "Water Volume Added" field does?

Image
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:25 am

RE: Re: Dilution Tool

Postby wottaguy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi TCBrewguy,

The dilution tool that djavet describes is not the same tool that you are thinking of. The dilution tool in question calculates the tital SG of any wort if it is diluted with an amount of water OR an amount of wort of known specific gravity. This tool is very useful for determining how much water or wort to add to achieve a certain SG. Both Pro Mash and Beer Smith have this type of tool. I personaly find myself using the dilution tool listed in Pro Mash quite often and it has been a very important tool for me. I use it all the time!

Thanks for your input.

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
User avatar
wottaguy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Florida

Postby TCBrewguy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:37 pm

Gotcha.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:25 am

Postby TCBrewguy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:19 pm

I know the beta is launching tomorrow, but I figured I'd mention this feature request anyway: I would really like to see the "duplicate ingredient" feature return. It existed in v1.0 and went away with v1.1.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:25 am

Postby slothrob » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:43 am

TCBrewguy wrote:I know the beta is launching tomorrow, but I figured I'd mention this feature request anyway: I would really like to see the "duplicate ingredient" feature return. It existed in v1.0 and went away with v1.1.
+1
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
User avatar
slothrob
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Greater Boston

Postby mranes » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:51 pm

Something *really* simple I'd like to see is to have the mash infusion volume included on the printed recipe. It is a PITA to have to load the recipe, pull down the calculators and the select the Mash tab to just to see how much water goes in my mash tun.

Please include this critical piece of information on printouts. I hate having to manually check this every time i brew...

Mark
mranes
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Postby slothrob » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:05 am

mranes wrote:Something *really* simple I'd like to see is to have the mash infusion volume included on the printed recipe. It is a PITA to have to load the recipe, pull down the calculators and the select the Mash tab to just to see how much water goes in my mash tun.

Please include this critical piece of information on printouts. I hate having to manually check this every time i brew...

Mark

Do you use the Schedule field to calculate the mash volumes?
The volumes from the Schedule field should be included on the printout.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
User avatar
slothrob
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Greater Boston

Postby mranes » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:22 am

Nope. The Schedules area is, how can I say this... less than intuitive. Yes, I've looked at it more than twice and still come away baffled.

I had promised myself I wouldn't mention the "other" brewing package that everyone else keeps mentioning, but it allows me to set a constant grist ratio, and then it simply pops out the water volume needed on the recipe. In Beertools, I have to manually add the grain bill (or go back to the Analysis tab), then use the calculators.

Yea, it sounds like I need to sit down and figure out the Schedules area, but I'd like to see a way to set a brewhouse constant volume infusion ratio (quarts/pounds), then then have Beertools do the math. I'm doing simple single infusion mashes 90% of the time (and I'll bet most others are, too) so setting up a mash schedule seems like far more work that it will pay out.

I know two other members of my brewclub that use Beertools, and this is an issue with them, too. Maybe we're all just dolts! :)

Mark
mranes
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Postby jeff » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:09 pm

mranes wrote:In Beertools, I have to manually add the grain bill (or go back to the Analysis tab), then use the calculators.


You can also perform quick mash calculations using the Window->Calculators->Mash tools. These are not tied to the recipe so there is no need to add ingredients to get fast answers.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Postby mranes » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:23 pm

jeff wrote:
mranes wrote:In Beertools, I have to manually add the grain bill (or go back to the Analysis tab), then use the calculators.


You can also perform quick mash calculations using the Window->Calculators->Mash tools. These are not tied to the recipe so there is no need to add ingredients to get fast answers.


This is what I've been doing - but unfortunately, I have to write the info down on the printed recipe. In the end, it's all good, but it is an extra step when I'm heading out to my brew area to mill grain and prepare my water.

I realize I'm just whining about functionality that is built into Beertools, but I was hoping for a quick and dirty solution, based on a brewhouse constant grist ratio. This simple request is my biggest issue in moving over from the other company's software. If I hadn't been there first, and gotten used to the data they put on their printouts, I'd probably never have noticed this. Beertools is sooooo much more efficient and feature rich than the other company's software, that at this point I'd never go back! I'll shut up now :)

Mark
mranes
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Postby jeff » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:33 pm

mranes wrote:I realize I'm just whining about functionality that is built into Beertools, but I was hoping for a quick and dirty solution, based on a brewhouse constant grist ratio. This simple request is my biggest issue in moving over from the other company's software. If I hadn't been there first, and gotten used to the data they put on their printouts, I'd probably never have noticed this. Beertools is sooooo much more efficient and feature rich than the other company's software, that at this point I'd never go back! I'll shut up now


So all you want is a little more data on the print-out?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 9:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

Postby mranes » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:46 pm

jeff wrote:So all you want is a little more data on the print-out?


Yup:)

Basically, just let me set a quart/pound (or other scale) brewhouse preference and then have the basic recipe printouts reflect this in how much mash water I need.

Mark
mranes
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Presets Request

Postby joshi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:01 pm

I understand the previous confusion about building the schedules. At first it was not overly intuitive. I do like the new schedules system. It makes a number of improvements. Personally, after spending some time with BTP's scheduling system, I really like it. It is super flexible and capable of describing many of the more professional and exotic mash proceedures.

One of the hardest parts of becoming familiar with this system is getting set up. So to help with the learning curve (and ultimately the system's acceptance) I propose the following three things:

1) Presets and example equipment. Many many people use fairly standard sized equipment, such as a converted keg (keggle), turkey fryer burner, 5 or 10 gallon round cooler, etc. I know there is a thread in the forums where you can go see what everyone else tested and used, but it would be REALLY helpful if you could choose these things from a list when you are defining your equipment.

2) Preset Mash Schedules. The previous version had this feature and I think it is a good way to play around with the schedules and figure out what each step consists of and what variables mean what. So keep the pre-sets. Also you might consider a 'wizard' for generating the mash schedule. Most homebrewers (assuming they are your largest target audience) use fairly simple mash schedules. (Well at least the newer brewers. And I'd think you want to not drive away brewers in their formative stages from your product.)
Step 1) So something like starting the wizard and choosing between Single Infusion, 1 Step Infustion, 2 Step Infusion, Single Decoction, Double Decoction, Triple Decoction. Mash Combination (for cereal cookers), etc.
Step 2) Choose temperature and duration for the rests.
Step 3) Choose type, length and volume for the sparge.

I think using the wizards will save time for experienced brewers, as well as give a basis for newer users of the software to become accustomed to it.

3) Ability to Save/Export and then Load/Import mash schedules. Once you have your process defined, they are likely to reuse that same process over and over with slight modification to temperature rests. Having to redefine everything for each recipe can get to be a drag.



Regards,
Joshi Fullop
Systems Engineer
NCSA
System1: q6600/4GB RAM/8800GTS512/1TB RAID 5
System2: 3GHz P4/1GB RAM/Mobile Radeon 9700
System3: 3.4GHz Pentium D/2GB Ram/7300LE
System4: 2.4GHz P4/512MB RAM/Integrated Video
Systems ad naseaum....
joshi
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to BeerTools Pro Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron