Feature Requests Archive B

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Universal Double Click in Folder Contents Window

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:I like the idea of double clicking in the Folder Contents Window to open a recipe, and this works good.

However, when I have any recipe open and click on the Styles folder to display the bjcp styles, when I single click on any style, the style setting on the recipe changes to that style. Can we have it change only when double clicked? That way we can browse the style db without changing the desired style in the already open recipe. I find myself browsing the styles db quite often and have in the past mistakenly changed the open recipes' desired style.

Thanks!

(_)3
I have thought about this issue and have yet to resolve it. Double-clicking a style is for editing the style (custom) rather than applying the style to a recipe. So I think that "Apply" will have to be performed using a single or double click with a modifier key such as control or alt. Any universal interface standards apply here?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Universal Double Click

Post by wottaguy »

Jeff,

hummmm....how about a double left click to Apply...and a right click context menu for edit options and such???

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

Would it be possible to enable Mac two-finger scrolling for the "info" pane?
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
Dale Hair
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dale Hair »

I would lke to have the arrows for hop boil time change by increments of five minutes. I've never seen a recipe call for 7 minute or 18 minute boil times, always an increment of 5. At least allow that as on option.
AMD 64 X2 4600 - 2G Ram - 20" Samsung 206BW 1680x1050 - NVidia GeForce 6100, shared ram - Debian Lenny - gnome desktop
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Logging out of BT Online

Post by a_daley »

I would like my password to be cleared from the box when I logout from BeerTools server using the recipe window - not left available for any person who comes along to try and simply login using my account if I have accidentally left the recipe window open.
Last edited by a_daley on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Logging out of Beertools.com

Post by a_daley »

When you logon to BT.com using Recipe window you can access the recipe library without any hassle.
When you log off you currently have to go to both the browser window to log off and as well as the recipe window.
It would be easier if the logout button would log you off both beertools.com and your recipe database together.
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Icons on the toolbar

Post by a_daley »

Could you add a few icons to the toolbar? Namely thinking of an Info icon plus maybe a Calculator & Shopping List...

Also an icon that directed you straight to the user guide would be useful for new users as well.
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Adding Minimize Buttons

Post by a_daley »

It would be easier if you could add minimize buttons to the calculator and Recipe Windows like the Shopping List.
These windows remain active in front of BTP even when the new recipe is the active screen although you can now move the windows to view specific areas in 1.5.4.
rrosa
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Delete, dragging folders, sugar addition, hop utilization

Post by rrosa »

Hi, Lathe,

I am sorry if I request something that has been mentioned before, but the list of requests is too long for me to check.

The first and easy thing is about deleting items in the lists. I would like to just hit the delete key and then hit enter to confirm instead of right-clicking it, selecting it with the mouse, and so on. I am more keyboard-oriented than mouse-oriented.

I would also like to drag items in the lists to change their order. Some lists are alphabetically ordered and we can change it, like the folders on the left, the list of recipes, etc.

When adding sugar, I can only choose "Boil (kettle)" and there is no place to add the time of the addition. I would like to be able to record the time remaining for the boil, or to choose "post-boil" or "bottling" (for carbonation).

As for the hop utilization, many formulas have corrections for gravity and it makes a difference whether adding sugar to the kettle at the beginning of the boil, or at the end or in the remaining 15min, etc. Depending on the amount of sugar, the difference may be more than 5 IBUs. It is not that big of a deal, but if it is possible to take this into consideration, it would be nice.

Different algorithms for color prediction has been mentioned a few times and I second that. There are many other wishes like party-gyle, etc., but I understand that things like that are more demanding and that we'll get there eventually. I am very happy with the improvements made so far and can only encourage you to keep working as you have been doing.

Cheers,
-R.
Ricardo - http://cervejarte.org/blog
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2Gb SDRAM running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Delete, dragging folders, sugar addition, hop utilizatio

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

rrosa wrote:When adding sugar, I can only choose "Boil (kettle)" and there is no place to add the time of the addition. I would like to be able to record the time remaining for the boil, or to choose "post-boil" or "bottling" (for carbonation).

As for the hop utilization, many formulas have corrections for gravity and it makes a difference whether adding sugar to the kettle at the beginning of the boil, or at the end or in the remaining 15min, etc. Depending on the amount of sugar, the difference may be more than 5 IBUs. It is not that big of a deal, but if it is possible to take this into consideration, it would be nice.
I agree. I was going to ask for this myself, so I'll just second Ricardo's request. I brewed a dubbel a few days ago and added Belgian Candi Syrup the last 10 minutes of the boil. I found myself thinking it would have been nice if I could have input that info so that BTP could have be calculated the IBUs more accurately.

Another thing I hope that will be incorporated is for BTP to remember the state of the list at the top of the screen when the program closes. For example, I like to arrange Planned Recipes by date in ascending order. When BTP is closed and then reopened it reverts to the default which displays the list alphabetically by name. I wish it wouldn't do that.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Delete, dragging folders, sugar addition, hop utilizatio

Post by TCBrewguy »

rrosa wrote:Hi, Lathe,

I am sorry if I request something that has been mentioned before, but the list of requests is too long for me to check.

The first and easy thing is about deleting items in the lists. I would like to just hit the delete key and then hit enter to confirm instead of right-clicking it, selecting it with the mouse, and so on. I am more keyboard-oriented than mouse-oriented.

I would also like to drag items in the lists to change their order. Some lists are alphabetically ordered and we can change it, like the folders on the left, the list of recipes, etc.

When adding sugar, I can only choose "Boil (kettle)" and there is no place to add the time of the addition. I would like to be able to record the time remaining for the boil, or to choose "post-boil" or "bottling" (for carbonation).

Different algorithms for color prediction has been mentioned a few times and I second that. There are many other wishes like party-gyle, etc., but I understand that things like that are more demanding and that we'll get there eventually. I am very happy with the improvements made so far and can only encourage you to keep working as you have been doing.

Cheers,
-R.
+1 to everything Colorado said, especially with regard to the color formula selection option! :wink: 8)
Last edited by TCBrewguy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
PFBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by PFBrew »

Add HLT and Sparge Vessel to Stage vessel type.

Example:

If I added 10 ml of Phosphoric Acid to my Sparge Vessel I can't indicate such in the inventory view.

If I add some brewing salts to my whole batch (HLT)....
CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz
RAM: 4 GB
NVidia GeForce 7950GT 512 MB
1920x1200
markh139

Initial Thoughts

Post by markh139 »

Thanks again Jeff for the opportunity to look at 1.5. I've been awaiting your update for a number of reasons.

I've been brewing for about 2 years. The first software package I purchased was btp 1.0. I enjoyed this program very much but, as I transitioned to AG I could not get beyond the need for inventory control. With that in mind I also purchased beersmith and have been using that for about 6 months keeping an eye on your update schedule.

Having spent a couple hours with 1.5 beta today, and having read through this thread, I have a few observations.

I love the changes to the GUI... well thought out and much more intutiave. I started draging and clicking fairly quickly loading an old recipe into 1.5. Found most everything I wanted to do fairly quickly.

I have to agree with the call for presets with equipment. You will be adding a demo feature to the software with the release of 1.5. As you can imagine, new users will download btp and beersmith (maybe others) for direct comparison prior to selecting one to purchase.

Compound this expectation with the fact that many homebrewers purchase software to simplify the process of calibrating equipment, I totally concur with the opinion that a limited number of equipment presets should be available to start with. The lack of these presets forcing the need to take measurements of equipment and figure out what the j/kg k values mean and how they relate to my equipment, may be a show stopper compared to clicking on a 15 gal Igloo cooler mash tun. Admittedly, I'm much more of a beer 'artist' and not a beer 'scientist' so it's no wonder I want to get beyond this stuff quickly and get right to the good stuff.

Having the ability to pick different preset mash schedules for newbie AG brewers would be a plus.

Inventory control and shopping list live up to my expectations and needs. Good job.

After reading the thread I would also promote the inclusion of a fermintation schedule, and would also lobby for an onscreen/printable calendar posting the fermintation schedules of all recipes in the 'planned recipe' folder on the calendar. This being the only other feature in your competitor's package that I find superior to btp 1.5 beta. I can only assume, with the inclusion of a drop down calendar box in the 'date' field, that you may be heading in this direction in the future... if so, I would encourage you to move this up on your priority list as this will level the playing field in regards to who has what feature, and will focus your potential new customers to look at GUI, ease of use.. this being where BTP 1.5 is far superior.

Even if none of my observations are planned for implementation, I will be coming back to BTP in earnest upon beta going final. The inclusion of inventory control was a clear necessity, and with that addition I'll come back to the software package I prefer. Sorry to make direct comparisons to your competitor, but additing the demo package is critical in the beer software marketplace and I feel what I've mentioned will be keys picked up in the direct comparison, especially to the beer 'artist' types just starting out in AG brewing.

I have calibrated my equipment in BTP 1.5 beta and will make a couple batches of brew to see how well the calculations come together... I'll report back my findings... thanks once again for allowing me the opportunity to critique.
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by dasein668 »

I'd like to see the arrows for hop quantities (in the recipe area) adjust by 0.1 ounce rather than 1.0 ounce. Or could this be made an option/preference setting?
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

dasein668 wrote:I'd like to see the arrows for hop quantities (in the recipe area) adjust by 0.1 ounce rather than 1.0 ounce. Or could this be made an option/preference setting?
You can increment by 0.1 by holding the Option key (Alt key Windows I think) while clicking the arrows. If it isn't working, then there's a bug.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff