Feature Requests Archive B

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
slothrob

Re: Recipe search function

Post by slothrob »

a_daley wrote:If I highlight "Recipe" then type in only part of the recipe name can you make it search all my "sub directories" for that recipe? Certainly helps when I can't remember the directory or the whole name of the brew...
I meant to request this , too.
This is the way the Ingredients submenus work, so it would be internally consistent.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
bludrgn
Light Lager
Light Lager

Email Shopping List /sync List with PDA orPhone

Post by bludrgn »

Hi I love the new Planned recipes folder - it has really streamline my brew planning; however I would love to have a way to sync my shopping list to my PDA - either by being able to mail the list to myself (also useful for those with smart phone) or to be able to export it to an Outlook todo list.
BTP just keeps getting better!
Thanks
Maurice
All Grain

Windows XP SP2 Pentium D 805 2.66GHz 2 Gig Dual display Samsung SyncMaster 753DF Compaq V75
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Email Shopping List /sync List with PDA orPhone

Post by a_daley »

bludrgn wrote:Hi I love the new Planned recipes folder - it has really streamline my brew planning; however I would love to have a way to sync my shopping list to my PDA - either by being able to mail the list to myself (also useful for those with smart phone) or to be able to export it to an Outlook todo list.
BTP just keeps getting better!
Thanks
Maurice
I was going to ask for this as well...
Bobby_M
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bobby_M »

jeff wrote:
I usually open the info panel and position it next to the main window so that I can see all the information for every item I click on. Works ok for me. :)
You ought to think about making the info pane open as a default when the program launches, at least on initial install because I only recently found this supremely useful tool.
Bobby_M on Homebrewtalk.com
HP DV9200 Laptop, Intel T5500, 2 Gig RAM, Windows Vista, 17" widescreen display at 1440 x 900 and 32 colors.

my youtube vids: www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj
Bobby_M
Light Lager
Light Lager

Print my inventory

Post by Bobby_M »

I need a way to print out my entire inventory. Sometimes you just want to sit with a piece of paper and think about new ingredients you'd like to stock or just throw around recipe ideas with other folks without having to have a laptop around.
Bobby_M on Homebrewtalk.com
HP DV9200 Laptop, Intel T5500, 2 Gig RAM, Windows Vista, 17" widescreen display at 1440 x 900 and 32 colors.

my youtube vids: www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Bobby_M wrote:
jeff wrote:
I usually open the info panel and position it next to the main window so that I can see all the information for every item I click on. Works ok for me. :)
You ought to think about making the info pane open as a default when the program launches, at least on initial install because I only recently found this supremely useful tool.
Yeah, I was thinking it might even be helpful to have some layout choices in the window menu.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by dasein668 »

Ok, I'm messing around with importing an old recipe (from 1.0.2) and here's what I'd like to be able to do. First, the background:

The old recipe has some ingredients that are not in my current inventory, BUT in my current inventory are acceptable analogs. Example, my original recipe used "Aromatic Malt" but currently in inventory I have "Belgian Aromatic." I don't want to go out and buy "Aromatic Malt" because I'm just going to substitute the Belgian Aromatic that I have in stock.

Feature request:

I'd like to be able to select "Belgian Aromatic" in my inventory and drag it OVER "Aromatic Malt" in my recipe. When I drop the new malt over the old one "Aromatic Malt" gets replaced by "Begian Aromatic" in the recipe. The amount of malt in the recipe is not changed, just the actual malt used (and any related color/sg potential etc) is changed to the malt that is actually in my inventory.

Does that make sense? It's kind of hard to describe, but seems perfectly clear in my mind's eye! :mrgreen:

Similarly, the AA of hops that I have in stock at any time may change as well. It would be nice to be able to drag a hop that I have in stock to replace the old hop in the recipe. What would be ideal is if the program would then adjust my quantity required to maintain the same IBU concentration based on the new hop's AA percentage. Example, recipe contains Cascade at 5.5AA but in inventory I have Cascade at 7.5AA. I drag the 7.5AA hop from inventory into my recipe and the recipe automatically adjusts the amount of hops required to maintain IBUs.
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

dasein668 wrote:I'd like to be able to select "Belgian Aromatic" in my inventory and drag it OVER "Aromatic Malt" in my recipe. When I drop the new malt over the old one "Aromatic Malt" gets replaced by "Begian Aromatic" in the recipe. The amount of malt in the recipe is not changed, just the actual malt used (and any related color/sg potential etc) is changed to the malt that is actually in my inventory.
Something that might help for now is this: select the ingredient you want to replace in your recipe, and then right-click (control-click Mac) on the inventory ingredient you want to use instead. Choose "Replace in Recipe". This will replace the ingredient in the recipe with the inventory ingredient, but preserve the quantity.

Hope that helps :)
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by dasein668 »

D'oh! That does help, thanks Jeff. It might be nice at some point to add the drag and drop functionality, just to round out the useability, but in the meantime this'll do a peach!

It would still be nice if with hops when you replaced it would change the qty based on the alpha acids/IBUs in the recipe, rather than leaving the qty the same, too.

Cheers!
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

dasein668 wrote:It would still be nice if with hops when you replaced it would change the qty based on the alpha acids/IBUs in the recipe, rather than leaving the qty the same, too.
Hadn't thought of that, might be cool :P
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

BeerTools Online

Post by a_daley »

If you leave the window open for a couple of hours without use ***the window remains the same*** so we try and load a recipe from it and it returns the error "Incomplete Malformed Request" in red and all recipes disappear which might give some "non computer geeks" a real fright. It still says I am logged on though. I assume means I have been logged off the server. Would be more user friendly if the message read "you have been logged off due to inactivity using this window."

A way to refresh or update automatically would also be nice - currently if you wish to download recipes and have the window open already go and choose some new recipes you have to log out then log in again to see them on the screen.

If you delete an existing recipe then add it again then try and download it the program tells you in red that you don't have access to it because it belongs to another user. Yet if you log out then log back in again you do.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: BeerTools Online

Post by jeff »

a_daley wrote:If you leave the window open for a couple of hours without use ***the window remains the same*** so we try and load a recipe from it and it returns the error "Incomplete Malformed Request" in red and all recipes disappear which might give some "non computer geeks" a real fright. It still says I am logged on though. I assume means I have been logged off the server. Would be more user friendly if the message read "you have been logged off due to inactivity using this window."

A way to refresh or update automatically would also be nice - currently if you wish to download recipes and have the window open already go and choose some new recipes you have to log out then log in again to see them on the screen.

If you delete an existing recipe then add it again then try and download it the program tells you in red that you don't have access to it because it belongs to another user. Yet if you log out then log back in again you do.
Good thoughts. Thanks for detailing the steps that led up to each problem. That really helps identify what areas need attention. The API really needs a version upgrade to include improvement in the areas that you have mentioned such as: metric units preservation and user friendly status messages.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

New Folders

Post by a_daley »

It would be nice if you could add a cancel button beside the ok button on the new folder screen when one accidentally hits the new folder button by mistake.
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Undo option

Post by a_daley »

Have you ever considered adding an undo option for say the last couple of actions? Especially when playing around with various different hops and types of grains... Personally I would find it very useful...
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Universal Double Click in Folder Contents Window

Post by wottaguy »

I like the idea of double clicking in the Folder Contents Window to open a recipe, and this works good.

However, when I have any recipe open and click on the Styles folder to display the bjcp styles, when I single click on any style, the style setting on the recipe changes to that style. Can we have it change only when double clicked? That way we can browse the style db without changing the desired style in the already open recipe. I find myself browsing the styles db quite often and have in the past mistakenly changed the open recipes' desired style.

Thanks!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common