Feature Requests

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Editable Master DB

Post by just-cj »

jeff wrote:So, for now we ask that you all try to be open minded and forward thinking. Populate your personal ingredient lists, and just give it an honest try. How long can it really take? 15 minutes? We are working on making the process of moving ingredients around even faster, so it will just get easier. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance.
You're welcome :wink: . But, like i reported in the Bugs thread, when I took that 15 minutes -- twice -- to add a bunch of ingredients to the inventory list, they disappeared as soon as I quit BTP. If I have to do that every time I launch BTP, that's going to piss me off! :cry:
mpaniagua wrote:Keep the database fixed Jeff, thats a good thing, but allowing to see the database ingredients info without moving it to the inventory first would be nice.
Deifnitely!!!
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

CJ and The Missing Ingredients...

Post by lathe »

just-cj wrote:But, like i reported in the Bugs thread, when I took that 15 minutes -- twice -- to add a bunch of ingredients to the inventory list, they disappeared as soon as I quit BTP. If I have to do that every time I launch BTP, that's going to piss me off! :cry:
Agreed that would be frustrating. It appears this issue is isolated to you so far. We may need a little more information to go on. Did you install the application as you usually do? When you go to your user /Library/Application Support/Beertools Pro/
what do you see in the folder?
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Jeff,

Can you make the search a universal search rather than having to bounce back and forth between the master list and our own personal lists?? Wading through ingredients goes away with the search, but bouncing around sure is a pain.

I'd also like to see a multiple delete feature. One at time is frustrating.

I can now see where you are going with the master list. I know the upload recipe would be an awesome addition.

Keep it up.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: CJ and The Missing Ingredients...

Post by just-cj »

lathe wrote:Agreed that would be frustrating. It appears this issue is isolated to you so far. We may need a little more information to go on. Did you install the application as you usually do? When you go to your user /Library/Application Support/Beertools Pro/
what do you see in the folder?
I went ahead and deleted everything in site related to BTP 1.1, reinstalled (the newer update, actually), and now everything seems to be working fine. Except that now whenever I quit, I get a message that the Recent Items menu couldn't be updated. Not a biggie, though.
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

cj,

I wasn't able to recreate your missing ingredients. Added a couple items no problem to my inventory DB.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

jawbox wrote:cj,

I wasn't able to recreate your missing ingredients. Added a couple items no problem to my inventory DB.
I deleted the program and reinstalled -- and the inventory problem was solved. Thanks for trying -- something must have goofed up with the original installation. :oops:
Check out Baird Brewing
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:Can you make the search a universal search rather than having to bounce back and forth between the master list and our own personal lists?? Wading through ingredients goes away with the search, but bouncing around sure is a pain.
Possibly. This may work if "My Ingredients" and "Ingredient DB" are placed inside another folder called "Ingredients". Clicking on "Ingredients" would list everything, but there would have to be an easy way to distinguish the two in the list. Clicking on the "My Ingredients" or "Ingredient DB" folders would filter the results accordingly. From an interface standpoint it seems simple, but may prove to be a programming nightmare. I will make a note of it for now.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I think making it possible to Command+click multiple items for copying over to My Ingredients would be a lot easier and more user friendly.
Check out Baird Brewing
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

The search function -- possible easy solution

Post by billvelek »

Been gone for the weekend, so I'm just catching up now.
jeff wrote:
jawbox wrote:Can you make the search a universal search rather than having to bounce back and forth between the master list and our own personal lists?? Wading through ingredients goes away with the search, but bouncing around sure is a pain.
Possibly. This may work if "My Ingredients" and "Ingredient DB" are placed inside another folder called "Ingredients". Clicking on "Ingredients" would list everything, but there would have to be an easy way to distinguish the two in the list. Clicking on the "My Ingredients" or "Ingredient DB" folders would filter the results accordingly. From an interface standpoint it seems simple, but may prove to be a programming nightmare. I will make a note of it for now.
Jeff, couldn't you just program this so that the 'search' field is not cleared when you jump from one folder to another unless and until you double-click within the search field? (Double-click so that you can single-click to edit the query without completely clearing it.) If double-clicking won't work, then perhaps a "Clear" button next to the search field. I realize that this would mean that when you switch to the hops folder it might still be looking for a malt, but the double-click or clear button would fix that easily. And of course, you could also design BTP so that the term would survive switching to just certain folders; e.g., mineral salts would only survive switching between the two salt folders (ingredients and inventory), and likewise with hops, but searches for "amber" would survive grains, extracts, and adjuncts.

Besides not having to retype the search term when switching from the main ingredient database and my ingredients, please also consider that I still sometimes look in the wrong folder for something; e.g., looking for "rice raw" in the 'grains' folder when it is actually in the 'adjuncts' folder. Also, for users who do partial mashes, they might want to check both extracts and grains for an item -- especially when planning a recipe before a shopping trip. Frankly, it is easy enough to just retype the search team after it clears when switching folders, but it would still be nice to not have to do that, especially if checking several folders looking for something.

Finally, while on the subject of the search function, it would be really cool to augment that with either a 'favorites' button or a 'recent' searches list, either one of which would allow us to very quickly and easily go, with just a couple of mouse clicks, to our most commonly used ingredients without having to scroll for them or use the keyboard. I prefer using the mouse as much as possible.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Printing of just the inventory

Post by billvelek »

Jeff/Lathe, since I live so far from a LHBS, I don't make that many trips, and when I do I like to 'stock up' a bit. I really like the way you have created the 'Recipe | Shopping List/Inventory' command which shows what purchases are needed for a particular recipe. However, what would be just as useful for me would be to be able to print out my _entire_ inventory when I plan a trip to the LBHS. Clicking on 'My Ingredients' does display the entire inventory, but I can't find a way to print it. When I use the print icon, it prints the recipe rather than my inventory. I have tried highlighting all my ingredients and copying them over to notepad and even my word processor, but it copies a lot of extraneous info that I don't want to print, e.g., the sometimes lengthy "Descriptions" that I don't what on my shopping list, and it's a pain to have to do a lot of editing just to make an inventory list. If you could come up with a 'Print Inventory' command that would list just the name of the item and the quantity on hand, then that would be extremely convenient for me, and I'm sure many other users as well. It doesn't seem like it would be very hard to do.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

Jeff & Lathe,

I'm loving the v1.1.0.4 additions. I mentioned this particular feature request earlier in this thread but I thought I would post again because it got a little buried.

I would really like the ability to be able to select a color formula that suits my brew system instead of relying solely on BTP's default Noonan formula. The additional formulas (that I know of) are below. This feature could be added to the utilization menu or it could be under preferences. Anyhow, I know that similar to hop utilization, many of us have preferred color algorithms as well.

Color formulas:
Morey's Formula
SRM = 1.4922 [(MCU) ^ 0.6859]

Daniels' Formula
SRM = (MCU * 0.2) + 8.4

Mosher's Formula
SRM = (MCU * 0.3) + 4.7

where MCU (malt color units) is the weight of the ingredient in pounds times its color rating (in degrees L) divided by batch size, i.e., 'final volume' in BeerTools Pro (in gallons).

---
Cheers and keep up the good work!
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Color formulas

Post by jeff »

TCBrewguy,

I haven't forgotten about the color formula request. You're asking for something that relates to a very big idea that I have been giving a lot of thought to over the past week. To be honest, ideas come and go, but this one has me captivated and I don't think it's going away. If it works out, there will be no end to what BTP can do.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Color formulas

Post by TCBrewguy »

jeff wrote:TCBrewguy,

I haven't forgotten about the color formula request. You're asking for something that relates to a very big idea that I have been giving a lot of thought to over the past week. To be honest, ideas come and go, but this one has me captivated and I don't think it's going away. If it works out, there will be no end to what BTP can do.
Cool...thanks for the reply, Jeff. I can't wait to see how this "very big idea" unfolds!
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Proxy Support

Post by Push Eject »

When I tried to connect to "My Beertools..." nothing happened - then I realized here at work we connect to the internet through a proxy server.

Can I make BTP "aware" of that path?

Cheers,
Charlie
500mhz G3 iBook 384mg 10.3.9
2x1ghz G4 1g 10.4.10
2x2ghz G5 2g 10.4.10
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Schedule Steps in the Database...?

Post by Push Eject »

Getting used to the new look and feel. I like it.

I found myself reaching to the left database pane when it was time to put a mash schedule together. Am I crazy? What do you guys think of that idea?

Just like dragging in a grain how about dragging in a step or even a whole schedule?

Cheers,
Charlie
500mhz G3 iBook 384mg 10.3.9
2x1ghz G4 1g 10.4.10
2x2ghz G5 2g 10.4.10