Feature Requests

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

weird now my yeast numbers are showing up!

Thanks Jeff, that worked. Would be easier if btp knew once I change the cost of the item to each that the measurement would match in the recipe.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'd like to:
1. specify target OG
2. specify percentage of each of my grains/fermentables
3. have BTP tell me how many (kilo)grams of each to use, based on each grain/fermentable's contribution to the OG (not based just on weight)

Likewise:
1. specify the target IBUs
2. specify hop, alpha, and boil time
3. have BTP tell me how much I have to add

I can't find any way to do these right now.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I'm not sure I like the unchangeable database either. I can't double click on an ingredient to read the full description and see the numbers -- to view that info, I need to add it to my inventory and then double click on it. I can kind of understand that you don't want it to be changeable, but when, for example, I find a mistake in the original database, there's nothing I can do except report it to you and hope that you remember to correct it in the next release. If the database was perfect, and if grain specs never changed, fine. But, grain specs change yearly -- I'd much rather be able to do the correction on the "master" like we could before.
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Changing recipe values

Post by billvelek »

First, let me add my comment that I also liked the ability to change the master database and would prefer to have that option as we did with the previous version, but if there is some programming problems with that, I can live with it like it is.

My main suggestion at this point is that you should find a way to allow us to adjust ingredient quantities with our mouse -- either with up and down arrows as before, or a drag-function like we had before (click on an arrow and move the mouse up or down to adjust quantity). As an alternative, being able to raise or lower the quantity with the up or down cursor keys would work, too. I just don't want to have to type "7" -- wait that hasn't increased it enough -- "8" -- no that's not enough either -- "9" -- wait that's too much, so let's go back to "8". Too much typing, and the old method worked great. Just my two-cents. If it's too difficult to put the up and down arrows next to each ingredient (I imagine it would be), then why not have one single universal quantity field -- with arrows -- above the ingredient panel, between the "Lock" button for Final Volume, and the drop-down menu to select Displays? Whatever ingredient is highlighted at the time would have it's values in that field for easy changes.

I'd also like to suggest either a right-click mouse drop-down menu or else a drop-down menu activated by an arrow such as you have for "Stage" -- that would appear in the quantity field to make it easier to convert from one unit to another without having to type an abbreviation. Maybe it could be put with the 'universal' quantity field that I've just suggested, previous paragraph. I really like the ease of switching from pounds to ounces, etc., that we have currently with v.1.0, and it would be a shame to lose that.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Add a "Date" field to the Hop Editor

Post by billvelek »

Although I've never seen the other programs (ProMash, etc.), it is my understanding that one or more of them have a 'Hops Degradation" function built into it that considers the age of hops, so I don't know if that is something that you can or will consider implementing, but even if you don't, I'd like a "Date" field added for my Hops Inventory so that I can keep track of how old they're getting.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Add a "Date" field to the Hop Editor

Post by just-cj »

billvelek wrote:...but even if you don't, I'd like a "Date" field added for my Hops Inventory so that I can keep track of how old they're getting.
Definitely!
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

jawbox wrote:Thanks Jeff, that worked. Would be easier if btp knew once I change the cost of the item to each that the measurement would match in the recipe.
Yes, this would be nice instead of having to guess at the abbreviations of all the different types of measurements. I can see that being confusing for a new user.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

And add a "Date" field for the yeast, too

Post by billvelek »

billvelek wrote:snip ... I'd like a "Date" field added for my Hops Inventory so that I can keep track of how old they're getting.
And for that matter, a date field for the yeast inventory would be useful, too; I just recently had a hell of a time building an old vial of White Labs into a starter, no doubt because I let it get too old.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

I know there has been a little chatter about the unchangeable ingredient database. I would really like to be able to edit some of the ingredients in that database because I I don't keep an inventory. If you want the ingredient database to remain intact, why not just add a feature to restore default ingredient info (probably on an individual ingredient basis)? Then those who would like to edit their ingredients in that database can do so and the original information is always there if needed.

Also, it would be nice to be able to select multiple ingredients by hitting shift-click and ctrl-click.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

TCBrewguy wrote:snip ... If you want the ingredient database to remain intact, why not just add a feature to restore default ingredient info (probably on an individual ingredient basis)? Then those who would like to edit their ingredients in that database can do so and the original information is always there if needed. ... snip
I think that that is an EXCELLENT idea!!!

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

i'd second that tcb.

Isn't there anyway of having btp just add new ingredients to the master database when new releases are made, or at least giving us the option to overwrite existing info?
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Editable Master DB

Post by jeff »

You may want to move onto another topic, because the master DB is going to stay the way it is for now. Here is why:

There are 1,010 ingredients in the master list. Do you really need all of them? Not likely. Move the ingredients that you personally use to your inventory (now called "My Ingredients"). Make whatever changes you need to make to your local set of ingredients, and use these in your recipes.

Customers have taken issue with the fact that there are way too many ingredients to have to go searching through. The new method allows the user to focus on just the ingredients they typically use and occasionally go wading through the master list if they need to add something else. Initial setup of your personal list may take a few minutes in the beginning, but will save time in the long run.

Here is another issue that perhaps you have not thought of. The master list is going to be synchronized with the ingredient database on BeerTools.com. Keeping these two databases synchronized will allow us to develop the capability for BTP to upload recipes to the site.

So, for now we ask that you all try to be open minded and forward thinking. Populate your personal ingredient lists, and just give it an honest try. How long can it really take? 15 minutes? We are working on making the process of moving ingredients around even faster, so it will just get easier. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Editable Master DB

Post by TCBrewguy »

jeff wrote:So, for now we ask that you all try to be open minded and forward thinking. Populate your personal ingredient lists, and just give it an honest try. How long can it really take? 15 minutes? We are working on making the process of moving ingredients around even faster, so it will just get easier. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance.
I see your point, Jeff. And I understand that you guys want to maximize the ability for BTP to synchronize with the website. So, leaving the editable database issue alone, I still recommend adding a multiple ingredient selection option with ctrl-click or shift-click. There were a ton of ingredients in my inventory when I first loaded the app (that I didn't put there) and it took at least 15 minutes to go through and individually remove them. A simple multiple select (or even select all) could have taken care of that in less than 5 seconds. Also, making the delete key active for deleting ingredients from both the database and the recipe pane would be most helpful. I'm willing to keep an open mind about most things.
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

You may want to move onto another topic, because the master DB is going to stay the way it is for now. Here is why: ...

I agree with you completly on your reasons Jeff. I really like the idea of an ingredients list that you can't mess with, so you know it is "clean".

I just want to point one issue I experienced a few secons ago. There are a total of 10 listings for roasted barley on the db. I don't know the supplier of the roasted barley I use, but I know the lovibond color. To know which roasted barley is closer to the one I use, I need to add the ten listings to the inventory and the check each one to see which is closer? Seems a little bit of work if you think the software is there to help you out.

Keep the database fixed Jeff, thats a good thing, but allowing to see the database ingredients info without moving it to the inventory first would be nice.

Excellent work people...

Marcelo
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

To know which roasted barley is closer to the one I use, I need to add the ten listings to the inventory and the check each one to see which is closer?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
|| Status: Recorded ||
--------------------------
|| Note: Researching ||
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

also consider that you can't select multiple items to move to the inventory. Would be nice feature (multiple items selection).

Marcelo