Feature Requests Archive A

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Edit Ingredients list

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:
PieOPah wrote:
slothrob wrote: What I'd like to be able to do is to click on a given ingredient, select a different ingredient, and have the ingredient change while keeping the weight and times.
I assume you mean replace a selected ingredient with another? That would be quite useful
Yes, that's what I mean.
I'll second that; I think it would be very useful.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I'd like to see weights displayed in Lbs and Ozs rather than decimal equivalents.

later,
jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I'll second that -- as a lower priority update

Post by billvelek »

Yes, that would be a little more convenient, but the usefulness/convenience/need for that feature, in my opinion, needs to be low priority, i.e., let's get the bugs worked out first. I'm sure you'll agree ... and then once everything is working well, I feel that your suggestion will definitely "polish" the program. Meanwhile, I'd just quickly consider .1 pounds to be 2 ounces -- which is admittedly pretty rough -- but if you're talking about grains, it probably won't be a significant difference. I'd imagine that hops are always measure in ounces rather than decimal-pounds, but haven't looked at the program to check. They NEED to be in ounces, or grams, obviously.

Now, I've got to go work on my sewer line.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Last edited by billvelek on Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beer Snob
Light Lager
Light Lager

Style tics

Post by Beer Snob »

Just wanted to make sure this feature was not lost.

When exporting text I think it is real good that the style tics are there as several people have said it is a feature that is unique. It would be nice if in the export that it came out something like the program where you can clearly see the style and how the recipe either stayed in it or deviated from it. Right now it is hard to determine from the export (actually you can't determine this).

I really have leanred a lot about beer ingrediants and how an ingrediant changes things by this particular feature.
KenBoy

Post by KenBoy »

Didn't see these asked elsewhere and haven't spotted how to do it in BTP so...

I had a brew session yesterday and noticed the following enhancements to the recipe/session printout would help me.

I'd like to see the chemical compound names printed alongside their common names for any mineral salts that appear in the water section on recipe printouts.

It would mean less likelihood of a serious mistake for those of us that have an LHBS that only label their mineral salts with their chemical compound names :)

e.g. 20.0g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) and so on...

I'd also like to see the saccharification rest temp (e.g. 67C) printed in the relevant section of the schedule or maybe plotted on the graph at each step transition? Either way would help me out.

Other than that, I found the recipe printout spot on.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:What I'd like to be able to do is to click on a given ingredient, select a different ingredient, and have the ingredient change while keeping the weight and times.
This is now possible. First, select the ingredient you want to replace in the list. While the ingredient is selected, open the ingredient browser and select the list of the same ingredient type. Select the replacement ingredient, and the 'Replace' button should become active at the bottom of the window. Click the button and the ingredient previously selected in the recipe will change while maintaining quantity values.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Export/Import Ingredient DB?

Post by djavet »

Hello

It is possible to add a import/export Ingredient DB to backup it?

Regards, Dom
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

jeff wrote: This is now possible. First, select the ingredient you want to replace in the list. While the ingredient is selected, open the ingredient browser and select the list of the same ingredient type. Select the replacement ingredient, and the 'Replace' button should become active at the bottom of the window. Click the button and the ingredient previously selected in the recipe will change while maintaining quantity values.
Brilliant! This one will make recipe development easier and save me some real time!

At the moment I'm looking for the feature that will tell me why my last recipe turned out so lousy...
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Jeff/Lathe,

I know I have metioned it a few times now with no response. Here it is again

1) Could you make the evaporation/hour a lockable field. Per previous posts anytime you change the volume or the length of boil it recalcs the evaporation rate rather than the evaporation loss.

2) Could you make a database for the vessels & heat sources. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would find this more convenient. Also the database could hold just about any mash tun etc without the need to keep multiple template files. Another plus would be for new people coming to the program having a existing database preloaded with commonly used mash tuns (Gott, Rubermaid, Coleman).

Thanks,
Jaw
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Request - 'most recently opened files' list

Post by billvelek »

Yesterday I had several sessions opened, including one that really didn't matter which I guess was the last one that I closed. Anyway, starting up today, when I went to 'Open', it took me to the folder for that one particular session-file, but the one I really wanted to find was in another folder and it took me awhile to find it. Now, I also went to my WindowsXP 'Start' Panel and looked in the list of 'My Recent Documents', but I guess Windows isn't set-up to list '.btp' files, unless there is something that you can do on your end. It lists files from notepad, wordpad, paint, netscape composer, and my wordprocessor, ... but nothing from BTP. If fixing that is beyond your control, could you add a list of the most recently opened files (sessions) under the 'File' drop-down menu of your menu-bar. For instance, my wordprocessor shows the last nine docs I worked on, Paint shows the last four, and Netscape Composer shows the last ten (under 'Recent Pages'). That would be a VERY handy feature, in my opinion, especially if something takes me away from the program for a few days, and then I probably wouldn't remember what I was working on last. I hope you can implement this feature when you have the time.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

glad i'm on a mac bill. my recent documents show all my recent documents including btp.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Maybe there is a setting on my PC for file types ...

Post by billvelek »

jawbox wrote:glad i'm on a mac bill. my recent documents show all my recent documents including btp.
I checked for a few minutes and couldn't find any place to set file types for display in 'my recent docs'; if anyone has a PC and knows that this can be done, your help will be appreciated.

I still have a LONG way to go to get this program all figured out, but I really like it so far. I'm looking forward to really giving it a run this weekend, if I can manage the time to brew.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
nifty

Copy ingredients in ingredient browser

Post by nifty »

How about being able to clone or copy an ingredient in the ingredient browser ??

I often have several packets of the same hop but with different alpha acid %. Instead of having to create a new item for each ingredient, it would be a lot easier to copy a current item and then change the relevant fields, and if I make a mistake, I don't screw up the original.

Thanks

nifty
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I believe that if you add an ingredient, then hit Edit, you will change the ingredient in that recipe without changing the original database, correct me if I'm wrong. It seems that when I've done this, then gone back to the database, the default %AA is still there. I don't create new items just to use a hop with a different %aa.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mpaniagua
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mpaniagua »

Last week I brew with the help of Beertools. Quite useful in many way. My main suggestion would be to add a better logging system. I had to write my notes, starting gravity,etc. in another program, because I didn't found something useful to do it on Beertools pro. I only found a "Note" tab where I could write comments but doesn't help much, because is very small and have to scroll a lot to read what you wrote. It think it would be more useful if it could be displayed in a floating window. It would be useful to be able to log the fermentation progress. All in all a very useful program. Keep the good work.