Feature Requests Archive A

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

That depends.

Post by billvelek »

just-cj wrote:What are you doing talking on the phone when you're brewing! That's worse answering the phone during sex!!! :shock: :wink:
Well, ... some folks HAVE sex on the phone. :mrgreen:

Seriously, it BlackPoint doesn't have a convenient timer on the stove or microwave or something like that, I'd recommend purchasing one of those very inexpensive digital kitchen timers that beep when they get to zero. I have two of them (West Bend from Walmart, IIRC), and they and the batteries last forever.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
Aristoi

Re: Timer

Post by Aristoi »

BlackPoint wrote:I dunno if this has been requested but it would be nice if there was a built in timer where you could specify the specific intervals on when to do next on brew day and have it count down for you.
That would be very cool indeed! Also if it could have a popup window as a reminder with an audible ding or alarm (similar to outlook or notes when you have a meeting scheduled) to display the step details and amounts you need to add that would be fantastic.
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Timer

Post by a_daley »

Have to agree Aristoi, ideal if you are often brewing lots different types of recipes
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What have you folks been doing before BTP???

Post by billvelek »

This "timer" thing has been suggested several times now, not just recently, but some time ago. Frankly, I'm waiting for an inventory feature that I think would be a whole lot better, but since folks keep asking for this "timer", I have to wonder: what have you been doing before BTP? I've been using a couple of cheap digital timers that I've had for MANY years now; I don't think they cost more than a few bucks each. I set it, clip it to my pocket, and I can hear it whether I'm outside or in the bathroom. Unless you're using a lap top, is your computer really all that convenient to where you are brewing? I can sit at my computer if I want, too, and my timer is still in my pocket. I just don't get it. BTP allows a printout of the recipe, with hop additions and the mash schedule. A simple pen to use to check off items, a digital timer, and it's a "done deal". I just don't see it as all that complicated, but then I brewed for over ten years before ever buying brewing software. Maybe that's it. By the way, what are you going to do if your computer crashes or power goes out in the middle of your brewing session?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

For me, I just record times in my brew log and check things off that way by looking at my digital watch. For hop times and other additions, as soon as my boil starts, I write the times that I need to do something and when that time comes, I do it. I rarely miss something, but even missing something is a good thing -- it's all part of the art of homebrewing.

Personally, I don't keep my computer in my "brewery" (otherwise known as my kitchen), so I wouldn't use a timer much, if at all. The inventory feature, however, is something that I'd use all the time.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Bill,

i think you'll find some people trying/buying beertools have been users of beersmith prior, myself being one of them. I know thats the one big thing I miss from beersmith is the brewday report to keep me on track. Yes it something you can print out so no worries on the computer crashing or having to run back and forth between your equipment and a computer. Timers would be nice for those with laptops but I'd realy like to see something along the lines of the brewday report.

Later,
jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

btp is the first brewing software i have used

Post by warthog »

hey bill,
as you know i have also been pushing for the timer feature.

prior to btp, and now, i keep a log of my brew day. i hope to ditch my lab notebook, and keep it all on my pc.

for me, in the old days (bc - before children). i could brew, listen to car-talk, wait wait don't tell me, what d'ya know, etc., as i brewed. i'd sit there doodling in my lab book, as i felt that it was getting close to the next step, i'd look at my book (i would figure out the time of the next step, at the completion of the previous step), check the time, and go. i always prep the next step right away, so that its ready when i need it (weighed and in bags, make sure thermometer or hydrometer is sanitized etc). when my son was born ~7 1/2 years ago, i quit brewing for a while. i got back into it after moving to utah (goes without saying). now i have 2 kids. on brew days the wife says "oh good! you'll be home all day, mind watching the kids?, thanks, bye" and goes shopping or whatever.

now i must multi-task or drink 3.2% beer. i am looking to make my brew day require less of my attention. if the timings are already there, i don't need to enter them, i don't need to figure the next one out (it can all be done when i formulate a recipe late at night). i just hear the 'ding' rush into the kitchen, toss in a bag of hops, and run back out, change a diaper, then play some more lego.

easy.

my son will help, but he doesn't have the patience for a 7+ hour brewday, no matter how good spent grains with syrup is.
PC 2.6ghz cel, XPpro,2gbRAM, 1920x1200
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Timers..print outs etc..

Post by wottaguy »

I think that the real question is that of the flexibility of the software to assist the brewing style of the poor homebrewer.
Every homebrewer I have ever known, has their own style of brewing that is unique and related to the equipment used.
I feel that by adding certain features such as Timers and on screen alerts, printed Brewday Reports (which gets my vote), and any other kind of feature that would enhance the brewers brew day, should be included in the software as maybe a system configuration option. If you don't want to use the option, then turn it off.
I guess what I'm saying is that I'm for any and all additional features that would help and enhance the brew day.
Now....who has that phone sex number??? Would that be included too?? LOL!!

Thanks for putting up me!
Ron S
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Bierbelly

Post by Bierbelly »

If possible can a converter to convert from all-grain to extract and from extract to all grain be added to the program.

Bierbelly
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Additional Stage - Bottling/Kegging

Post by Bob57702 »

Could "Bottling/Kegging" be added to the stage dropdown menu for adjuncts such as flavoring extracts or maybe even dextrose?
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
BALuke

Cut and Paste in Notes

Post by BALuke »

I'm sure this has been mentioned in prior posts, but I'm not going to dig through a semi-mountian of writing to find it...but, I have quite a few beer recipes in Word, text, and other file formats and would like NOT to have to retype the steps/directions in the process of the brewing and other notes in the NOTES tab at the bottom of the fields.

Why is the 'Cut & Paste' feature of computers disabled in the BeerTools Pro software??? This is a feature that would really make sense to a lot of us that have been around for a few years and have a few database/DOC files of recipes.

Can we have this feature enabled in the next upgrade?!?!?!?

Thanks...BTW, the BeerTools Pro software IS one of the best I've ever used and additional features would probably put it over the top.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Dilution tool please. I can't find one right now, would be nice for the extract brewers who only do partial boils.

jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: Cut and Paste in Notes

Post by Bob57702 »

If you're using a PC have you tried the shortcut keys? Use crtl-V to paste, crtl-X to cut, and crtl-C to copy. While the right mouse button doesn't work these key combos still function although the mouse button would be easier.
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
BALuke

Cut & Paste

Post by BALuke »

Man...Bob,

You're the man, I'd say you walk on water, but we all know only one man did that. If you were here, I share a case of my, still aging, ready in early May, Miabock with you. No, what the heck...I'd give it all to you, fun sharing though.

You have saved me some countless hours from having to type all the directions, notes, logs, journals, etc., THANKS!!

Bruce
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: Cut & Paste

Post by Bob57702 »

So just where in Montana are you? Maybe there's a roadtrip is in the future... :wink: Just kidding...thanks for the offer though.
Bob