Feature Requests Archive A

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Feature Requests Archive A

Post by lathe »

Please post feature requests to this topic.

Thanks!
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
barleypopmaker
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by barleypopmaker »

I have a minor convenience suggestion for saving your files. It would be nice if there was a section in preferences tab where you could select the default folder you would like to save the recipes in. I like to save all my recipes in a different folder than the my documents folder and instead of having to change it each session, if there was a folder I could set up the beer tools would always automaticly save it into a specified folder that would be great.
-Jason

Beta testing on an older Dell latitude c610 Laptop
Windows XP Professional SP2
Pentium III
256 RAM
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Evaporation Rate

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I would like to have the ability to change the evaporation rate from percent per hour to gallons per hour. I think most of us brew on just one system and our evaporation rate is fairly constant. In other words, if a system looses one gallon per hour to evaporation the loss will be the same regardless of batch size. That's not true using percentages. So by allowing evaporation rate to be set to gal/hr we could set it as a default and forget about it. At least we should have the option to choose.
etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Multiple windows

Post by etbandit »

I would be very convenient if the "Style, Analysis, Schedule, carbonation and Notes" tabs could ALL be opened at the same time in separate windows so that we can view updates simultaneously for each, rather than going to each tabe one at a time.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Refractometer

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

It would be nice to have a utility for using a refractometer in future versions.
tjthresh

Re: Refractometer

Post by tjthresh »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:It would be nice to have a utility for using a refractometer in future versions.
Yes!!! This would be great.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:It would be nice to have a utility for using a refractometer in future versions.
Not sure if it suits your needs by you might benefit from Window->Calculators->S.G.->Refractometer
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Dude
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Evaporation Rate

Post by Dude »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:I would like to have the ability to change the evaporation rate from percent per hour to gallons per hour. I think most of us brew on just one system and our evaporation rate is fairly constant. In other words, if a system looses one gallon per hour to evaporation the loss will be the same regardless of batch size. That's not true using percentages. So by allowing evaporation rate to be set to gal/hr we could set it as a default and forget about it. At least we should have the option to choose.
I second this. :wink:
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

jeff wrote:
Not sure if it suits your needs by you might benefit from Window->Calculators->S.G.->Refractometer
OOPS! Guess I missed that. :oops: Thanks, Jeff. That should fill the bill quite nicely.
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

saving recipes in html format?

Post by notbob »

I think lots of us would like to see the ability to save a file in html format so we can post them on the discussion boards.

Thanks! Great job so far!

Al
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Feature Requests

Post by billvelek »

This will probably seem pretty minor, but with many new programs I like to make a hardcopy of the users guide so that I can take it with me to read when I have spare time; I also just prefer to have a hardcopy open next to me when I'm looking at the program screen, rather than jumping back and forth or having to split the screen. While you do have a print function in your user guide, it will only print one page at a time, many of which consist of just a single sentence or paragraph, which makes for a very unnecessarily bulky hardcopy, wasting lots of paper, and with no index or page numbers. I would prefer a consolidated guide with an index, whether in simple text format or as a .pdf file. This would be extremely easy to do. I figured I'd create my own by just copying and pasting each page into a larger document, but your program has disabled (why?) the right and left mouse buttons when mousing over the text, so even that is not possible. Heck, if I have a question about some language in your user guide that I want to discuss in the forums, I'd much rather be able to copy and paste it rather than have to type it all out.

Just my two cents. Still looking things over, so I'll probably be back with more comments.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
www.velek.com
www.2plus2is4.com
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:This will probably seem pretty minor, but with many new programs I like to make a hardcopy of the users guide so that I can take it with me to read when I have spare time; I also just prefer to have a hardcopy open next to me when I'm looking at the program screen, rather than jumping back and forth or having to split the screen. While you do have a print function in your user guide, it will only print one page at a time, many of which consist of just a single sentence or paragraph, which makes for a very unnecessarily bulky hardcopy, wasting lots of paper, and with no index or page numbers. I would prefer a consolidated guide with an index, whether in simple text format or as a .pdf file. This would be extremely easy to do. I figured I'd create my own by just copying and pasting each page into a larger document, but your program has disabled (why?) the right and left mouse buttons when mousing over the text, so even that is not possible. Heck, if I have a question about some language in your user guide that I want to discuss in the forums, I'd much rather be able to copy and paste it rather than have to type it all out.
A PDF version of help will be produced and distributed with BeerTools Pro. I may not always print help docs but I do like to be able to browse them using the PDF reader of my own preference. Would be nice to see screenshots in the documentation too. Thanks for the feedback!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

When building a Batch Sparge Schedule, I Edit an Infusion step, setting my desired Addition Volume and Addition Temp. It's nice to see these change as I decide what I want to use, but the Residual Volume changes as well.

I think we need a lock box to freeze the Residual Voulme to what we want (the void volume, in my case). This way if we set our Addition Volume or Runoff Volume, only the Addition Temp. will change, or, if Addition Temp. is limiting, we can set that and see what Addition Volume is required.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Good idea

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:When building a Batch Sparge Schedule, I Edit an Infusion step, setting my desired Addition Volume and Addition Temp. It's nice to see these change as I decide what I want to use, but the Residual Volume changes as well.

I think we need a lock box to freeze the Residual Voulme to what we want (the void volume, in my case). This way if we set our Addition Volume or Runoff Volume, only the Addition Temp. will change, or, if Addition Temp. is limiting, we can set that and see what Addition Volume is required.
I can see how that would be useful, I will make a note of it. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

lathe wrote:Please post feature requests to this topic.
Today you announced a new version; I went to my program to check to see whether I had that current version, considering that I had just downloaded it yesterday, and could find no way to determine what version I have. In other program, when I click on "Help" on the menu bar, there is always a selection such as "About Netscape", or "About WordPerfect", etc., that opens a pop-up window with information identifying the version that is running. I'd like to suggest that you eventually incorporate that feature. In addition, I'd like to ask for an automatic update feature so that it isn't necessary to visit the forums to download updates, especially if they are fixing bugs.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
www.velek.com
www.2plus2is4.com