Volume Tab - Kettle Volume Calculation

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
braz24

Volume Tab - Kettle Volume Calculation

Post by braz24 »

This seems pretty simple to me but I can't figure it out. I'm using BTP 2 and have a question on the Volumes tab.

I have entered my 'Final Volume' as 12 gallons, set my 'Evap./Hour' at 1.5 gallons and it automatically sets my 'Kettle Volume' at 14 gallons. Now I don't claim to be a math scholar but shouldn't the Kettle Volume calculate to 13.5 gallons??? My Boil Duration is set to 1 hour and there is no water being added.

What is BTP doing/using to calculate the Kettle Volume???
slothrob

Re: Volume Tab - Kettle Volume Calculation

Post by slothrob »

What you are probably seeing is the correction for volume change due to temperature. This correction is made if you have BTP set up with Final Volume@68°F and, Kettle Volume@212F, since you will lose 4% of the volume cooling from 212 to 68°F.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
braz24

Post by braz24 »

That's exactly it! Thank you. Is there anywhere within BTP where the evaporation from cooling is specified?
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Sorry, there isn't a specification, because the volume loss isn't due to evaporation. The volume changes because wort (or water) changes volume as it changes temperature. If you want 13.5 gallons at the end of cooling, you need 14 gallons at the end of the boil, without any evaporation.

If it is more useful for you to see the Final Volume at boiling temperature, you can click on the temperature to the left of the Final Volume field.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP