Mash in volumes

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Crusty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Mash in volumes

Post by Crusty »

Thanks for the explanation Jeff.
I usually jut brew 20L batches these days so hopefully it should look like this.
1. Final volume @20degC would be 24.0L. This is accounting for 4.0L left behind when transferring to my primary fermenter.
2. Mash in editor, select Braumeister as my mash vessel noting I have now set dead space to 0.0L because I will set a negative value in my volume adjustment for my transfer loss.
3. Volume adjustment set to minus 4.0L ( -4.0L ) which is my transfer loss. On this tab page, I now have a net volume of 20.0L even though my main page final volume @20degC is 24.0L.
I'm on the right track?
My boil off rate was also set too high yesterday giving me extra wort at a lower gravity than expected. I did achieve my mash SG @1.035 pre boil. Gravity after the boil should have been 1.048 but I got 1.041. My kettle volume preboil was too high as well so I think the above is looking much more in line with what I should have achieved yesterday.
The Electric Brewery, 3 Vessel, 30A
Crusty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Mash in volumes

Post by Crusty »

slothrob wrote:
slothrob wrote:
Crusty wrote:For this American Premium Lager
OG 1048
FG 1012
4.67%
20.7 IBU

Grain bill weight 4Kg Pale Malt + 1Kg Rice
Mash in volume 32L ( 6.4L/Kg )
Boil off 9.0L ( 90min boil )
Final volume @20degC 24L
Volume adjustment -4.0L ( Trub in Braumeister after draining to fermenter )
Batch sparge volume 9.58L ( 33.48L in the in vessel column )
I'm only getting ~5.5 L sparge volume, but if the Braumeister has a 4 L dead volume (as it appears to have from the 4 L trub volume after the boil), then ~9.5 L would make sense.
In reference to the concepts of kettle dead space and volume adjustments not affecting Kettle Volume, I should make clear that this difference would only be applied if the Braumeister was set as the mash vessel and that was set as having a 4 L dead volume. That volume would be added to the total water needed to hit the kettle volume, because it wouldn't normally make it out of the mash run and into the kettle.

In the case of the Braumeister, where the mash vessel is the kettle, and I assume you collect all the non-absorbed mash liquor, be sure you don't have a dead volume of 4 L set for your mash vessel. Otherwise, you will end up with 4 L too much in the kettle.
This is why I ended up with extra wort yesterday. I had my dead space set to 4.0L & my mash vessel is my boil kettle. I have now set my final volume @20degC on the main page to 24.0L, set my dead space for the BM to 0.0L & set my volume adjustment to -4.0L which will be left in my BM after the boil. My net volume is now 20.0L on the volume adjustment tab page.
The Electric Brewery, 3 Vessel, 30A