Creating a Recipe

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
moophone

Creating a Recipe

Post by moophone »

Just installed the trial. I'm a beersmith user who uses OSX, and getting tired of the antiquated UI so looking for new options. I have some usability questions.

I am creating a recipe, but I'm not sure how to add grains. If I option-click new grain, it seems to want to add a new grain to the grain database rather than add a grain to the recipe.

So next, the only way I could see to do it was click grains in the tree on the left and expand the list.. then scroll down to find the grain and drag and drop into the recipe panel.. this is a lot of steps (!) and makes creating a recipe a very long process.

Intuitively, I want to be able to cmd+F or have a search field somewhere that I can type "pils" and have it auto-filter so I can find "pilsner malt" quickly like a spotlight search.

Is there a better way than all these steps above?

Cheers,
Greg
slothrob

Re: Creating a Recipe

Post by slothrob »

moophone wrote: So next, the only way I could see to do it was click grains in the tree on the left and expand the list.. then scroll down to find the grain and drag and drop into the recipe panel.. this is a lot of steps (!) and makes creating a recipe a very long process.
This is greatly simplified by populating My Ingredients with those that you use regularly. Then, the scrolling process is either removed or substantially reduced.
Command (right)-clicking the ingredient also allows you to move the ingredient to the recipe, if you prefer to avoid dragging.
moophone wrote:Intuitively, I want to be able to cmd+F or have a search field somewhere that I can type "pils" and have it auto-filter so I can find "pilsner malt" quickly like a spotlight search.
This is somewhat possible if you type into the search box with the Ingredients database highlighted. An abbreviated list of ingredients appears, from which you can select. Setting the sort box to Sort by Description tends to move the more appropriate search items to the top of the list.
Again this is greatly improved by populating the My Ingredients database and searching that.
Perhaps this would be more intuitive if the search box was above the ingredients list instead of on the far right of the window.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
moophone

Post by moophone »

Thanks for that info. Is there a list of OSX keyboard shortcuts? The windows ones don't seem to map. Especially to focus that search window at the top-right :)

I'll play around with it some more tonight.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

moophone wrote:Thanks for that info. Is there a list of OSX keyboard shortcuts? The windows ones don't seem to map. Especially to focus that search window at the top-right :)

I'll play around with it some more tonight.
I couldn't find a shortcut to highlight the Search field.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac at the moment, but generally Ctrl- on Windows is Cmd- on Mac and Windows' Alt- is Mac's Option-.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
moophone

Post by moophone »

Actually yeah the ones I tried seem to line up, but it doesn't look like there is a keyboard shortcut for the search area?