Getting Started

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Crazy Brewer

Getting Started

Post by Crazy Brewer »

I almost have my all electric all grain brewing system complete. :D

I downloaded and opened BTP 2.0 and was instantly and completely overwhelmed :oops: This usually doesn't happen to me. I am fairly handy with computers/software. This software doesn't seem to be as user friendly as I am used to, I guess. :oops: I did a search for getting started in this forum and didn't find what I need. I don't know where to start and can't seem to find the information. Actually I do have the first two steps down pat.
1. Turn on computer.
2. Open BTP
3. This is where I am lost.... :oops:

If anyone would be kind enough to guide me, step by step for a few more steps, I would appreciate it. That or please tell me where I can find some step by step instructions, I will be forever grateful.
slothrob

Re: Getting Started

Post by slothrob »

There are some videos on Youtube. Many are for v.1.5, but v.2.0 shares a lot with v.1.5.

You can also check out the BTP Wiki. That was also built to support BTP v1.5, but it will usually point you in the right direction.

Where I would start, would be to fill in the top section with your target volume (Final Volume) and boil-off information, which will tell you how much you need to start your boil with (Kettle Volume). Then, I would fill in the Efficiency tab with your Mash Efficiency and target Attenuation. That information will be used for your recipe calculations.

You will now be set to design recipes for your system by dragging ingredients over from the Ingredients DB. To limit the number of ingredients you need to scroll through, you can add the ingredients you use to the My Ingredients database.

Next, you should look into creating profiles for your equipment and calibrating it. Then learn to set up the Mash Schedule field. I can help you through that when you are ready.

Good luck and ask for whatever help you need.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Crazy Brewer

Post by Crazy Brewer »

8) Thanks slothrob. I assumed that when I selected the beer type I wanted to brew that all the ingredients will automatically load. It's going to be a fun weekend. Hope yours is good as well. Thanks again!
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I think you will find recipe formulation rather intuitive, once you get started, but let me know if you get stuck.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

i think Bobby M may have an older youtube on using BTP too.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

https://youtu.be/wX9xuSQrfEM?list=PL25CB879E3C944388

its for the previous version but most of it should still apply.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Tweezer

Post by Tweezer »

slothrob wrote: You can also check out the BTP Wiki.
There are so many dead links on that Wiki page it is almost not usable. :)