Beer Tools Pro 2.0 and Linux

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Beer Tools Pro 2.0 and Linux

Post by gromitdj »

I've been using Beer Tools Pro for quite a while now and am contemplating a switch to Linux Lubuntu from Windows XP. I purchased an upgrade to 2.0 before realizing it would not work on XP, so I use it at the office. What are my chances of using BTP 2.0 on an older 32 Bit Laptop running Lubuntu?

Any help (or advice) would be appreciated. Also, I'm an absolute newbie at Linux.
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10 64 Bit)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Beer Tools Pro 2.0 and Linux

Post by jeff »

gromitdj wrote:I've been using Beer Tools Pro for quite a while now and am contemplating a switch to Linux Lubuntu from Windows XP. I purchased an upgrade to 2.0 before realizing it would not work on XP, so I use it at the office. What are my chances of using BTP 2.0 on an older 32 Bit Laptop running Lubuntu?
Pretty good. Actually, 32bit is better since you don’t have to jump through any hoops to get it to run. You can make sure by downloading the trial.

Thanks for using BTP!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

Thank You! I was able to install the package and play around in it a little to verify that the install worked. Very simple install, in fact. Since I have previouly purchased version 2.0, is it possible to upgrade to the multi-platform version, or will I need to purchase a separate license for the Linux version?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

gromitdj wrote:Thank You! I was able to install the package and play around in it a little to verify that the install worked. Very simple install, in fact. Since I have previouly purchased version 2.0, is it possible to upgrade to the multi-platform version, or will I need to purchase a separate license for the Linux version?
I’m glad the install went well. 8) Linux requires another license key which can be purchased at a significantly discounted price. I sent details in a private message.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

Thought that I would mention how well the software works on my Linux system. I've been using it since purchasing the key in September and the transition was seamless. I even share recipes between my windows machine and the Linux Machine with no issues.

Thanks again, Jeff!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

That’s great to hear! Thanks for the update, gromitdj.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

jeff wrote:
gromitdj wrote:I've been using Beer Tools Pro for quite a while now and am contemplating a switch to Linux Lubuntu from Windows XP. I purchased an upgrade to 2.0 before realizing it would not work on XP, so I use it at the office. What are my chances of using BTP 2.0 on an older 32 Bit Laptop running Lubuntu?
Pretty good. Actually, 32bit is better since you don’t have to jump through any hoops to get it to run. You can make sure by downloading the trial.

Thanks for using BTP!
@jeff What hoops would be necessary to get it to run on a 64 bit system. I am attempting to install it onto a laptop I've recently acquired to replace my old one and cannot get it to load. It appears to install, but when complete. It appears nothing happened.

I appreciate any help you can provide.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

This solution is not fully tested but it has worked for several Linux customers installing BeerTools Pro on newer 64 bit Linux systems. Using dpkg and apt-get you can install the 32 bit dependencies on a 64 bit Debian based system with the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386
Please let us know how it goes.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
gromitdj
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by gromitdj »

No Dice. Maybe it's my noobness with the Linux OS. I ran the commands you provided in the terminal, then tried to install using the Ubuntu software center and it appears that nothing happened. Should I be trying to install from the terminal somehow?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Edit: Jeff, thanks to some searching, I was able to install the software following some of your directions in another thread. I will continue to use the software and let you know if I run into any issues. Thanks again!