Linux users, which do you prefer? .deb, .rpm or .tgz?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.

Which do you prefer?

.deb
69%
.rpm
17%
.tgz
14%

Total votes: 29

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:Thanks, Jeff. That's very generous of you, and I'd like to take you up on the the offer. A .deb file is preferred, but I'll take what ever is offered. Thanks!
Sent to your comcast address. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
rackaam
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by rackaam »

Hello,

I'm basic member and purchased a Win version in Oct 24 2006 and I use Linux now , Can You sending a link to My Beertools for using a Linux version ?
I use Opensuse 11.3 with RPM packages.
TKS
PS: My username is rackaam
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

rackaam wrote:Hello,

I'm basic member and purchased a Win version in Oct 24 2006 and I use Linux now , Can You sending a link to My Beertools for using a Linux version ?
I use Opensuse 11.3 with RPM packages.
TKS
PS: My username is rackaam
Please send me an email with your request. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawohls

Post by jawohls »

Jeff, obviously the account is now working (had sent you an email directly)

I am very interested in the Linux version (.deb pkg) if still available for testing/purchase (QBrew just doesn't cut it anymore), I put the word out to the two home brew clubs this morning that I am a member of about the potential availability of a natively ran linux distribution. So hopefully I can drum up some more interest
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawohls wrote:Jeff, obviously the account is now working (had sent you an email directly)

I am very interested in the Linux version (.deb pkg) if still available for testing/purchase (QBrew just doesn't cut it anymore), I put the word out to the two home brew clubs this morning that I am a member of about the potential availability of a natively ran linux distribution. So hopefully I can drum up some more interest
I'm glad your forum account is working now. I can set you up with a trial of the Linux version but I need to know what your BeerTools.com username is. I tried finding your account using your email address but nothing turned up.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawohls

Post by jawohls »

jeff wrote:
jawohls wrote:Jeff, obviously the account is now working (had sent you an email directly)

I'm glad your forum account is working now. I can set you up with a trial of the Linux version but I need to know what your BeerTools.com username is. I tried finding your account using your email address but nothing turned up.

Thanks!
I only registered in the forums, so now I have gone back and registered with the main site. There appears to be some syncing issues on the site because after I registered on the main site it wouldn't let log back in on the forums till I got home later, odd.

jawohls is the beertools name,

thanks again.
jawohls

Post by jawohls »

jawohls wrote:
jeff wrote:

Thanks!
I only registered in the forums, so now I have gone back and registered with the main site. There appears to be some syncing issues on the site because after I registered on the main site it wouldn't let log back in on the forums till I got home later, odd.

jawohls is the beertools name,

thanks again.
Just installed it, Thanks you so much, let me play with it for a while and I'll post any findings (if any)

Thanks again
dirtdigr

Re: Free BTP Linux License for Current Customers

Post by dirtdigr »

jeff wrote:If you currently own the Mac or PC version of BeerTools Pro I will issue you a free license for the Linux version if you are a Linux user. The Linux version is not for sale in the store but I will make it available in downloads by request. This version is not officially supported and contains some known issues, but some customers are finding it useful.
Jeff, i am a licensed win user of Beer Tools Pro, & would love a linux version.
stieg

Re: Linux users, which do you prefer? .deb, .rpm or .tgz?

Post by stieg »

jeff wrote:The Linux version of BeerTools Pro still has an issue with drag and drop and it seems that this problem is here to stay. There is a workaround that involves using the RMB. For many users this is completely acceptable and I am considering an official release of BeerTools Pro for Linux.

For those of you interested in the Linux distribution, what type of package file do you prefer? If you are an existing BTP user, are you willing to test and provide feedback on your experience installing the BTP package?

Thanks!
Hey Jeff,

I would be interested in testing out BTP on Fedora 15 for ya if you have an RPM package available. I am currently a licensed user of the Windows version of BTP and have been running it in Wine since I first got it. I have a in-depth Linux background and would be willing to help you debug any packaging issues you have.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

stieg wrote: Hey Jeff,

I would be interested in testing out BTP on Fedora 15 for ya if you have an RPM package available. I am currently a licensed user of the Windows version of BTP and have been running it in Wine since I first got it. I have a in-depth Linux background and would be willing to help you debug any packaging issues you have.
Thanks for the help. I added the .rpm to your downloads. It was created with alien and I have no idea if the install scripts will work on Fedora. Keep me posted.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
stieg

Post by stieg »

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the help. I added the .rpm to your downloads. It was created with alien and I have no idea if the install scripts will work on Fedora. Keep me posted.
Installed the RPM on 64bit Fedora 15 and it seems to work well. No obvious problems to share. I will keep ya posted as I use the program more. Thank you so much for writing a native Linux app. It beats the living crap out of having to rum BTP in Wine.
stieg

RPM for Fedora 16

Post by stieg »

Jeff,
You threw me an RPM for Fedora 15 and it worked quite well. Now I see there is an update and was wondering if you had an RPM of the update I could get a hold of?

Also, do you have a Bugzilla or Trac to track issues with the software or should I use the forums to report any bugs I might find. I have noticed a couple of minor nits but want to see if there are still there after I update the software. Thanks dude.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: RPM for Fedora 16

Post by jeff »

stieg wrote:Jeff,
You threw me an RPM for Fedora 15 and it worked quite well. Now I see there is an update and was wondering if you had an RPM of the update I could get a hold of?
The latest version should always be available in your downloads area. The Linux updates are sometimes delayed a bit, but I verified that 1.5.20 is available.
stieg wrote:Also, do you have a Bugzilla or Trac to track issues with the software or should I use the forums to report any bugs I might find. I have noticed a couple of minor nits but want to see if there are still there after I update the software. Thanks dude.
The bug topic in this forum is where we have been tracking bugs. A bit low tech, I know :roll:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff