Linux users, which do you prefer? .deb, .rpm or .tgz?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.

Which do you prefer?

.deb
69%
.rpm
17%
.tgz
14%

Total votes: 29

zee

Post by zee »

the fact is i don't run windows, so its not a matter of would i like beertools for linux, its the only way i'd ever use beertools.

as i currently run ubuntu, .deb is the most convenient, but realistically if you want to capture the *nix market, you'll want to release in all three.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

zee wrote:as i currently run ubuntu, .deb is the most convenient, but realistically if you want to capture the *nix market, you'll want to release in all three.
Yes, I agree. I already have packages built in all three. The underlying purpose of this topic is to "ping" the market, so to speak, to determine the level of interest in a Linux version of BeerTools Pro. So far we 4 votes and one is my own. For me to devote the time and resources required to maintain a Linux build I need to see a reasonable level of market demand.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
FunnelBrewing

Post by FunnelBrewing »

I'm a Ubuntu user as well so i very selfishly voted for .deb although .tgz would be more universal. I currently use Beer smith running under wine, but if i could get beer nerd software for linux i'd buy that in a flash!
filipelenfers

a linux version

Post by filipelenfers »

Hi, how i can get a linux version? I am using Fedora, so i will need a rpm package.

Thanks,

Filipe.

Curitiba - PR, Brasil.
rackaam
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by rackaam »

I use Opensuse and need .rpm tks
Dale Hair
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dale Hair »

Would love to try it, and most likely purchase it, Thought I would be notified by email since I was a beta tester. Don't have a win or mac machine, just Debian.
AMD 64 X2 4600 - 2G Ram - 20" Samsung 206BW 1680x1050 - NVidia GeForce 6100, shared ram - Debian Lenny - gnome desktop
Dale Hair
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dale Hair »

When might this be available in the store. I will announce it in the beer forums I belong to, there are several interested in a linux app.
AMD 64 X2 4600 - 2G Ram - 20" Samsung 206BW 1680x1050 - NVidia GeForce 6100, shared ram - Debian Lenny - gnome desktop
pascal_moffet

Post by pascal_moffet »

Is it possible to try it? I have not seen any place to download it!

Thx
cpankonien

linux version download

Post by cpankonien »

Hi,
I'd like to download the trial version, i'm using ubuntu 10.04 64 bit. Assuming it works ok, I'd gladly pay for the pro version.

thanks,

cliff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Trial

Post by jeff »

Dale Hair wrote:Would love to try it, and most likely purchase it, Thought I would be notified by email since I was a beta tester. Don't have a win or mac machine, just Debian.
I can place the trial .deb file in your downloads and email you a key. It would be great if you could let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: linux version download

Post by jeff »

cpankonien wrote:Hi,
I'd like to download the trial version, i'm using ubuntu 10.04 64 bit. Assuming it works ok, I'd gladly pay for the pro version.

thanks,

cliff
I can add the trial to your downloads but I need to get your BeerTools username.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Trial

Post by jeff »

pascal_moffet wrote:Is it possible to try it? I have not seen any place to download it!

Thx
Yes, but I need your BeerTools username so I can look up your account.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Dale Hair
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dale Hair »

I need either the 64 bit version or a tarball, and thanks
pascal_moffet

Post by pascal_moffet »

Maybe it's not the best way, but I got it work! You can try this:

"dpkg -i --force-architecture beertoolspro-1.5.10-2.i386.deb"
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

pascal_moffet wrote:Maybe it's not the best way, but I got it work! You can try this:

"dpkg -i --force-architecture beertoolspro-1.5.10-2.i386.deb"
I think that I can fix the roadblock by allowing all architectures in the .deb configuration. Right now it is probably set to allow installation on only 32 bit systems even though it should run on 64 bit. The fact that you got it to work by forcing confirms that assumption.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff