Extract plus Minimash Recipes

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
ecelis

Extract plus Minimash Recipes

Post by ecelis »

Is there a special way to input a malt extract + Minimash recipe into BeerTools?

I wrote in Randy Mosher's Bambi's Best Blonde Ale and the parameters come out way off. The recipe uses a minimash of 1.5 lb pilsner malt + 1.5 lb Munich malt + 1 lb pale crystal malt, and for the boil 5.2 lb extra pale dry extract. At 75% efficiency all values (gravity, color, alcohol, bitterness) are off scale to the right.

I am planning to do a lot of extract+minimash beers and want to know if BeerTools will be useful.

Thanks
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I'll put this on my beertools and get back to you. It could be that Randy's recipe doesn't fit the bjcp guidelines. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. u
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Yes this is off the charts according to the bjcp guidelines.

Original Gravity: 1.065 (1.038 - 1.054)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.008 - 1.013)
Color: 10.97 (3.0 - 6.0)
Alcohol: 6.44% (3.8% - 5.5%)

However, Randy is a very accomplished brewer and would expect that this would be a very good beer.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
ecelis

Post by ecelis »

My main question remains whether BeerTolls will be useful for MiniMashes?
slothrob

Partial mashes and BTP

Post by slothrob »

Yes, BeerTools Pro is very useful for designing partial mash recipes and for determining volumes and temperatures needed for the mashes themselves.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
ecelis

Post by ecelis »

I did other recipes from Mosher's book. and the all come off the chart...

Could you give me an example of a recipe? Would I plug in 75% for efficiency and attenuation?
slothrob

Partial Mash

Post by slothrob »

75% Efficiency is a common efficiency. My first two were 50% and 65%, but with a partial mash you can easily make up a shortfall with some extract if you make sure you have a little extras around.

The attenuation will depend on the yeast you choose, the mash temperature, and the extract brand, but 75% would be reasonable for an attenuative yeast like US-05.

You want to enter the grains and the amount you plan to use. That will give you an expected gravity from your entered efficiency. Then enter your extract and increase the amount entered until you hit your desired gravity. On brewday, take a post-mash gravity reading to determine your actual efficiency then use BTP to calculate how much extract you really need to add.

You can also use BTP to determine the mash water volumes and temperatures by using the Schedule window or the infusion calculator.

Any specific questions or specific recipe style?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP