Hop Utilization Graphs

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Hop Utilization Graphs

Post by billvelek »

I don't visit the hop utilization function very often, and probably never noticed this ... or perhaps I was playing around with the program and managed to screw things up by accident ... but can someone check the graph for the "Fowler Boil Time Formula" and tell me whether your computer shows the graph taking a dip downward after 80 minutes? I might have some how edited my graph, and if so then I have an important suggestion and a comment.

I think that if those graphs are representative of particular formulas developed by various authors -- Rager, Garetz, Mosher, Tinseth, Daniels, and Fowler -- then I don't think that they should be capable of being edited, or AT LEAST have an option to return to their default graph. I think that a _copy_ function might be good if a person wants to customize the graph and save it under their own name of some sort. As for the Fowler graph, if it does show a decline in percentage of utilization at some point ... how is that possible. If the AA has already been extracted, how is it stuffed back into the hops ... or does it evaporate or break down somehow. I just can't understand how the graph can ever move downward, but perhaps that is something that I did. Again, I shouldn't be able to screw it up.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Bill, I checked this out on my pc just now and indeed there is a drop in the Fowler formula. The utilization is at 32@ at 80 minutes and dips down to 30% at around 100 minutes. I also checked the other formulas and they didn't have the drop.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks, Colorado. Jeff???

Post by billvelek »

Thanks for confirming that, Colorado.

Jeff, is there some reason for the decline in utilization, mentioned above? I don't see how that would be possible. Is the graph just off, or is there a glitch in the formula that creates it?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Thanks, Colorado. Jeff???

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:Thanks for confirming that, Colorado.

Jeff, is there some reason for the decline in utilization, mentioned above? I don't see how that would be possible. Is the graph just off, or is there a glitch in the formula that creates it?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
There is no glitch. When I developed the formula, some of my research revealed that degradation of iso-alpha acids occurs in extended boils. There may be differing opinions on this, in which case the other formulas may be used.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks, Jeff. But what about ...

Post by billvelek »

Thanks, Jeff. I didn't know, so I was just asking. What about my idea for somehow protecting those graphs from being changed by accident or whatever. I'm pretty clumsy ... especially if I've had a few homebrews. I'd hate to ruin the graphs ... and worse yet -- change them and not even know that they are not accurate. I think they should be either 'write protected' or the user should have the option of returning them to default values.

Cheers.

Bill Velek