Print Out content missing some key items

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Bobby_M
Light Lager
Light Lager

Print Out content missing some key items

Post by Bobby_M »

First, I'm shocked at how dead this forum is. Are there really that few users?

Anyway, I'm hanging in there on BTP but one major annoyance so far has been the first runnings expected volume data point being missing from the printout. While I'd like to bring the laptop out to the brewery, it can't happen all the time.

Just to clarify, my schedule is Mash In, Sac Rest, Direct Heat to Mashout Temp, Batch Sparge consisting of first runnings prior to infusion, batch infusion, runoff, batch infusion, runoff.

Since I runoff via pump into my kettle, it's pretty important to anticipate the final quart of runoff so I can slow and then kill the pump before it loses prime.

It would be nice to have the "volume collected" data next to any step that includes a separation on the printout. The data is already in the schedule, I just need it carried to the printer.

Bobby
Bobby_M on Homebrewtalk.com
HP DV9200 Laptop, Intel T5500, 2 Gig RAM, Windows Vista, 17" widescreen display at 1440 x 900 and 32 colors.

my youtube vids: www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Low level of interaction

Post by billvelek »

The level of interaction here used to be significantly higher, at least on the alpha or beta testing team forum; but it seems like the low level you see now has been persisting for quite awhile, which is disturbing to me because I fear that it might reflect a low number of BTP users, especially new users who I would expect to see here asking questions, and it also would seem to discourage would be buyers from purchasing the software after the trial period because of what they might perceive as a serious lack of support. This, in turn, doesn't provide much incentive for the developers to fix bugs and/or make improvements -- but even more important than that, and something which I have complained about in the past, is my worry that if Jeff and Lathe ever do toss in the towel (or die in a car accident together) ... that I might eventually have problems installing the software on a replacement computer because of the registration key feature (see more about that below). Anyway, I _hope_ that there have been a number of programs sold for Christmas, and that we will see a sudden surge of posts in the next few days.

I will add that I have been a poster on many brewing forums for many years, although I don't know how my opinions are regarded; but I finally recommended BTP as brewing software on some of them -- something that I was not willing to do until many of BTP's shortcomings were resolved. I hope that this has helped a little.

As for your main concern, I agree with you 100% that the printout needs to contain that additional information; I, too, find myself having to hand copy information from my computer screen onto the printout so it will be more conveniently available to me in the kitchen. There is no excuse for that, because there is plenty of room on the printout. And on a side issue related to printing, I have had a chronic _intermittent_ problem that I have complained about before, and which occurred again during my last brew session: when I print, the second page prints first (normal) and does just fine, but when the first page then prints, it often stops about half way down the page. I have had to repeatedly try to get it to print out completely -- unsuccessfully -- and it seems like the only solution is for me to close BTP and reopen it, reopen the recipe, and print again. That's a pain in the butt. It is NOT a computer problem or a printer problem; I never have problems printing anything else out. I can appreciate the difficulty in isolating the problem when it is intermittent, but I remain hopeful that this will be tracked down and fixed; has anyone else had that problem?

Back to the 'registration key' issue: folks, as I've said before, I'm not worrying about a measly $25.00; what I _AM_ concerned about is the ... ohhhhhh ... SEVERAL HUNDRED hours of my time that I have invested in this program, mainly in the form of work on the alpha and beta team and exchanging posts about the program. Anyway, while there are still a few bugs that I would really like to see fixed, I would be happy as a duck with the program right now if I knew for certain that I would always be able to continue to use it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, including Jeff and Lathe.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
Bobby_M
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bobby_M »

Bill,
Thanks for the lengthy reply. I hear you about the time investment. I want to see the software thrive as much as you do and that's why I've been doing the video tutorials and pushing BTP at homebrewtalk. I think the biggest problem is that beersmith is slightly more intuitive for new users and has more momentum. By the time someone would appreciate the added flexibility (and complexity) of BTP, they're already invested in BS.

Bobby
Bobby_M on Homebrewtalk.com
HP DV9200 Laptop, Intel T5500, 2 Gig RAM, Windows Vista, 17" widescreen display at 1440 x 900 and 32 colors.

my youtube vids: www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I managed to get one of my fellow brewers to switch from BS to BTP. Makes it much easier to trade recipes since he is on a pc and I'm on a mac.
I'd also agree the learning curve is higher in BTP but well worth the effort. Lack of instructions has always been it's Achilles heel (i know bill will agree with that).

Bobby can you post a link to your vids? are they on youtube?

Later,
Jaw

Just noticed the link. Bobby you got some quicksand playing at the end of one of your vids. Nice!
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)