Setting up a mash schedule?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Setting up a mash schedule?

Post by notbob »

Will there be or is there now more info on setting up the mash schedule? I'm having a bit of a time trying to get it to act like the old BTP?

I normally do a simple one step infusion. I mash in to bring the temp to 152, and then let it rest for 60 min, and want to end up at around 145.

The help section wasn't real helpful.

Thanks

Al
jctull
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by jctull »

My understanding is that some mash presets will be added to the right pane along with ingredients and such in the near term. I agree that it makes things much easier when you have a template to follow. You may consider opening a recipe that is already filled in for the mash schedule, saving it as something else, then working from there. You can also create your own templates as in the earlier version. I have not played with any of my older templates at this point with 1.1, but I assume it works as before.

HTH,
John
OS X 10.5, MBP, 2GB
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by notbob »

One problem I have is that all of my recipes are on another computer (Mac) that has a problem. I haven't had time to get it sorted out yet, so I'm on a PC, and starting all over...aarrgghhh!

Actually, I think I just thought of a way to get at some of those files. If I could, I could email them to this computer I guess.... what would be the best way, if I can get onto the backed up files on the Mac? I can't get to the OS to open the app, but I can get to the files.

Then maybe I could help with creating some presets for them
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

reiterative mashing

Post by warthog »

anyone read the december byo? chris colby has developed a new technique for making really big beers. i was trying this weekend to set this up in btp 1.1.0.8.a and couldn't figure out how to do it. anyone else try this? can it even be done?
PC 2.6ghz cel, XPpro,2gbRAM, 1920x1200
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

reiterative mashing

Post by Bob57702 »

I read the article and it's almost exactly like a partigyle I'm preparing to do for a Scotch and Scottish ales. I've done a bit of research several months ago on how to calculate the anticipated gravities and created a spreadsheet. Someone else had done most of the experimentation already. Now if I can remember how to use my spreadsheet I hope to do this brew sometime in the next month. I'm trying to figure out how to use BeerTools to do it unfortunately I don't think it can be done except for the ingredients and the basic mash schedule for each mash. Which, if you think about it, is all you really need. I'll try to remember to post my results in the other section of the forum.
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by warthog »

thanks bob. yeah, i thought about doing it as seperate mashes. so i set up the first, but then i couldn't make the second mash work out.
slothrob

seperate mashes

Post by slothrob »

I think the problem comes in with trying to add any steps after taking runnings (doing a separation step). The program prevents most of these from working.

I think you'd need to do it as 2 recipes, a part a and a part b. Then you could add the two gravities together.

I haven't read it yet, does he indicate what the impact on efficiency will be? I'd expect the first would only give you 60% of your typical gravity, as you're skipping the sparge (correct?). I don't have any idea of what impact, if any, the high gravity second mash would have on efficiency.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by warthog »

since the mash water of the second mash, is actually the wort from the first mash, the efficency went down in most of the experiments. however, water chemistry seems to play a role in this. he was working with making high gravity beers that looked like pilsners. what seems to happen is that the calcuim chloride in the water gets used in the first mash, and is no longer available in the second and third (if used). he recommends adding chalk or gypsum in successive mashes to compensate (i'll need to look at my notes, but i thought you wanted soft water for light beers, so i'm a bit confused by this).

i may just give up on this line of experimentaion. i doubt that any current brewing software can deal with this, since it appears to be a brand new way of making high gravity wort.
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Stepped decoction mash

Post by Bob57702 »

As something possibly for this or a future release. At least I can't see how to do it in the current alpha. I would like to setup a stepped decoction mash as described in the Classic Beer Style Series #9 Bock. It's where you mash-in to about 100F then the first decoction is stepped to rests at 127F, 149F, 162F and then boil in a three decoction mash. Each decoction should raise the total mash to just under the decoction step temperatures. There's other variables such as the decoct rest times and the boil time that would need to be noted also. I'm going to be doing my first Dopplebock brew in this manner in the very near future. So I thought this feature would be great for those of us just enough off center to want to brew in a more traditional Bock method.

Thanks,
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
slothrob

3 decoction schedule

Post by slothrob »

I think you could set up the three decoctions in the schedule field without much difficulty, but you would have to record a Note for the 3 step rest schedule of the decocted grains.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP