Looks like I found a minor bug ...

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Looks like I found a minor bug ...

Post by billvelek »

Looks like I found a minor bug, if you can call it that: the elevation field on the 'Schedule' TAB at bottom of screen does not save. I have tried this several times now; I input my elevation, save the recipe/session by clicking on the menu 'File | Save' and then 'Quit' and restart ... and also when I have quit BTP by clicking the 'Red-X' (upper right corner) and the pop-up asks me "Do you want to save changes to this session before closing?", I click 'Yes', ... but the elevation is still always zero when I reopen BTP. I assume that BTP is supposed to be able to save that info. To the extent that it actually makes any difference in the program, I would think that a user ought to be able to set the elevation for his home brewery and not have to worry about it again.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Works for me..

Post by jeff »

I can get the elevation to be persistent by choosing "Make Default" in the File menu. This saves the elevation setting as a default value that is automatically loaded for new sessions. To make sure the elevation is saved, select "Schedule" as one of the default template options when saving the defaults.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Yep ... it works when saved as the 'default'

Post by billvelek »

Yep ... it works when saved as the 'default'. Sorry about that; I should have thought to try that. Since I don't really know how this factors into BTP ... (I presume it has something to do with how long it takes for the calibrated heat source to bring 'Source Water' to a boil) ... I don't know if the setting for an imported recipe from another user ought to reflect that user's elevation and then have BTP make an adjustment when the second user changes the elevation setting. I don't know if that makes any practical difference in the recipe. I guess this is all pretty minor; I had never bothered to set my elevation for any of my recipes, but it's done now for whatever it's worth.

Thanks, Jeff.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Yep ... it works when saved as the 'default'

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:I don't know if that makes any practical difference in the recipe. I guess this is all pretty minor; I had never bothered to set my elevation for any of my recipes, but it's done now for whatever it's worth.
The only thing elevation affects in BTP is the boiling point of water. This is significant when adding infusion water during the mash because water can only be heated as hot as the boiling point. For example, a brewer in Aspen, CO can only expect to get his water to 197
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Very impressive.

Post by billvelek »

I understand now. You guys have thought of everything, and I am VERY impressed with BTP. Glad I got it to load up again. All I can figure is that my computer must have burped during cleaning and/or defrag and lost a critical BTP file, and once I was able to uninstall and reload it, everything was fine.

As for elevation, I can see your point, and that can be a significant factor. I assume that any recipes that I might import do not use the elevation setting of the original recipe, and that my water additions would be independent of the original recipe and instead are just adjusted for my schedule according to my own settings. Would that be correct?

Thanks.

Bill Velek
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Very impressive.

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:I assume that any recipes that I might import do not use the elevation setting of the original recipe, and that my water additions would be independent of the original recipe and instead are just adjusted for my schedule according to my own settings. Would that be correct?
Any recipe you open is loaded with all of the schedule settings intact. If you want to overwrite the original schedule with your own, you can save a special template that contains ONLY your schedule, and load that AFTER loading the original recipe. This process will overwrite just the schedule portion of the recipe which includes elevation.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff