Please check the Hops database re 'Magnum'

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Please check the Hops database re 'Magnum'

Post by billvelek »

I'm in the middle of preparing a recipe and brewing, and while looking at my inventory of hops, I noticed that my Magnum hops (from Freshops) has an alpha acid percent of just 3.7% whereas the BTP database lists Magnum as having an AA% of 14.5%. That is a HUGE disparity, so either Freshops is selling Magnum hops that are seriously deficient in alpha acids, or have mislabeled my hops (should it say 13.7% instead of 3.7%?), or else the value in the BTP database is way off. Can someone please check this?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

14.5% should be a good number to go with...

Post by lathe »

The AA% checks out Bill. According to the Freshops varieties page.

14.5% should be a good number to go with. Looks like it may be a problem with the printing on the package.

Thanks,
Lathe
BeerTools
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Yeah, there's no way Magnum would come in at 3.7%! I'm going with a package mislabeling -- give Freshops a call and see what they say. I'm sure they'll tell you that it's supposed to be 13.7%.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I concur with Lathe and cj, no way Magnum could be 3.7%. I'd take a closer look at the package and see if it might not be 13.7%. If it's definitely 3.7 then the package is mislabeled.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks, everyone.

Post by billvelek »

I've remarked my label by adding a "1" in front of the 3.7. Apparently just a simple mistake, and I'm okay with it. Just wanted to check. Thanks.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768