Batch Sparge Schedule Question

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
rdwj

Batch Sparge Schedule Question

Post by rdwj »

I've looked at the other batch sparge threads and am pretty confused - probably because I'm new to AG brewing.

Here is what I want to load into a schedule (based on Palmer's first AG chapter)

Single infusion 160* with 2 qt/lb
Target mash of 152 for 60 mins
No mash out
Collect 3-3.5 gals
Add 3.5 gals for sparge at 170*
wait 15 mins
collect

Any advice? I have my equipment calibrated (for the most part) and am looking for the basic steps I need to add. Any help is much appreciated!!
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Well, ... DADGUMMIT ... &^%$*^

Post by billvelek »

I just spent the time to create a sample recipe for you, including a schedule with a batch sparge, using exactly your criteria -- and it came out pretty darn good. I named the recipe "rdwj" so that it would be easy enough for you to locate, and then I tried to find a way to upload the recipe for you to look at it. What the ($^*? How can these be uploaded to BeerTools.com? It's probably just me overlooking something again, but how do I take a recipe created with BTP and post it on BeerTools.com? I can't find any 'upload' command anywhere in BTP, including under the 'OnLine | My Recipes' menu command.

I then went directly to the BeerTools.com website, and I can't see how to do it.

The only other thing I know to do is for you to send me your email address -- mine is billvelek @ alltel.net (drop the spaces) -- and I will try to send you the file as an attachment, and I guess you ought to be able to open it with BTP.

NOTE to Jeff & Lathe: if there really isn't a way to upload BTP files to your website, I think there ought to be, and so I suggest that as a needed feature.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
rdwj

Post by rdwj »

Thanks a ton - emailing you now!
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

rdwj wrote:Thanks a ton - emailing you now!
It's on its way. I hope neither of us have problems with attachments. I haven't sent any in a long time, and don't know whether I'd done it since my ISP changed.

If you have any questions, please continue to post them on this forum, since there are others who will be able to help too, even if they don't have the recipe I've started for you.

By the way, some of those values will probably change a little bit because your calibrations are probably different from mine (different equipment), etc.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
rdwj

crazy files...

Post by rdwj »

For some reason, I can't open it. I get an error that it's an invalid xml file. I tried to change the extension to xml to match others I've downloaded from threads here, but it didn't help.

I'm wondering if it needs to be saved as a template? Those all seem to have the btp.xml extension. I don't think the btp does anything, but it's in the naming convention.

Any ideas?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Sending BTP files

Post by jeff »

The safest way to send .btp files over email is to zip them. Email systems can do unpredictable things with the files especially when they have unfamiliar mime types.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Did you have problems with the instructions I gave you on the Brewboard?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
rdwj

Re: Sending BTP files

Post by rdwj »

jeff wrote:The safest way to send .btp files over email is to zip them. Email systems can do unpredictable things with the files especially when they have unfamiliar mime types.
I got it and was able to save it to my computer fine. Opening it with BTP was a problem. I guess I wasn't very clear - sorry
rdwj

Post by rdwj »

slothrob wrote:Did you have problems with the instructions I gave you on the Brewboard?
No, thanks for those. I'm working through all of this, but am having some trouble with understanding what's what. I thought looking at an actual file might clear some stuff up for me.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

JEFF: Do I need a zip program to send to BeerTools.com?

Post by billvelek »

jeff wrote:The safest way to send .btp files over email is to zip them. Email systems can do unpredictable things with the files especially when they have unfamiliar mime types.
I don't have a program to zip files. Since I presume that I wouldn't be using email to send to BeerTools.com, how do I post a recipe there. Please don't tell me that I have to retype it.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I've emailed BTP files before without problems from my Yahoo account, but it seems to be sending and receiving blank emails at the moment, so I can't send you a file.

Maybe Jeff could post a sample batch sparge somewhere?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Sending BTP files

Post by jeff »

rdwj wrote:
I got it and was able to save it to my computer fine. Opening it with BTP was a problem. I guess I wasn't very clear - sorry
Understood. However, the file opens fine for Bill. This means that something was corrupted in transit. Most likely the line breaks in the notes section of the file were altered in some way. If the file is zipped, then the contents of the file are preserved because .zip is a well known format. Email clients know how to handle .zip files. The file that you received may have seemed ok because you could save it, but the true test is if it will open in BTP.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:snip ... Maybe Jeff could post a sample batch sparge somewhere?
I used to know how to copy a screen and then paste it, but it's been so long since I've done it that I can't remember. Can anyone here help?

Thanks.

Bill Velek
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

On the Mac it's Command + Shift + 3 to take the whole screen, and Command + Shift + 4 to take only a selected part of the screen (drag the area you want copied). It's probably something similar in Windows, except I think our Command is your Control, or something like that.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

alt print screen should get you the active window if you are using windoze
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)